Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who deserves more credit for UK's 1998 National Title?

Tubby or Rick? 74 members have voted

  1. 1. Tubby or Rick?

    • Orlando "Tubby" Smith
      59%
    • "Slick" Rick Pitino
      40%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I want to change my answer to William Avery and Steve Wojo.
:laugh:
  • Replies 57
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have also read where Shepard said that Tubby's style gave them a better chance to comeback in the Duke game. With Pitino they were always looking over their shoulder if they made a mistake and sometimes would play tight. Tubby would allow them a chance to make up for mistakes.
... wasn't that a frequent complaint in the last few years of Tubby's regime, that he was too quick bust out The Glare and bench players who made mistakes?
... wasn't that a frequent complaint in the last few years of Tubby's regime, that he was too quick bust out The Glare and bench players who made mistakes?

And that would have been fine if those coming in were not Sheray Thomas and Brandon Stockton. :p

The "high seed" factor is major one, but I think it shows that Tubby won the games he was favored to win, and that was it. I looked that stat up the other day, it shocked me too.

 

It shocked me too. But then when I looked up just Duke I found that Coach K has not defeated a higher seed in the same time frame. The three incidents I mentioned he was a #1 seed as well as the opponent he defeated. In fact you could probably have to go back to '94 to find a year when Coach K beat a higher seed in the NCAA.

 

Aside from '98 Tubby did not pull any upsets in the tourney. But neither did Pitino. Every game UK won under Pitino in the tourney was against a lower or equal seed. I think the same is probably true with his UL stint. Providence he did beat a higher seed (Georgetown) to get to the final Four I think.

I want to change my answer to William Avery and Steve Wojo.

 

How about Wayne Turner just being a far superior player to either one in that game.

Say what you want about Tubby, but he did a great job that season. 1 thing that sticks out to me is how loose and confident he got the boys to play. UK had to come from 17 down with 8 minutes to go to beat Duke. Then they had to go to overtime to beat a very good Stanford team and then in the Finals come from down 10 at half time to win that game. The players did an outstanding job, but Tubby's strategy that year worked amazingly well.

It shocked me too. But then when I looked up just Duke I found that Coach K has not defeated a higher seed in the same time frame. The three incidents I mentioned he was a #1 seed as well as the opponent he defeated. In fact you could probably have to go back to '94 to find a year when Coach K beat a higher seed in the NCAA.

 

Aside from '98 Tubby did not pull any upsets in the tourney. But neither did Pitino. Every game UK won under Pitino in the tourney was against a lower or equal seed. I think the same is probably true with his UL stint. Providence he did beat a higher seed (Georgetown) to get to the final Four I think.

 

UL beat Washington a few years ago when they were a 1 seed and they beat Tennessee just last week.

Can you vote for the players?

 

:thumb: Nice choice.

 

As far as the question that was ask I say without quesion the answer is Orlando "Tubby" Smith.

I failed to see Rick Pitino on the bench during one game in the 98' season....

I doubt seriously that he conducted one U.K. practice during the 98" season....

 

I give Pitino credit for the recruiting of those players but in NO WAY does he deserve the credit for the 98" National Championship.

People say that Tubby won with Pitino's players and I have failed to see one that recognized that these were also Tubby's players as well. Tubby Smith was on Pitino's staff and I would say also took part in the recruitment of that team as well as input on the coaching and development of that team.

 

Dead Horse Award once again, I believe that 10 years after the fact qualifies it as such.

I guess now a question could arise on who deserves more credit for the turnaround season that Minnesota basketball had this past season Tubby or Rick? That makes about as much sense, Pitno wasn't on the bench or at one Gopher practice last season either and was out of town then as well as during te 98" season. LOL

Want another that deserves credit for the 98" Championship besides the players, how about Bill Keightly (lol) or I guess that there would be some on here that would find way to bash Mr. Wildcat as well.

Say what you want about Tubby, but he did a great job that season. 1 thing that sticks out to me is how loose and confident he got the boys to play. UK had to come from 17 down with 8 minutes to go to beat Duke. Then they had to go to overtime to beat a very good Stanford team and then in the Finals come from down 10 at half time to win that game. The players did an outstanding job, but Tubby's strategy that year worked amazingly well.

 

:thumb::thumb: Good post, I guess maybe that Pitino was calling in intructions during the games in the 98' season:rolleyes::lol: .

Oh wait, he was too busy losing basketball games in Boston. :D

People say that Tubby won with Pitino's players and I have failed to see one that recognized that these were also Tubby's players as well. Tubby Smith was on Pitino's staff and I would say also took part in the recruitment of that team as well as input on the coaching and development of that team.

 

You failed to see anyone recognize that because its not even close to true.

 

Tubby Smith:

1989-91: Kentucky (assistant)

1991-95: Tulsa

1995-97: Georgia

How about both. Huh, I'll be the liberal one here. I'd say, however, considering Pitino's resume at UK and Tubby's, I'd lean more toward giving Pitino the majority of the credit.

How about Wayne Turner just being a far superior player to either one in that game.

 

While it is true, I can't give that much credit to a Wildcat, unless he is named Scott Padgett or Keenan Burton :D

While it is true, I can't give that much credit to a Wildcat, unless he is named Scott Padgett or Keenan Burton :D

 

What about Winston Bennett?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.