Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 5 programs in the mountains

Featured Replies

If I look back over the past 25-30 years, the programs that come to my mind are:

 

Belfry

Corbin

Breathitt Co.

Bell Co.

Pikeville

Rockcastle Co.

Middlesboro

Prestonsburg

 

Russell and Somerset would also belong if they are considered mountain teams.

  • Replies 75
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is tough...it depends on your criteria I suppose. Considering great tradition in the past and recent success, I'd rate Belfry at the top right now. After that, there are a lot of deserving teams depending on what you place the most weight on...past success, tradition, recent success, etc...

 

Breathitt

Bell

Corbin

Middlesboro

Rockcastle

Prestonsburg

Hazard

Pikeville

Johnson Central

Russell

Ashland

 

That's off the top of my head and in no particular order...and some of the those teams are always in the debate as to whether they're a "mountain" team. In any case, there are some pretty good programs in the area.

There is no way that you could consider Hazard or Johnson Central among the elite in the mountains. Until this past year Hazard had never even made it to the semifinals before. Johnson Central has barely done anything in the playoffs also.

 

When talking about the elite you have to mention teams that have played and faired well in the past against the state's elite. I will list 5 that should be considered among the elite of the muntains:

 

Bell

Breathitt

Belfry

Corbin

Rockcastle

I think of Russell and Ashland as part of the mountains and here is my 5 in no particular order.

 

Belfry

Bell Co.

Russell

Ashland

Rockcastle Co.

Breathitt

Bell

Corbin

Middlesboro

Rockcastle

Prestonsburg

Hazard

Pikeville

Johnson Central

Russell

Ashland

 

That's off the top of my head and in no particular order...and some of the those teams are always in the debate as to whether they're a "mountain" team. In any case, there are some pretty good programs in the area.

 

Does this knock Johnson Central out of this discussion or not?

Why should the Pirates get "bonus points" for Final appearances in 3A (vs. 2A) ?!?

 

During the years Belfry made the 3A Final (except this past yr, and even that's debatable), 2A was widely considered to be the stronger classification.

 

:sssh:

 

Not to take anything away from Belfry, they can compete with anyone. But who considered 2A one of the strongest classes? :confused:

Not to take anything away from Belfry, they can compete with anyone. But who considered 2A one of the strongest classes? :confused:

 

Can of worms from the past few years that we don't want to open HAHA

Not to take anything away from Belfry, they can compete with anyone. But who considered 2A one of the strongest classes? :confused:

 

:laugh:

 

Does anyone really think that 2A football was better than any other class in the state besides 1A? (I'm not sure they were better than 1A).

... But who considered 2A one of the strongest classes? :confused:

 

I qualified my statement when I said "during the years". And yes, through much of the '70s and '80s 2A Football was considered superior to 3A. I wasn't forwarding an opinion, only a memory...

 

:bunny:

 

 

And to EKUAlum05: ;):D

It's a good list but why would Johnson Central rate?

 

...

 

Did you miss the "...can all claim to be in some form of "Top 5 Mountain Team" list (Titles, Historical, you name it, etc)" part of my supposition ?

 

Say you wanted to name the "5 Most Improved" programs over the past 5 yrs... Johnson Central would HAVE to be on that list.

 

It all comes down to one's definition of "Top 5"... :cool:

I was told that Russell wasn't a "mountain school." For what it's worth I don't know where the magical line is or isn't for the distinction.

 

As to your point I think Corbin would rank ahead of Russell considering the scope and history of the program. While Russell has a strong tradition and 2 titles, Corbin has won 3 KHSAA playoffs and appeared in the finals at other times. The Hounds are usually in the mix of their Region and area most years and the state some years.

 

I can't believe I just took up for the Redhounds. :scared: That was creepy for me.

 

But thanks anyway, take two aspirins and you'll feel better in the morning.;)

I qualified my statement when I said "during the years". And yes, through much of the '70s and '80s 2A Football was considered superior to 3A. I wasn't forwarding an opinion, only a memory...

 

:bunny:

 

 

And to EKUAlum05: ;):D

 

70's and 80's. Ok. I was thinking more along the last 2 decades. :thumb:

I qualified my statement when I said "during the years". And yes, through much of the '70s and '80s 2A Football was considered superior to 3A. I wasn't forwarding an opinion, only a memory...

 

:bunny:

 

 

And to EKUAlum05: ;):D

 

I am sure Highlands and Danville and Franklin-Simpson would debate that thought.

70's and 80's. Ok. I was thinking more along the last 2 decades. :thumb:

 

That's another reason this is such an open-ended thread. There's no time parameter.

 

LOL...I've lived long enough to remember a LOT of football seasons.

 

:sssh: :lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.