Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 5 programs in the mountains

Featured Replies

This would be my top 5

1. Belfry

2. Breathitt Co.

3. Bell Co.

4. Rock

5. Pikeville and Corbin tie

  • Replies 75
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Belfry

Bell

Breathitt

Rockcastle

Corbin

1. (tie) Bell County

1. (tie) Belfry

3. Rockastle

4. Breathitt

5. Corbin

 

I think Belfry has a strong argument, but Bell plays tougher competition. Both schools have legendary coaches who play a similar style. Also I couldnt tell you the records, but back when Bell and Belfry played each other in the 90s it was really back and fourth between the 2 programs.

Is Russell not considered a mountain school because I think they deserve to be up their over Corbin.

Is Russell not considered a mountain school because I think they deserve to be up their over Corbin.

 

Johnson Central too! I consider them a mountain school (every bit as much as the Rock) and JC definitely would be in my top 5 list.

1. Belfry

2. Bell Co.

3. Johnson Central

4. Corbin

5. Pikeville

Is Russell not considered a mountain school because I think they deserve to be up their over Corbin.

There are no mountains in Russell.

Most are answering from a historical viewpoint, and I agree with most of them.

 

I'm going to be different and answer by ranking the mountain teams that I feel have their program at the highest level, at this point in time, within their playing class. More of a "snapshot" answer.

 

This isn't a list of which teams could beat the others. For example, I think Rockcastle could beat Hazard, but at this point in time, I think Hazard's program could be considered stronger because of the success they are having within their class, and they are making more of a difference on the statewide level. Same thinking with Bell Co and Belfry, although I think thats a smaller gap.

 

Here is my ranking of strongest programs at this time.

 

Belfry

Bell Co

Hazard

Corbin

Somerset / Johnson Central / Rockcastle

1. (tie) Bell County

1. (tie) Belfry

3. Rockastle

4. Breathitt

5. Corbin

 

I like this one. I would put Breathitt ahead of Rockcastle because they have a ring and Rockcastle doesn't.

I like this one. I would put Breathitt ahead of Rockcastle because they have a ring and Rockcastle doesn't.

 

I agree with you, other than that is looks good.

I like this one. I would put Breathitt ahead of Rockcastle because they have a ring and Rockcastle doesn't.

 

They have 3.

Johnson Central too! I consider them a mountain school (every bit as much as the Rock) and JC definitely would be in my top 5 list.

 

Why?

 

Rockcastle County was one of the winningest programs in the 90's. They are currently #7 in the state with most wins since 1990.

 

JC had a good year in 2000 and 2006. Other than that what justifies them being over a team that has been to 8 regional championships in that time span and to Louisville X 2...

 

They beat two NKY schools on their way to Louisville and Cov Cath at Park Hills.

Is Russell not considered a mountain school because I think they deserve to be up their over Corbin.

 

I was told that Russell wasn't a "mountain school." For what it's worth I don't know where the magical line is or isn't for the distinction.

 

As to your point I think Corbin would rank ahead of Russell considering the scope and history of the program. While Russell has a strong tradition and 2 titles, Corbin has won 3 KHSAA playoffs and appeared in the finals at other times. The Hounds are usually in the mix of their Region and area most years and the state some years.

 

I can't believe I just took up for the Redhounds. :scared: That was creepy for me.

Why?

 

Rockcastle County was one of the winningest programs in the 90's. They are currently #7 in the state with most wins since 1990.

 

JC had a good year in 2000 and 2006. Other than that what justifies them being over a team that has been to 8 regional championships in that time span and to Louisville X 2...

 

They beat two NKY schools on their way to Louisville and Cov Cath at Park Hills.

 

 

I would wholeheartedly agree with that assessment 3Wishes. Rock has been to the carpet twice and lost to some very good teams other years to keep them from more post season glory. I don't see Johnson Central making much of an argument at all next to Rockastle.

Why?

 

Rockcastle County was one of the winningest programs in the 90's. They are currently #7 in the state with most wins since 1990.

 

JC had a good year in 2000 and 2006. Other than that what justifies them being over a team that has been to 8 regional championships in that time span and to Louisville X 2...

 

They beat two NKY schools on their way to Louisville and Cov Cath at Park Hills.

 

Sorry about that. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I realize the Rock has had more success over along period than JC. When comparing JC to the Rock, I meant JC was just as much of a mountain school as the Rock. Heck, I'm not sure I consider Rockcastle County as really being in the mountains. Foothills maybe, but not true mountains. Who knows I may be setting myself up to get a real geography lesson on Rockcastle County. I just know that when I travel there I don't remember crossing any mountains once I get west of 75.

 

And I agree that JC does not have anywhere near the history of the other schools mentioned. I was only considering the current level of program (not historical level) and JC's current level is pretty darn strong I'd say. Maybe I'm wrong however.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.