Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top 5 programs in the mountains

Featured Replies

Highlands defeated them twice in the finals.
Nope, Boyle County beat them twice in the finals.
  • Replies 75
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, Boyle County beat them twice in the finals.

 

I stand corrected! I thought for some odd reason Highlands beat them once! LOL I'll claim old age on this one!

I stand corrected! I thought for some odd reason Highlands beat them once! LOL I'll claim old age on this one!

 

Rockcastle County Playoff Losses:

 

1983: Danville - 1st Round

1991: Danville - Region (18-13)

1992: Danville - Region

1993: Danville - 2nd Round

1994: Danville - 2nd Round

1995: Boyle County - 2nd round

1996: Boyle County - 1st Round

1997: Lexington Catholic - 1st Round (LC was a 4 seed.)

1998: Boyle County - 1st Round

1999: Lawrence County - Region (West, Parker and Co.)

2000: Highlands - Semis

2001: Boyle County - State

2002: Boyle County - State

2003: Mason County - 2nd Round ( Lofton and Co.) 21-19

2004: Ashland - 2nd Round (Double OT)

2005: Lexington Catholic - Semis

2006: Johnson Central - Region

2007: Bell County - 2nd Round

1. Belfry

2. Breathitt County

3. Johnson Central

4. Bell County

5. Corbin

Corbin has 5 state titles, 3 of which came under the new format and numerous trips to the title game. There are many years in which they are in the hunt only to lose in the state semis as well. This past year Corbin was #2 and lost to #1 NCC in a game Corbin led 16-7 at halftime in the 3rd round.

1. Belfry

2. Breathitt County

3. Johnson Central

4. Bell County

5. Corbin

 

Johnson Central over Bell County? I think in what 1 or 2 years in the last probably 10, 15, or 20 years, Johnson Central had a team go farther than Bell Co. in the playoffs. I don't see how you can put them ahead of Bell County.

There are no mountains in Russell.

 

I thought you had to have two mountains to have one hollow. We have all kinds of Hollows. We have Barker Hollow, Pancake hollow, McCoy hollow just to name a few. Now tell me how can you have a hollow without two mountains?

Johnson Central over Bell County? I think in what 1 or 2 years in the last probably 10, 15, or 20 years, Johnson Central had a team go farther than Bell Co. in the playoffs. I don't see how you can put them ahead of Bell County.

Cause their my team!

OUR TEAM!!!!!!:thumb:

Come, come, boys, there are enough Eagles to go around.:lol:

I consider Russell and Ashland part of the Mountains.

 

Actually anyone in the 16th is.

I have an official man-crush on Hatz. biggrin.gif

 

 

But Belfry still wins because 4 of their trips were in 3A.

 

Here is the math. :cool:

 

Belfry 4x3A=12 plus 2x2A=4, Total=16

Corbin 7x2A=14

Breathitt 3x3A=9

Pikeville 6x1A=6

 

 

Why should the Pirates get "bonus points" for Final appearances in 3A (vs. 2A) ?!?

 

During the years Belfry made the 3A Final (except this past yr, and even that's debatable), 2A was widely considered to be the stronger classification.

 

:sssh:

Why should the Pirates get "bonus points" for Final appearances in 3A (vs. 2A) ?!?

 

During the years Belfry made the 3A Final (except this past yr, and even that's debatable), 2A was widely considered to be the stronger classification.

 

:sssh:

 

1979

Class AA Champ Ft Campbell

Class AAA Champ Franklin Simpson

 

1985

Class AA Champ Mayfield

Class AAA Champ Paducah Tighlman

 

1986

Class AA Champ Mayfield

Class AAA Champ Owensboro

 

Those are the 3 times that Belfry was a State Runner-up. I'll let everyone see what they remember from those teams to see if your claim holds up. I don't think AAA was necessarily always that much tougher than AA but we can see.

 

Wasn't the '85 PT team the one with Kurt Barber and all those athletes? I know the '86 Belfry team barely beat a very talented Danville Squad in the AAA semi-finals in the muddy game. Ads came back to win AA in their first year in '87. As to '79 Ft Campbell and AA was loaded then. Franklin-Simpson was in midst of their impressive run to the finals of 5 times in 9 yeras.

 

I don't know that AAA was head and shoulders above AA but I don't think it's clear that AA was necessarily better either.

In alphabetical order only, the following teams can all claim to be in some form of "Top 5 Mountain Team" list (Titles, Historical, you name it, etc).

 

Basically, I'd call this a sort of "Who's Who" in Mountain Football:

 

Belfry

Bell Co.

Breathitt Co.

Corbin

Hazard

Johnson Central

Lawrence Co.

Middlesboro

Paintsville

Pikeville

Prestonsburg

Rockcastle Co.

 

:bunny:

In alphabetical order only, the following teams can all claim to be in some form of "Top 5 Mountain Team" list (Titles, Historical, you name it, etc).

 

Basically, I'd call this a sort of "Who's Who" in Mountain Football:

 

Belfry

Bell Co.

Breathitt Co.

Corbin

Hazard

Johnson Central

Lawrence Co.

Middlesboro

Paintsville

Pikeville

Prestonsburg

Rockcastle Co.

 

:bunny:

 

It's a good list but why would Johnson Central rate?

 

How many finals has Lawrence County been too? They had a great run but few title game appearances.

 

Why Hazard?

 

When I look at the list the only ones with titles are: Belfry, Middlesboro, Pikeville, Bell, Breathitt and Corbin. I think you start there and then add in other teams like Prestonsburg and Rockastle who have been to the main stage. The others had good runs but never made it to the state state.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.