Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Technical Story

Featured Replies

Last season while covering a game at St. Pat, with the Saints hosting Bracken, coaches Hinson and Fite got T'ed up within I want to say a few minutes of each other (regardless, it was in the same quarter, before the half). Coming out of the locker room, in only the way Coach Hinson can say, in response to the rule that a T'ed up coach has to sit the rest of the game... "Well, now that we've both got one, are we even? Can we stand up now?" As small a gym as the CloverDome is, he had everyone laughing, referee included.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting too old; my memory isn't as reliable as it once was. Wasn't there a 10th Region tournament game several years ago where someone (I'm thinking Mason County but I may be mistaken) shot something like 8 free throws at the end of the game because of multiple technicals? If so, does anyone remember if the Ts were all on the same individual?

One of my all time favorites is a Jimmy V story.

 

He asked the official if he could get a technical for what he was thinking. The referee replied with of course not Coach. I cant T you up for your thoughts.

Jimmy V said well good then because I think you suck.

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Saw a coach who didn't care for a call start walking down the sideline like he was blind with a stick in his hand. The ref had a big smile throwing that T.:lol:

I heard of a high school pep band who received a technical for playing "3 Blind Mice" after a bad call. Don't ask me how I heard about it. :sssh:

A coach told me at a old highschool he coached at the referee told him not to get up out of his chair again or it was a T, so he had the assistant go get him a computer chair so he could roll around.

^^^I agree and lbbc seems to be the center of attention in this thread.

I remember I was coaching a JV game and one of the refs didn't make the game so we only had one ref and he did a good job. About a week later he had another of our games and was working with another ref. In my opinion he missed several calls and I said "are you taking tonight off because you pulled double duty last week?" He said "that will be enough" I later said "Your going to be calling a girls JV game next week if you keep this up" He said " Your wrong." I said I agree, I meant an elementary girls game. Bang, there went the big T.

I'm getting too old; my memory isn't as reliable as it once was. Wasn't there a 10th Region tournament game several years ago where someone (I'm thinking Mason County but I may be mistaken) shot something like 8 free throws at the end of the game because of multiple technicals? If so, does anyone remember if the Ts were all on the same individual?
Brossart gave up a ten point play at St. Patrick during the Jay Gast era. BB coach Jon Quatman received two technicals, when the official went to the scorers table to record them our scorer gave him a piece of his mind and got two more prior to being ejected.

 

Gast went to the line and hit all 8 free-throws and then, before our defense could set up, had a teammate grab the ensuing inbounds pass and scored the 10th consecutive point, which broke open a previously close game.

 

To this day there is a wooden insert (or a metal insert) in the bottom of the visitor's locker room door at St. Pats where JQ expressed himself by kicking out the original bottom panel on his way out.

 

Not our finest hour!

During my days as a girls varsity coach there were times when I would intentionally draw a T in defense of my team or to fire them up, which is normally not that hard to do.

 

On one night in particular I was steamed and wanted to fire them up, so I informed the stripes as he went passed (with the other team in possession of the ball, of course) that he had made a horse-crap (not the exact wording) call, which he totally ignored. When I changed the verbage to "You are horse-crap (not the exact wording)" - mission accomplished!

A former coach of mine got T'd up and tossed out of the game in the early moments of a game in the Lexcath tourney. As the bus was leaving after the game, it backed up and crushed a car directly behind it. I am sure you know how this story ends. Thats right, the car belonged to the official who T'd the coach up.

I saw a coach walk up to a referee on a dead ball at half court and he whispered "throw me out of this game, or I'm really going to cause a scene.":sssh: I'm not sure if he didn't want to coach in the next game, or he was just trying to fire his guys up. The opposing team couldn't figure out what had happened, but the referee told their head coach after the game, which is how I heard the story. Watching the game all you see is the coach walk up to and whisper to the ref, I couldn't imagine what he was saying. I sure thought it was more than asking to be thrown out.

This happened back in the early '90's. We played in a freshmen tournament and were playing the host team. About halfway thru the 1st quarter we already had over 10 team fouls called against us, of course the home team had very few. About midway thru the second quarter our post player picks up his 3rd foul. As the ref comes over to signal the foul I had the following exchange - "Hey Can I ask you a question?" The ref replied "Sure". "Can I use all my timeouts at one time?" Ref -"Yeah" , "well if I call all my timeouts in a row.......will that give me enough time to fire up the bus, go back to school and bring some more players back to the game? Looks like I'm going to run out by halftime!"

 

Of course I recieved a technical AND he made me use all my timeouts in a row. Funny thing is, I was and still am good friends with that official. Also he has called in several state tourneys.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.