Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Technical Story

Featured Replies

MS game early in my career. Horrible no-call happened and just seconds later, the ref calls a foul. Well, I am at the scorer's table waiting for him. He comes up and before I have a chance to say anything, he says, "Coach I messed (not the word he used) up and missed the call. I am sorry."

 

I said okay and went back to my bench.

  • Replies 83
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best stories I ever heard involved Jock Sutherland. When he was coaching at Gallatin County (I believe), he ran out onto the court. The referee told him that he was going to get a technical foul for every step back to the bench. So his players carried him back to the bench. I don't recall the final outcome.

 

 

 

Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had a official that was consistatly bad this year in a 7th Grade Tournament. Every time he came to the scorers table he would call the foul and emphatically call the foul. For example. "Block 2--- 1 Blue" Finally he came to the scorers table to call a foul on my guard #15.

 

He looked at the lady at table and proceeded to say and signal a holding foul...

"hold ---1--- 5----blue" I looked at him with wide eyes and did my best impersonation "traveling-----2----5----white!!!!!!".

 

He then looked at me and signaled "Technical Foul---YOU---COACH!!!!"

 

I couldn't help but laugh.

I once witnessed a coach get a T for saying Thank You. to the offical shortly after they recieved there first T.

 

I've received several that way. The best, and worst I apologized to the ref after the game and everyone that heard.. I got a T for telling a ref that he refeered like he used to play and you stink at both.

Wow!!! :scared::scared::scared::scared:

  • Author

One of my all time favorites is a Jimmy V story.

 

He asked the official if he could get a technical for what he was thinking. The referee replied with of course not Coach. I cant T you up for your thoughts.

Jimmy V said well good then because I think you suck.

I almost got an assistant a technical at Bracken. JV game and official tells us to quit calling for a charge cause there is no such call in the rulebook and he didn't believe in them.

 

Later on, he was in front of our bench and I expressed my opinion. He thought the JV said it and ripped into him. About 6 inches from him, ripping him.

 

He leaves, the JV coach turns to me and I told him that he needs to do what the ref said and keep quiet.:D:lol:

I was at a game one time when the coach got a T not sure why but maybe for a nasty look at the offical. Really wasn't anything to warrant a T. A few days later that coach came across that ref at a game and asked what was the T really for i did nothing wrong. The offical replied when i looked over at you on the sidelines with that look you reminded me of my wife, so i gave you a T.

There is a legendary story that is probably a myth, but the way I heard it was that a coach in the mountains stormed out on the floor to protest a call and ripped into the official. The official let him say a few things and get it out of his system. When the coach was done, the official told him that he was calling a technical for each step it took for him to get back to the bench.

 

Without moving his feet, the coach summoned two players to pick him up and carry him back to the bench.

 

No technical cause he didn't take nary a step.

 

Heard it but not sure it actually happened.

 

Partly true. Basketball historians have told me that story and it involved Jock Sutherland when he was coaching Lafayette. I tend to put more fact than fiction into that one.

 

Got my own story for you, My first year coaching MS girls, I never even stood up from my chair and said to my post player "Gosh dang it Susie are you going to guard anybody?" The official looked at me and said that's enough coach and T'd me up. When I asked why he said you're not going to curse. When I asked what I had said his reply was "One more word coach and you are gone". This happened in the first half and at halftime he comes over and says "you can't talk that way". I said what way and repeated what I said. He says that is not

what he heard. My reply was "Well maybe you need t

o have your hearing checked too" and walked to the locker room.

I will swear on a stack of bibles to this day that is EXACTLY what I said.

A former Trimble County coach got a technical for "hitting" an official. He had his back to the official and the official had his head turned toward the ball being dribbled up the court and away from the coach. The coach threw his arms out to express displeasure at one of his players and smacked the official up side the head. Needless to say, he got the T and would have gotten tossed, except that the other official saw it happen and explained it to the one that got hit.

Had to be when Scott played the Austrillian national team. It was the coaches 2nd technical and was called by a student yellin out, stop your yelling, you might as well get t'ed up again, the coach yells back your right, these refs suck, sure enough he was ejected.

I will be checking this thread on a regular basis over the next day or two.:thumb:

One of the best stories I ever heard involved Jock Sutherland. When he was coaching at Gallatin County (I believe), he ran out onto the court. The referee told him that he was going to get a technical foul for every step back to the bench. So his players carried him back to the bench. I don't recall the final outcome.

 

My dad told me that one about 40 years ago. And yes it was at Gallatin Co.

I saw a coach get 3 technicals in a game last year. I didn't think that was possible. Does anyone what the official rule is?

How about when former KY high school referee, John Hampton, T'd up Houston coach Tom Penders in a Conference USA game against UAB? Penders, who has a heart ailment, collapsed to the floor right after Hampton had called a foul on a Houston player. Hampton, thinking Penders was protesting the call, gave him a technical. After Penders was removed from the gym on a stretcher, the three officials huddled and decided NOT to rescind the technical! :confused: I still give John a hard time about this every time I see him. :lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.