Whitley Co. 59 Williamsburg 50

Williamsburg came with an inspired effort and appeared to really play better as a team, while Whitley did not play as well as in the past couple of games. The Colonels still found a way to outscore the Jackets and come away with the district victory.

The zone of Williamsburg gave Whitley some trouble but Jordan McCumbers hit enough 3's and Mikey Storms came off the bench and really lifted the offense.

Whitley really did not have the type of game that theyare capable of, some I am sure was due to it being Williamsburg (rival game) and some was what Williamsburg was doing.

Baker has done alot with the kids building the team concept and they are really playing into it. I look for continued growth by the Colonels as the holidays approach.

Good competitive game for both teams.Williamsburg had a chance to quit early but battled back and made this an entertaining game. The Jackets gave Coach Robinson a much better effert. Teague struggled early but hung in there and ended up having a pretty good game. Pettit and Tayler are becoming basketball players again rather than football players playing basketball. Tayler played a very nice overall game tonight. Cunningham played a solid game. He has a great midrange game and needs to rely on that instead of shooting so many threes. When he drives and pulls up he is nearly unstoppable. The Barton kid has a bright future. Thomas Rains plays as hard as anyone and seems to do all the tough things. For Whitley the Crawford and Lowery kid put on clinics as how to make your team better. They are tough nosed kids who do all the little things that are so important. Ben Prewitt's court awareness is invaluable to the Colonels. The McCumbers kid makes big shots every time I see him play. Lebanion is a super athlete who you have to be aware of where he is at at all times. This was a fine high school game and both teams showed that they have improved from last year. I had given Williamsburg up for dead after the Jellico game but Coach Robinson pulled some tricks out of his bag and has his bunch headed in the right direction.

Good competitive game for both teams.Williamsburg had a chance to quit early but battled back and made this an entertaining game. The Jackets gave Coach Robinson a much better effert. Teague struggled early but hung in there and ended up having a pretty good game. Pettit and Tayler are becoming basketball players again rather than football players playing basketball. Tayler played a very nice overall game tonight. Cunningham played a solid game. He has a great midrange game and needs to rely on that instead of shooting so many threes. When he drives and pulls up he is nearly unstoppable. The Barton kid has a bright future. Thomas Rains plays as hard as anyone and seems to do all the tough things. For Whitley the Crawford and Lowery kid put on clinics as how to make your team better. They are tough nosed kids who do all the little things that are so important. Ben Prewitt's court awareness is invaluable to the Colonels. The McCumbers kid makes big shots every time I see him play. Lebanion is a super athlete who you have to be aware of where he is at at all times. This was a fine high school game and both teams showed that they have improved from last year. I had given Williamsburg up for dead after the Jellico game but Coach Robinson pulled some tricks out of his bag and has his bunch headed in the right direction.

I would agree on your assessment of the game, but I hope for Williamsburg fans it is not a one game mirage brought on by the cross town rival thing. This game always brings out the best and unfortunatley the worst in the teams. I think fans saw alittle bit of both tonight at different times for both teams. I thought Whitley bench was MUCH deeper and more effective than Williamsburgs was, example Dee Butcher coming off the bench and getting a big three in no time and lifting his team and he was the 11th guy to play, that is some serious depth.

Great effort by the Jackets. If they conitnue to play like that, they can be competitive. Guards seemed to buy into the fact that they need to get the ball inside. Post players worked hard. Whitley hit some big 3's, but I think Robinson would be content to give up those shots figuring that teams can't hit them night in night out. Whitley's bench was very impressive, they are much deeper than I had realized.

I would agree on your assessment of the game, but I hope for Williamsburg fans it is not a one game mirage brought on by the cross town rival thing. This game always brings out the best and unfortunatley the worst in the teams. I think fans saw alittle bit of both tonight at different times for both teams. I thought Whitley bench was MUCH deeper and more effective than Williamsburgs was, example Dee Butcher coming off the bench and getting a big three in no time and lifting his team and he was the 11th guy to play, that is some serious depth.

I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong. Was truly surprised at Williamsburg and hope this is the trend for the remainder of the season. Williamsburg finally played unselfish team basketball, with not nearly the finger pointing that has been seen on other nights. Pettit is going to be a hoss cat. I thought Aaron Brock came off the bench and gave a nice spark. Actually saw some nice screens to free up shots tonight. That being said, Whitley played everyone except the water girl. Nice depth. I hope going into the Bowman tournament the Jackets will continue to improve and get a couple of W's under their belts.

I agree Williamsburg made drastic improvement in how hard they played. When you play harder, you get more things done. One thing I don't understand is why Williamsburg isn't playing more people. They played the 6 or 7 top players to death, they had zero chance for a run late because they were out of energy.

The Williams kid had played a lot early, don't know why he didn't play last night. There were also other kids on the bench that could be playing some minutes. You can't develop depth unless you play them.

Over the course of a season, those 6-7 kids will wear down.

I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong. Was truly surprised at Williamsburg and hope this is the trend for the remainder of the season. Williamsburg finally played unselfish team basketball, with not nearly the finger pointing that has been seen on other nights. Pettit is going to be a hoss cat. I thought Aaron Brock came off the bench and gave a nice spark. Actually saw some nice screens to free up shots tonight. That being said, Whitley played everyone except the water girl. Nice depth. I hope going into the Bowman tournament the Jackets will continue to improve and get a couple of W's under their belts.

I don't mind admitting when I am right, and I was right in calling this game when I said Williamsburg had too much talant to get blown out. It being a rival type game certainly helped, but it did show if left alone Coach Robinson can get that team moving in the right direction. All sports are really great, right up until the parents get involved, at least 99% of them.

Williamsburg does need to develop some depth, and the only way to do that is play them. Whitley played all but two who dressed and had 10 people score for them. There is not much of a drop off from 1-11, and I don't know whether that is good or bad but at least you have the option of going with alot of kids. I saw in last nights game, Coach Baker come in with a new 5 several times and they really wore the Burg down,.

Guess I'm going to have to agree with Apex on the Whitley depth. What was really impressive was that Coach Baker had the confidence to have only 1 starter on the floor, up about 7, midway through 4th quarter.

The Williams kid can help, but has difficulty against quick, aggressive defenders. It showed last night. He had several turnovers in short stint. He is very heady player, has good ideas and moves, but is unable to execute against quick defenses.

Brock gave some very valuable minutes.

Rains works his tail off when in the game.

Pettit fouls enough to get adequate rest since hemust be subbed for to prevent fouling out. Pettit by the way is getting better daily and I look to see good things out of him. Just want him to keep head in check and not get "frustration fouls."

Teague works hard, good hands, just get fatigues because he is usually battling someone stronger so he has to exert more energy.

Cunningham and Taylor seem to be buying into Coach Robinson's inside-out philosophy.

Barton is huge help. Young, but very calm demeanor, could care less about his numbers, you can see him trying to do what coach says.

It's hard to prepare for high pressure defense when you don't have the personnel to go against that in practice.

Keep working Jackets, I'd love to see you sneak up and get some W's in the Bowman.