Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lone Oak, what is the deal?

Featured Replies

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Purple Flash. They had a GREAT year and lost at the stadium every team in the state dreams of playing at, but are they the weakest team to ever make the State Championship game?

 

I think because of a soft schedule and less compeative Western portion of the state in AAAA that they put up several stats there were mis-leading? Has the new 6 class alingment lead us to where we will see State Championships like this from time to time?

  • Replies 69
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2002 Class 2A Title game between Corbin and Breathitt County was probably worse than the Lone Oak/Catholic game.

 

Oh and btw Corbin also came out of the west that year.

Yes....in hindsight, Lone Oak was borderline fraudulent in their ability. Granted they beat almost everyone who lined up against them, however, it was shown that there was no competition whatsoever......

are they the weakest team to ever make the State Championship game?

 

Not by a long shot. I agree with SEB about that '02 game, and in the recent past I'd have to say Waggener in 1998 and Rockcastle in '01 and '02 were at least as badly overmatched, if not more so.

 

But yes, there will be games like this more often than there used to be.

St. X was on the West side of the 6A bracket...

 

maybe that's why they lost.

Warren East probably played the 2nd best 4A schedule behind LexCath and Lone Oak beat them.

 

Whoever stepped into the stadium against Catholic today was going to get smoked.

  • Author
Warren East probably played the 2nd best 4A schedule behind LexCath and Lone Oak beat them.

 

Whoever stepped into the stadium against Catholic today was going to get smoked.

 

 

What about Bell Co. I'm sure Hilton and Co. would have loved a shot at the West this year.

I'm sure they would. But you can't say they played any tougher regular season schedule unless you consider teams with losing records in Eastern Kentucky are better than teams with losing records in Western Kentucky.

 

Sometimes you schedule what there is to schedule.

 

There is no doubt Dudley Hilton is a great coach, he has won everywhere he's been... see Bourbon County.

 

Likewise, Jack Haskins has won everywhere he's been as well... see Heath and Calloway County.

Let's not take anything away from Lone Oak because just a few years ago (01) they didn't even win a game 0-10 now they went 14-1 and class 4A State Runner Up.

 

Not to bad If you ask me ,Great Season L.O.:thumb:

They simply didn't match up well with Catholic, especially in the trenches. With the exceptions of Lex Cath and possibly Bell County, there wasn't anyone else in Class 4A that was better than Lone Oak.

What about Bell Co. I'm sure Hilton and Co. would have loved a shot at the West this year.

 

As would Harrison County.

As would Harrison County.

 

I think Harrison's road was easier in the east. Harrison County lost earlier in the year to Marion County and they were eventually defeated in the second round in the west.

I just think the 4-A class as a whole is way down!

 

Lone Oak had a great season and big congrats to those guys.

 

Jack Haskins in shorts on a day like this?

Not by a long shot. I agree with SEB about that '02 game, and in the recent past I'd have to say Waggener in 1998 and Rockcastle in '01 and '02 were at least as badly overmatched, if not more so.

 

But yes, there will be games like this more often than there used to be.

 

 

The 02 Corbin team and the 01 and 02 Rock teams were probably even more out matched. Neither program had a hint of a chance in the finals.

The 02 Corbin team and the 01 and 02 Rock teams were probably even more out matched. Neither program had a hint of a chance in the finals.

 

I don't know if I want to get sucked into this debate but I will say this: The Rockastle team in '01 thought they belonged being 14-0 and devestating many foes. Those Rock teams also had to beat a good Cov Cath squad in '01 and stomped a Highlands team (40-9) to get to the finals. To say they hadn't played anybody might have been a bit unfair. I'm not sure anybody would have come any closer to Boyle on those 2 days.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.