Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lone Oak, what is the deal?

Featured Replies

The 02 Corbin team and the 01 and 02 Rock teams were probably even more out matched. Neither program had a hint of a chance in the finals.

I will agree...somewhat. You play the games for a reason, but everyone knew it was an uphill climb against of the greatest dynasties in Kentucky High School history.

 

I don't know if I want to get sucked into this debate but I will say this: The Rockastle team in '01 thought they belonged being 14-0 and devestating many foes. Those Rock teams also had to beat a good Cov Cath squad in '01 and stomped a Highlands team (40-9) to get to the finals. To say they hadn't played anybody might have been a bit unfair. I'm not sure anybody would have come any closer to Boyle on those 2 days.

 

Very good point, it is hard to say that a team that beat Covington Catholic and KILLED Highlands would be a weak team. Again, I will say that they were probably overmatched, no doubt about it, the final scores PROVE that.

 

I just want to make sure that nobody sees this thread and thinks Rockcastle's State Runner-Up teams were weak because that is insane and dangerous thinking.

 

 

 

Anyway, back to the Lone Oak discussions, I had to make a point and I apologize for that.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LexCath's strength defensively all year has been their ability to pressure the passer. Most teams are able to counteract this by running the ball effectively. When I saw that lone Oak passes 90% of the time I thought this might be a blowout. If LO could have delayed the rush somehow, they could have given us fits since our secondary wasn't as strong as recent years. In other words, Lone Oak had the perfect scheme for a blowout by the LexCath defensive strength.

 

Not sure how many games you were actually at this year KnightsDad, but the secondary did a heck of job through out the year in covering the pass and also defending the run. While it is true that Revere was not there this year and he was the real-deal shut down corner, the secondary of Lex Cath this year actually worked very well together as a unit and they did not give up the big play. In fact two-thirds of the secondary started every game in 2006 and the other third had lots of reps as well so in 2007 they undoubtedly came into the season with experience. In addition to this experience at free-safety and corner, the Knight and Rover positions also had second year experience at the varsity level and both had a better recognition when to drop back into pass coverage. Because of this, the secondary was less likely to have one person trying to cover a flooded zone, for example, like that which was seen in 2006 against Franklin County and quarterback Ammons. Overall this defensive unit for 2007 worked as well together as any defensive team ever fielded by Lexington Catholic - it may have not had as many 'super stars' (minus d-1 recruit Winston Guy), but for a bunch of 'no-name-players', they were able to execute a well-conceived game plan week in and week out. It's been nice to have a head coach who is truly committed to defense, afterall, it is defense that wins championships, and arguably, that is what helped win in 2005, too.

I will agree with Rockcastle being overmatched but nowhere near weak. Boyle County was OUTSTANDING

 

Didn't say they were weak, just overmatched.

 

More to the topic, it doesn't mean any of these teams didn't belong in the finals, including Lone Oak. You play who you think you should play for 6 or 7 games, and the quality of your district and playoff competition is beyond your control.

 

There are blowouts in championship competition at every level of sports. Just look at the last 4 World Series and all those ugly Super Bowls. One side of any given playoff bracket will almost always be stronger than the other, so you play who's in front of you and keep climbing until you hit the ceiling, which every team but one does.

I wouldn't put the two Rockcastle teams in the same category as the 2002 Corbin team, which I felt was the weakest I had ever seen at the state finals. I think it's clear that Rockcastle wasn't the #2 team in 3A those years, but we've been down that road before.

 

Given Lone Oak's performance on Saturday, I can understand why some would think that. It was a case of a pretty good team getting steamrolled by a clearly superior opponent. It happens sometimes, even in the state finals.

Didn't say they were weak, just overmatched.

 

More to the topic, it doesn't mean any of these teams didn't belong in the finals, including Lone Oak. You play who you think you should play for 6 or 7 games, and the quality of your district and playoff competition is beyond your control.

 

There are blowouts in championship competition at every level of sports. Just look at the last 4 World Series and all those ugly Super Bowls. One side of any given playoff bracket will almost always be stronger than the other, so you play who's in front of you and keep climbing until you hit the ceiling, which every team but one does.

 

Yes, Rockcastle was overmatched by BOYLE COUNTY, nobody else. This thread makes it seem that the entire SIDE of the bracket that year was not as strong as the other. Rockcastle took the best that Nothern KY had to offer. They beat Highlands 45-6 How many teams can claim that?

 

To sum it all up again, Rockcastle was a legitimate team that was overmatched by Boyle County but not terribly in 2002, that was a 3 possesion game.

 

Why are we talking about Rockcastle when other teams like Waggener (7-56), Tates Creek (7-31), Owensboro (10-48), Glasgow (6-38)??? Are we forgetting about those?

They simply didn't match up well with Catholic, especially in the trenches. With the exceptions of Lex Cath and possibly Bell County, there wasn't anyone else in Class 4A that was better than Lone Oak.

 

Franklin County and Harrison County were both better than Lone Oak.

Franklin County and Harrison County were both better than Lone Oak.

 

An opinion that won't ever be proven. Remember, you can't compare scores.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Purple Flash. They had a GREAT year and lost at the stadium every team in the state dreams of playing at, but are they the weakest team to ever make the State Championship game?

 

I think because of a soft schedule and less compeative Western portion of the state in AAAA that they put up several stats there were mis-leading? Has the new 6 class alingment lead us to where we will see State Championships like this from time to time?

 

Don't take anything away from LO, they were and still are worthy of being where they were.. 14-1 great job. As for everyone doubting them, give it up. LC did the same thing to Bowling Green in 05(49-21) with 2 scores coming against reserves. The west may not be as strong as the east, but LC was just better then both. LO is very good and had a great year, they just faced a better team.

Lone Oak finally got to see what happens when you bring more guys than you can block. In many of the teams they played did not have that kind of speed to cover and bring 6 guys every rip. Most teams just tried to drop everyone into pass coverage and played into the Robinson's hands:fire:

Lone Oak finally got to see what happens when you bring more guys than you can block. In many of the teams they played did not have that kind of speed to cover and bring 6 guys every rip. Most teams just tried to drop everyone into pass coverage and played into the Robinson's hands:fire:

 

I saw Hopkinsville do that to Leslie County and Tim Couch 12 years ago in a regular season matchup. Hyped game to the max, and when Hoptown figured out that Leslie wouldn't do anything but throw, they lined up 11 guys on the D line and it was like letting school out for recess. Couch was pulled in the 3rd quarter, and Hoptown won 63-0. Doesn't mean Couch wasn't a great quarterback, Leslie County needed a run game to add to their attack.

I saw Hopkinsville do that to Leslie County and Tim Couch 12 years ago in a regular season matchup. Hyped game to the max, and when Hoptown figured out that Leslie wouldn't do anything but throw, they lined up 11 guys on the D line and it was like letting school out for recess. Couch was pulled in the 3rd quarter, and Hoptown won 63-0. Doesn't mean Couch wasn't a great quarterback, Leslie County needed a run game to add to their attack.

Perfect analogy PBP. I was at that game also and I don't think too many people judged Tim Couch based on that one day at the Stadium of Champions. Leslie County's schedule maybe, but not Couch.

Perfect analogy PBP. I was at that game also and I don't think too many people judged Tim Couch based on that one day at the Stadium of Champions. Leslie County's schedule maybe, but not Couch.

 

Maybe UK should be recruiting Robinson then?? And maybe we should bring back Hal Mumme and the Fat Man, too? ;)

Perfect analogy PBP. I was at that game also and I don't think too many people judged Tim Couch based on that one day at the Stadium of Champions. Leslie County's schedule maybe, but not Couch.

 

Of course, the difference was that Hopkinsville had the athletes to pull it off, whereas other Leslie opponents that year probably didn't. And I think someone above alluded to the fact the LC was likely the first team in LO's schedule this season to have athletes like this, that could pull it off. Sounds good in theory, but if the D is not fast enough, just an extra split second can make a big difference. Robinson was still a very good quarterback.

I wouldn't put the two Rockcastle teams in the same category as the 2002 Corbin team, which I felt was the weakest I had ever seen at the state finals. I think it's clear that Rockcastle wasn't the #2 team in 3A those years, but we've been down that road before.

 

Given Lone Oak's performance on Saturday, I can understand why some would think that. It was a case of a pretty good team getting steamrolled by a clearly superior opponent. It happens sometimes, even in the state finals.

 

 

I totally agree Lone Oak was outmanned and it showed...they were however a very good team. It reminds me of the way NCC put it on Mayfield a few years back. Plus, I would bet if Winston Guy was running full speed at you EVERY play and your line couldn't hit him before he was past you many score would be lopsided...

 

I still feel Lone Oak is 3A material and Lex Cath is 5A...I also think that Lone Oak would have beaten Lou. Central or Paducah Tilghman coming from the Western half of 3A. As we know Central upset Belfry!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.