Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lone Oak, what is the deal?

Featured Replies

I totally agree Lone Oak was outmanned and it showed...they were however a very good team. It reminds me of the way NCC put it on Mayfield a few years back. Plus, I would bet if Winston Guy was running full speed at you EVERY play and your line couldn't hit him before he was past you many score would be lopsided...

 

I still feel Lone Oak is 3A material and Lex Cath is 5A...I also think that Lone Oak would have beaten Lou. Central or Paducah Tilghman coming from the Western half of 3A. As we know Central upset Belfry!

 

There is no way Lone Oak would have beaten Louisville Central. No way. And probably not Belfry either. And Tilgman is questionable, too.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way Lone Oak would have beaten Louisville Central. No way. And probably not Belfry either. And Tilgman is questionable, too.

 

I'm familiar with both Lone Oak and Tilghman this year. It would be an excellent game but Lone Oak would have to be the favorite. Tilghman's offensive weapons don't match up to what LexCath demonstrated and LO's defense would match up much better with Tighman's offensive line. I respect Tilghman's program immensely, but their offensive scheme was not all that great this year. They wouldn't contain the LO pass attack any better than WE, North Bullitt or Calloway. You always hear that you shouldn't compare scores but LO was much more convincing in defeating Heath and Union Co in the regular season than was Tilghman.

There is no way Lone Oak would have beaten Louisville Central. No way. And probably not Belfry either. And Tilgman is questionable, too.
Lone Oak would have been the favorite over Tilghman. They could match up with Belfry, too. Central's speed and athleticism would have caused Lone Oak problems.

 

None of those teams have the combination of size, strength, coaching, speed and athleticism that Lexington Catholic has ... that combination of all of those factors is what swamped Lone Oak.

Lone Oak would have been the favorite over Tilghman. They could match up with Belfry, too. Central's speed and athleticism would have caused Lone Oak problems.

 

None of those teams have the combination of size, strength, coaching, speed and athleticism that Lexington Catholic has ... that combination of all of those factors is what swamped Lone Oak.

 

I believe Belfry, much like Bell County would have their way with LoneOak.

I believe Belfry, much like Bell County would have their way with LoneOak.

 

I believe you should give credit to LO for being where you wanted to be. Had you played them, we would have known but give them credit and let them enjoy their runner up status!!!

Bell was a good team, and will be next year. But they got beat, convincingly by LC and that is that. Next year may be different, but for now

LC number 1

LO runner up, number 2

great job

I think I recall this guy, is he the guy who coached that great Pburg team that beat the almost unbeatable Danville Admirals and took the Blackcats to the title game back in 93?

 

Heck, I can't even enjoy P-burg winning that game because I can't keep what happened the next week out of my head when I think about it !!

 

And I'm sure YOU know what I'm talking about...... :cry:

 

;):D

Lone Oak has absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of! I realize they were handled in the finals, but get real people, just a very few years back Lone Oak was a joke for football, now they darned near went all the way! Fantastic turnaround!! Shows you can win anywhere if you have the dedication and support!!!

Heck, I can't even enjoy P-burg winning that game because I can't keep what happened the next week out of my head when I think about it !!

 

And I'm sure YOU know what I'm talking about...... :cry:

 

;):D

This was Letton's response when a reporter from the Paducah Sun told him he covered the Mayfield-Prestonsburg game in 1993:

 

"Thanks for reminding me of that."

 

Just for you, oneijoe ...

Heck, I can't even enjoy P-burg winning that game because I can't keep what happened the next week out of my head when I think about it !!

 

And I'm sure YOU know what I'm talking about...... :cry:

 

;):D

 

A day I will recall happily for the rest of my days

Lone Oak seems to have been fairly well beaten up here. As someone who was at the game I can say that what happened was a perfect storm of the LC defensive scheme and Lone Oak being an almost exclusive pass offense. The LC defense is a 3-4 with lots of different 'packages' (blitzes and rotating coverage). Not may schools run a 3-4 and it was obvious LO had trouble from the outset with this aggressive defense. Combine that with the fact that LC knew LO would likely not run the ball much, if at all, and then you have all the linemen and blitzers focusing on the QB and not having to worry about their keys.

 

The 3-4 is the perfect defense against a pass-oriented offense. It is less effective against strong running teams (like St. X and Highlands!).

 

Congratulations to Lone Oak for a great season.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.