Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lou. St.Xavier 31 Cov. Cath. 14

Featured Replies

Random thoughts:

 

1) Thanks to Xtiger69 for the suggestion of chili and spirits at Checks before the game. Good time and the X fans hardly gave me any grief for wearing a CovCath sweatshirt.

 

2) CovCath looked good in the first half.

 

3) Going 3 and out on the first two possession of the second half hurt. If CovCath gets a couple of first downs on either drive, this one may have ended differently.

 

4) Down 17 - 14 in the 4th CovCath turns X over on downs and gains 8 on first down. The interception on the next play shifted momentum back to X.

 

5) Nice facility. Not as big a crowd as I would have thought.

 

6) Nice little road trip. I hope CovCath and X keep each other on the schedule.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St. X is ranked 7th in Max Preps. Sorry if anyone thought I meant USA Today polls. They are a great team though, but I have seen a major difference in high school football since moving to Ohio. I am not trying to offend anyone and I love watching high school sports in the commonwealth. Good luck Colonels next week!!!!

 

I don’t think it has been mentioned that St. X was without their two best players, Matt Smith and Duece Finch. Both the offense and defense are affected when those two are out of the game.

 

As for Cov Cath, very impressive. I really feel they can put a nice run together for the playoffs. As always first class fans and first class student athletes. We hope to see you back in the ‘Ville in a couple of weeks.

I don’t think it has been mentioned that St. X was without their two best players, Matt Smith and Duece Finch. Both the offense and defense are affected when those two are out of the game.

 

As for Cov Cath, very impressive. I really feel they can put a nice run together for the playoffs. As always first class fans and first class student athletes. We hope to see you back in the ‘Ville in a couple of weeks.

 

I second your opinion of the Covington Catholic team, coaches and fans. They are a 1St CLASS GROUP all the way! :thumb:

 

By the way Clubber, we were actually even worse off due to pre-game injuries than what you noted. Besides missing our super RB, Deuce Finch, and our star DT, Matt Smith (6-4, 270), who has already committed to UK, we were also without our giant DE, Trevor Foy (6-7, 240) for all but two plays. His wing span often gives opposing QB's fits trying to throw over him.

 

Besides coming out rather flat in the 1st half of our last three games (PRP, Central, and Covington Catholic), we definitely need some work on sniffing out screen passes. Despite our big victory margin Oldham County drove us nuts with this in the 2nd game of the season, and the Colonels did it to us again tonight (once getting big yardage three times in a row with the same play).

 

Defensively, LB Nick Heuser and DB DJ Hall, looked tremendous tonight and delivered some major hits.

 

On offense, QB Ben Zoeller returned from injury and really looked sharp passing, which was desparately needed against the Colonels load-the-box defense, which until late in the 4th quarter had totally throttled our running game. Kudos also go out the receivers (Brown, Brinkman, Simmons, and Sweeney), all of whom have greatly improved in their ability to catch the ball.

 

:thumb: GREAT COMEBACK TIGERS ON SENIOR NIGHT! :thumb:

Colonels thwarted in 2nd half: QB Zoeller's return to lineup rallies Tigers

 

It wasn't the start Louisville St. Xavier coach Mike Glaser wanted. Covington Catholic coach Dave Brossart was all smiles in the first half Friday.

 

The smiles didn't last all night for Brossart.

 

With St. X star running back Deuce Finch sidelined with a knee injury, the state's top-ranked team started slowly for the third consecutive week, then finished with a bang.

Will the X-men of the 'ville still be ranked #1 in the state polls?

^ I agree. No where near No. 7 in the nation. Started the game sleeping, rolled over in the second quarter to block a punt... which resulted in NO points.... Down 14 - 3 at the half. My hats off to Cov Cath, played a very nice, inspired first half. They were helped by some key play calling as well. Really could have won this game if they wanted too..... I really mean that. I think they were waiting for X to make a charge.... X scores on its first two possesions of the second half to take lead 17 - 13. X goes for it on 4th and 1 at basically mid field with 9 minutes remaining in game. Cov Cath holds... Cov Cath is intercepted at X 21 to kill the drive. X responds with a 7 minute drive to seal the W and score again with under 3 minutes remaining.... 24 - 14 Tigers... Cov Cath on its next possession, from deep in its own territory, passes the ball right to a lineman/linebacker, and he rumbles for a score from ~15 yards out. 31- 14 Tigers.... So now you see just how close this game was..... Good Luck to Cov Cath during the playoffs. Zoller looked good in his first return after injury....

 

 

I don't get it, why wouldn't Cov Cath want to win the game??

 

From the game description and the summary Riverside gave X came our insipred and took advantage of the breaks - that's what good teams do. Cov. Cath wasn't picked to win, but came to play and showed the state they can play on a level with X. A great performance from an underdog.

Really could have won this game if they wanted too..... I really mean that.

 

You do not think they wanted to win?

Didn't have internet access last night but I was getting pretty excited when ICN 6 had the 14-3 score posted. Sounds like a nice CCH effort.

For those that saw St. X tonight for the first time you have to realize that they had some major injuries and still came out the second half after being way down and won, I know that may not seem that impressive being at the game but the way it sounds to me that is scary good. St. X showed that they had the strength to come back without their star RB, that tells me that they are that good! Having seen them play at full strength and having seen some of the best teams in the state play this year in person and on TV I have to tell you anyone down playing the Tigers is crazy, that is by far the best team I have seen play this year.

 

Not to say that I don't think and hope that my Crimsons have a shot at knocking them off,:thumb: but the Tigers are clearly the number one team at this point.

So are the NKY coaches still going to play this silly game of having Dayton ranked ahead of the Colonels?

 

Does it matter?

Down 3 with 2:20 to go is a strong showing for the Colonels.

 

Pass D is a concern.

 

Has been a concern all year. To beat Dixie, they must stop the long pass. Give up some shorties, but stop the long ball. The rest of the defense is playing great.

Random thoughts:

 

1) Thanks to Xtiger69 for the suggestion of chili and spirits at Checks before the game. Good time and the X fans hardly gave me any grief for wearing a CovCath sweatshirt.

 

2) CovCath looked good in the first half.

 

3) Going 3 and out on the first two possession of the second half hurt. If CovCath gets a couple of first downs on either drive, this one may have ended differently.

 

4) Down 17 - 14 in the 4th CovCath turns X over on downs and gains 8 on first down. The interception on the next play shifted momentum back to X.

 

5) Nice facility. Not as big a crowd as I would have thought.

 

 

 

 

6) Nice little road trip. I hope CovCath and X keep each other on the schedule.

 

The interception definetly hurt. I thought the missed field goal for the tie hurt also. I did not like the play call on the int. No reason to go for it all on second and two. Should have stuck to the game plan, runs and short passes and screens. Those two plays were the beginning of the end.

Looks like Cov. Cath. is back. They're playing hard and confident; I'm sure Dixie and Highlands are taking notice. They'd better...Cov. Cath. is a team to be recogned with. Looks like the playoffs are going to be more competitive and interesting than first anticipated.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.