Legal or Illegal Block???

I saw a referee call a defensive chop block in a game. It was done in proximity of a tackle. Not to change the subject but how can a defensive player be called for a chop block?

I have seen this called as well. Don't know why, but I have seen it.

You all need to learn the difference between a block below the waist and a chop block. I think there are all sorts of threads on it.

An IBW could be called on the defense when they block an offensive player who was not on the line at the snap (sort of clogging a hole) and a chop block occurs when one player blocks another high and his teammate then blocks him delayed at the knee or below.

Some of you guys are wrong. The free blocking zone is 4 yards either side of ball and 3yard deep bothe sides of ball has nothing to do wih tackle to tackle. Tight end could cut a defensive lineman as long as it is in the zoone and the ball is still in that zone.

Some of you guys are wrong. The free blocking zone is 4 yards either side of ball and 3yard deep bothe sides of ball has nothing to do wih tackle to tackle. Tight end could cut a defensive lineman as long as it is in the zoone and the ball is still in that zone.

:thumb:

A defensive player can be called for cutting also. An OLB was coming up and cutting the legs of pulling O-lineman and the Refs flagged him 15 yards for cutting. But this is very subjective as I witnessed another team do the same tactic over and over and the Refs let it go.

As many different explanations we have ask 10 Refs and you will get more than one answer.

A defensive player can be called for cutting also. An OLB was coming up and cutting the legs of pulling O-lineman and the Refs flagged him 15 yards for cutting. But this is very subjective as I witnessed another team do the same tactic over and over and the Refs let it go.

As many different explanations we have ask 10 Refs and you will get more than one answer.

That is a foul, you are correct......... Does it get missed? Yes, why, a lot of officials continue to concentrate on the RB, not the entire picture of blockers.... and it does get missed. That has been a point of emphasis this year.

I saw a referee call a defensive chop block in a game. It was done in proximity of a tackle. Not to change the subject but how can a defensive player be called for a chop block?

As FBRULES stated above, these two fouls are often confused. It's not likely that the defense was called for chop block. Illegal block below the waist against a defender is much more common and occurs when a linebacker or DB takes out a pulling guard or fullback lead blocker.

See signals 40 and 41 on the link below:

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmanager/uploads/football_signal_chart2.pdf

In SE Ky the defenders most always cut the lead blockers against running teams, it is part of the game plan since most officials in this area will not call it. Since the rule has been instituted I only saw it called a couple of times and I have seen many, many games.