Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trinity/Cincinnati St. Xavier Predictions

Who wins? 189 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Cincinnati St. Xavier in a close one
      36%
      69
    • Cincinnati St. Xavier in a blow out
      42%
      81
    • Trinity in a close one
      18%
      35
    • Trinity in a blow out
      2%
      4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Strongopenyon is correct. I got my 138 vs. 178 cnfused.

 

They have 140 kids, not 180, on the roster and all but 2 are upperclassmen so yes, there are 69 seniors and 65 juniors on the team.

 

Their entire football program encompasses around 300 kids. :creepy:

 

This is a big part of the reason why I contend that St. Xavier will grow to be nearly unbeatable over the next 3-5 years. It is a miracle that a school Colerain's size can compete with a school like St. X.

 

-CardinalsFan

The St. Xavier Bomber's football team and operation is very impressive. But again, only 11 can be on the field at one time and that is why Trinity definitely has a shot in this one. That is why the game is played.

  • Replies 169
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The St. Xavier Bomber's football team and operation is very impressive. But again, only 11 can be on the field at one time and that is why Trinity definitely has a shot in this one. That is why the game is played.

 

Absolutely, Trinity has a shot. X beat CovCath last year at X by a score of 23 - 3. Certainly Trinity has more depth than CovCath did last year and should be able to at least hang around in this one.

Don't think Trinity will pull out the upset. Personally, I think that Trinity is the easiet team on Cincy St. X schedule (No offense). St. X not only plays the premier teams in Ohio they also played a nationally known DeMatha team that is still very talented. Seeing Trinity beat a team like St. X would be awesome but, I just don't see it happening.

 

Cincy St. X 42-7

Don't think Trinity will pull out the upset. Personally, I think that Trinity is the easiet team on Cincy St. X schedule (No offense). St. X not only plays the premier teams in Ohio they also played a nationally known DeMatha team that is still very talented. Seeing Trinity beat a team like St. X would be awesome but, I just don't see it happening.

 

Cincy St. X 42-7

Take this with a grain of salt, since you also picked Butler to beat Trinity last week: http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=2868.

 

:lol:

I am a fan of Trinity's biggest rival in Ky, Louisville St X when I am not refereeing and I've already predicted a 35-7 score in favor of the Bombers on BGP. We will have 40,000 of Louisville Catholics out at Papa John Stadium to watch Trinity get trounced by the Tigers in 2 weeks.I would love seeing "X beats Trinity" even if has Cincy in the sentence. They are the number 1 team in the country in some polls, number 4 in another. I have everything to cheer for against Trinity but..... what is really going to happen?

 

I thought about the match ups and it made me think.

 

St X offense versus Trinity's defense. I think if DA plays, what if he is rusty with a still gimpy ankle. He didn't practice all out yesterday after going on Monday and Tuesday because of soreness in the ankle. Trinity stops the run and forces X into a pass only offense. Can they win that way? I have seen everything about Hurley "keeping them honest" but how about having to take on all of the scoring? If DA doesn't play, back up running back Patrick Berning gets popped by the Linebackers of Weitlauf, Whiting and Deeds, all of which are 4.5 -4.6 forty guys to help out on the pass. They may need it as Trinity's DB's are untested. Largely a senior bunch, they have a lot of game experience. If X gets to ball control it and grind it out, then big advantage to X late. Trinity's offense can put their defense on the field quickly-either by 3 and out or going 80 yards in one play.

 

Trinity on offense- I didn't know about X's vulnerability against the deep pass until I read it earlier this week. Trinity doesn't drop passes. The junior receiver, Scott Radcliff is actually a better volleyball player( He'll play that in college) and will use his hands to corral the passes. An occasional fumble trying to get extra yards yes but seldom a dropped pass.

 

What you have is 3 receivers( Radcliff, the Dutton twins) plus Tim Phillips- RB that made up one of the fastest 4 x 100 relay teams in Kentucky last year as juniors. The knock on QB Will Stein is his size (5' 10') and short passing. Medium and long passes seem to be his strength. They are experts in getting the 3 rd receiver in motion on a linebacker on a crossing pattern with a pick on the linebacker. The word from the Trinity camp is they have seen some areas in the X defensive backfield to exploit. They make people adjust to them and usually dictate the pace of the game. I saw them take the meanest toughest LB and turn him into a floundering cover guy trying to keep up with a scatback. By the way, Cincy Saint X plays a 3-3 stack with 5 db's. 2 of the db's are tweeners between LB's and db's. Bowling Green played a 3-3. THe 3 X LB's are studs.

 

That brings me to Tim Philips, RB. He keeps getting underestimated in this neck of the woods as being too small, 5'7 and 165 pounds. He keeps producing and producing. Cincy St. X talked about how they had seen "national speed" from Dematha and Glenville. Here's the truth-Phillips ran a 11.24 100 meter in the KHSAA track meet this spring and the fastest Glenville kid ran a 11.08 but he was not the football player. The football player ran on the same relay team as the 100 meter guy so I can assume that he wasn't as fast. Even if he was, that converts to about a 0.0064 difference in the 40 times. He can't be seen behind the Trinity line and then he's gone. Louisville St X had him dropped for a 5 yard loss last year and it turned into a 70 yard run. If he has success running the ball because Trinity passes to set up the run, then their defense stays off the field. He can be the difference maker.

 

Special teams will be boring on kickoffs because both kickers will put it into the end zone. Punts- an unknown as both teams don't punt that often but the Trinity kicker (Petrovic Zlatan) is a legit d1 talent. I honestly can say that I have never seen Trinity play the field position game. It is home run or strike out. What is dangerous is if Trinity scores first, their bravado goes up,

 

One last point is kind of unknown-Trinity's starters only played into the 2nd quarter last week. I don't know how they will respond conditioning wise against X in a tight game. They pulled out the Bowling Green game late but I am not comparing BG to X as to wear and tear.

 

Once again, heart says "X beats T" but if Trinity gets ahead, you never know. I was so impressed with the turnaround against Male in the playoff game late. (I would love to type "G**d L*ck, Rocks" but my filter won't allow it!)

So how about tickets, T is sold out how likely will Cincy X be around gametime?

 

I can't leave town until around 5 on Friday. Will I be wasting a trip?

I can't leave town until around 5 on Friday. Will I be wasting a trip?

Nope. If you need a ticket. PM me.

  • Author

This morning's CJ indicated that Darius Ashley, X's star running back, who is being recruited by UL and a host if D1 schools, may still be out due to injury. Earlier this week it seemed that he was set to play. If he is still out, this could be a big break for the Rocks.

After watching St. X play Dematha and hearing about the game against Cleveland-Glenville, Darius Ashley won't effect the outcome of this game if he doesn't play. Cincy St. X played just fine w/o him on the field and if he did play, the game could be worse.

  • Author
After watching St. X play Dematha and hearing about the game against Cleveland-Glenville, Darius Ashley won't effect the outcome of this game if he doesn't play. Cincy St. X played just fine w/o him on the field and if he did play, the game could be worse.

 

Well, we just will not see eye on this one. I believe that his participation in the game would have an impact. I attended the season opener for the Bombers. I have seen them play without him. I believe that his absence, obviously, enhances Trinity's ability to beat the Bombers. Any time a Division I recruit at a skill position does not play in a high school game, there is an impact. If the gist of your post is that you feel the Rocks have no chance whether he plays or not, that is the nub of our disagreement. As I have posted above, through experience I have learned to never count the Rocks out in a football game. At any rate, we will know the answer within hours.

Good luck Rocks.

Comparing this year's X team to last year's is fools' gold; the defense returns 9 of 11 starters from last year, so they are much more experienced and battle tested.

 

The QB is as good as I have seen at X; his arm is not quite as strong as the Schoeneft kid at Ohio State, but he is much more accurate and more heady.

 

07 X is much better than the 06 X team who was handled by Colerain in the playoffs. The defense is loaded and the offense is much more potent.

Well, we just will not see eye on this one. I believe that his participation in the game would have an impact. I attended the season opener for the Bombers. I have seen them play without him. I believe that his absence, obviously, enhances Trinity's ability to beat the Bombers. Any time a Division I recruit at a skill position does not play in a high school game, there is an impact. If the gist of your post is that you feel the Rocks have no chance whether he plays or not, that is the nub of our disagreement. As I have posted above, through experience I have learned to never count the Rocks out in a football game. At any rate, we will know the answer within hours.

Good luck Rocks.

 

 

Right you are.................and we are off............I don't think it would be too far off to say (IMHO) that this will be the toughest team / highest ranked/ biggest test/ etc...which the Rocks have ever faced ...................

 

With all due respect to them......I don't think our Coaching Staff can be beat....our kids are top flight....and you know all the rest....

lets tee it up and see what happens..............go Rocks................."They" can say whatever "they" want...but they have to admit....we won't back down from any challenge.......................

Comparing this year's X team to last year's is fools' gold; the defense returns 9 of 11 starters from last year, so they are much more experienced and battle tested.

 

The QB is as good as I have seen at X; his arm is not quite as strong as the Schoeneft kid at Ohio State, but he is much more accurate and more heady.

 

07 X is much better than the 06 X team who was handled by Colerain in the playoffs. The defense is loaded and the offense is much more potent.

You sure about that big fella? How much faster did those 9 returning starters get in one off-season? Fast enough to stop Colerain this time around as opposed to last year when they were run through, around and over?? :sssh:

 

The QB is still mainly untested. To say he is as good as you've seen is very poor, unless, of course, you've only seen him and Schoenhoft. In which case, you would be correct. And I base that on how absolutely horrible Schoenhoft was at QB.

 

-CardinalsFan

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.