June 5, 200719 yr I'm w/ you on this. I keep hearing about Dunn getting ready to reach his prime, but I see no evidence to support it. They are at least two years away from competing. What kind of salary will Dunn command then? On Lance's sight a couple of weeks ago a guy from baseball america? said Jay Bruce will be a better player than Josh Hamilton. If that's the case there's 67% of your outfield in 2 years. I'm guessing it will be easier to find a third outfielder than a good closer. And you feel that Lidge will be a solid closer in 2 years? I'd say that's just as risky as Dunn's price...
June 5, 200719 yr The Reds have a couple guys IMO that are better hitters than Dunn... He can hit it to the moon, but not much else. I'd take Phillips, Hamilton, and Griffey over Dunn. Bottom line he produces runs one way or another. None of them are even close to him in run prodction overall.
June 5, 200719 yr You keep throwing that number out there but who says he can still do that. Thats the whole point. Ever since the end of last year he has been a train reck in the closing role. How many oppurtunities to close a game has he had since the end of last year? The HR happened in 2005. He had a good year last year.
June 5, 200719 yr Bottom line he produces runs one way or another. None of them are even close to him in run prodction overall. But how many runs does he leave out there, because he can't hit a groundball, or a sac fly? He's a solid player, but calling him the best hitter is a stretch IMO.
June 5, 200719 yr How many oppurtunities to close a game has he had since the end of last year? The HR happened in 2005. He had a good year last year. Lidge had a bad year last year.
June 5, 200719 yr But how many runs does he leave out there, because he can't hit a groundball, or a sac fly? He's a solid player, but calling him the best hitter is a stretch IMO. Numbers are numbers there is no way to get around it.
June 5, 200719 yr I'm w/ you on this. I keep hearing about Dunn getting ready to reach his prime, but I see no evidence to support it. They are at least two years away from competing. What kind of salary will Dunn command then? On Lance's sight a couple of weeks ago a guy from baseball america? said Jay Bruce will be a better player than Josh Hamilton. If that's the case there's 67% of your outfield in 2 years. I'm guessing it will be easier to find a third outfielder than a good closer. As I said sometime earlier in this thread (I've been a little busy refuting others to remember where), I'm a Dunn fan. Great potential if he ever figures out how to hit. He produces runs TODAY and that's a great benefit to the Reds. The downside is numbers in clutch situations. That's a killer on a team that needs EVERY win it actually has a chance to get. I used to think closers were a dime a dozen. I no longer am of that persuasion. They're hard to find and worth every penny if they are consistent.
June 5, 200719 yr And you feel Lidge will be that a solid closer in 2 years? I'd say that's just as risky as Dunn's price... But it will be at lower price. Aren't you in the Bray can be a closer in 2 years camp? I can live w/ Lidge in the 8th and Bray or someone else in the 9th if Lidge isn't a very good closer in 2 years. I feel he has a good chance to be a very good relief pitcher in 2 years. I also think your boy Krivsky can find a good outfielder by then.
June 5, 200719 yr I'm w/ you on this. I keep hearing about Dunn getting ready to reach his prime, but I see no evidence to support it. They are at least two years away from competing. What kind of salary will Dunn command then? On Lance's sight a couple of weeks ago a guy from baseball america? said Jay Bruce will be a better player than Josh Hamilton. If that's the case there's 67% of your outfield in 2 years. I'm guessing it will be easier to find a third outfielder than a good closer. I agree, with Hopper hitting for average, and Bruce and Hamilton, they will be a yound and good outfield, but will Bruce be ready in 2 years?
June 5, 200719 yr Lidge had a bad year last year. Lidge in 2006 in save opportunities: 28 appearances with ZERO earned runs. 6 appearances with 1 earned run allowed. 3 appearances with 2 earned runs allowed. 1 with 4 This is bad?
June 5, 200719 yr Ratio is 5.5 for Weather and 6.3 for Lidge. Strong argument to trade our best hitter for slighty better than David Weathers. I apologize but I don't have a clue as what you're saying when you speak of ratios.
June 5, 200719 yr Bottom line he produces runs one way or another. None of them are even close to him in run prodction overall. I agree - awesome run producer when you factor in the number he scores. The downside is hit ability to hit in the clutch. For $10M(and going up quickly), I think we can all agree that clutch hitting has a lot of value when it comes to winning games, right?
June 5, 200719 yr I apologize but I don't have a clue as what you're saying when you speak of ratios. 2-11= 5.5 6-38= 6.3333 Blown saves to saves. However I am only using his numbers as of this year and Lidge's from last year.
June 5, 200719 yr I agree - awesome run producer when you factor in the number he scores. The downside is hit ability to hit in the clutch. For $10M(and going up quickly), I think we can all agree that clutch hitting has a lot of value when it comes to winning games, right? Ok but how many guys in this league Drive in 100, Score 100 and walk 100 times and hit 40 HRs? Not many. Is Lidge really worth that in your eyes? If he some more portection we wouldn't be talking about how much he strikes out.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.