June 5, 200719 yr I don't think a "middle reliever" will be making $12M a year. He comes here for one half season as a rental and then his price skyrockets when he hits the market. Were you not around this off season...
June 5, 200719 yr Just looked at some numbers, Dunn was 50th in the league last year in RBI....He had 92, with 99 runs scored for a total combined amount of 191. Out of the 49 guys ranked ahead of him, 33 finished with as many if not more than 191. All 49 had better averages than Dunn's .234. 32 had a higher OBP than Dunn's .365.
June 5, 200719 yr If Lidge pans out as the closer he is making more than 7M. It doesn't matter that it's not my original question I'm supporting my argument. And if he's getting the job done, I'm fine with him making top-shelf money. We've already established that Dunn is not a clutch performer. Closers by their very definition HAVE to be clutch.
June 5, 200719 yr He comes here for one half season as a rental and then his price skyrockets when he hits the market. Were you not around this off season... So that fact is buttressed by the fact that you will be saving salary by the departure of Dunn, and likely The Kid.
June 5, 200719 yr And if he's getting the job done, I'm fine with him making top-shelf money. We've already established that Dunn is not a clutch performer. Closers by their very definition HAVE to be clutch. I don't think this small market Reds team can survive with a closer making 7 Mil +.
June 5, 200719 yr I don't think this small market Reds team can survive with a close make 7 Mil +. Then they aren't going to ever have a good one....
June 5, 200719 yr So that fact is buttressed by the fact that you will be saving salary by the departure of Dunn, and likely The Kid. Then after that year what do you have to show for it. Nothing??? If you are going that route trade him for prospects.
June 5, 200719 yr I don't think this small market Reds team can survive with a close make 7 Mil +. Then they aren't going to contend. Ever.
June 5, 200719 yr Then they aren't going to ever have a good one.... Eacty when was the last time they had a good one besides Danny Graves on steroids? Jeff Shaw?
June 5, 200719 yr So that fact is buttressed by the fact that you will be saving salary by the departure of Dunn, and likely The Kid. You will have to give him all of the Dunn money and then some IMO. I guess the bad news is as I have looked in to it Houston is not letting him go...
June 5, 200719 yr Eacty when was the last time they had a good one besides Danny Graves on steroids? Jeff Shaw? Shaw was the last....You're proving my point. They won't have a solid closer if they aren't willing to pay top closer money.
June 5, 200719 yr I guess the bad news is as I have looked in to it Houston is not letting him go... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: At least it made for some good debate.
June 5, 200719 yr Then after that year what do you have to show for it. Nothing??? If you are going that route trade him for prospects. Pay the money, and you have a reliable closer anchoring what was once a very suspect bullpen. Again, hitting is way ahead of pitching in the current MLB. Pay for the pitching, and you bring up boppers from the minors to fill in for the plethora of solo HRs that will be absent from the lineup. The guys are already there in the minors that can do what Dunn does.
June 5, 200719 yr Shaw was the last....You're proving my point. They won't have a solid closer if they aren't willing to pay top closer money. That was never argued against. Is Lidge worthy of top closer money? No.
June 5, 200719 yr You will have to give him all of the Dunn money and then some IMO. I guess the bad news is as I have looked in to it Houston is not letting him go... Once again, you can get by on the cheap on position players. Doesn't work with pitchers, especially in the bullpen.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.