April 5, 200719 yr What does Phelprey's coaching resume look like? 1993-94 Assistant Coach Oklahoma State 1994-96 Assistant Coach Marshall 1996-2002 Assistant Coach Florida 2002-Present Head Coach South Alabama 2002-03 14-14 2003-04 12-16 2004-05 10-18 2005-06 24-7 Sun Belt Western Division Champs, Sun Belt Tourney Champ, NCAA Appearance--Lost to Florida 76-50 First Round 2006-07 20-11 Sun Belt Western Division Champs, NIT Appearance--Lost to Syracuse First Round Total 80-66 5 Years 1 NCAA 1 NIT
April 5, 200719 yr If Pelphrey hadn't played at UK, anyone would be laughed off the board for suggesting he be hired. His resume is that of a young coach that could be successful as he moves up the ladder, but UK would take an incredible gamble and leap of faith by hiring him.
April 5, 200719 yr If Pelphrey hadn't played at UK, anyone would be laughed off the board for suggesting he be hired. :thumb:
April 5, 200719 yr If Pelphrey hadn't played at UK, anyone would be laughed off the board for suggesting he be hired. As I've posted before, people were saying the same thing about Donovan(except it was he was an assistant at UK) 10 years ago. I believe Pelphrey could bring back the excitement to UK basketball.
April 5, 200719 yr As I've posted before, people were saying the same thing about Donovan(except it was he was an assistant at UK) 10 years ago. I believe Pelphrey could bring back the excitement to UK basketball. The excitement would only extend to a small minority of UK fans. NO EXCITEMENT would be generated with the important folks: recruits. No offense to John as I'm sure he's nothing but a gentleman but what in the world would a recruit have to get excited about when John Pelphrey calls? Unless EKY is suddenly going to produce top-notch D1 talent, his hiring would do nothing positive and would actually be a negative for at least a few years.
April 5, 200719 yr The excitement would only extend to a small minority of UK fans. NO EXCITEMENT would be generated with the important folks: recruits. No offense to John as I'm sure he's nothing but a gentleman but what in the world would a recruit have to get excited about when John Pelphrey calls? Unless EKY is suddenly going to produce top-notch D1 talent, his hiring would do nothing positive and would actually be a negative for at least a few years. What did recruits have to be excited about when Donovan came calling when he got his start at Florida?
April 5, 200719 yr As I've posted before, people were saying the same thing about Donovan(except it was he was an assistant at UK) 10 years ago. I believe Pelphrey could bring back the excitement to UK basketball.At this point, only winning brings back the excitement ... nothing more, nothing less. Pelphrey could do it at UK, but there seems to be a great number of coaches that are more qualified ...
April 5, 200719 yr What did recruits have to be excited about when Donovan came calling when he got his start at Florida? Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan. John Pelphrey does not have that profile now that Billy D. had then. Billy D won 65% of his games at Marshall which added to his perception. Pelphrey is relatively unknown today outside of KY and has no credibility with top recruits.
April 5, 200719 yr Rick Pitino and Billy Donovan. John Pelphrey does not have that profile now that Billy D. had then. Billy D won 65% of his games at Marshall which added to his perception. Pelphrey is relatively unknown today outside of KY and has no credibility with top recruits. Pelphrey was Donovan's top assistant and recruiter while at Florida. I'm sure his name is quite credible with the recruits.
April 5, 200719 yr Pelphrey was Donovan's top assistant and recruiter while at Florida. I'm sure his name is quite credible with the recruits. Recruits from this year? Next year? All they know him as is the coach of some school most of them didn't know even existed. I guess this one of those "we'll just have to disagree" points.
April 5, 200719 yr Phelphry is unproven as a coach and doesn't even deserve to be on the list as an option. Just because he is a former player doesn't give him the right to have a shot. I wouldn't want Timberlake, which according to some post on here if your a former player that automatically gives you a chance.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.