Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Curve ball concerns?

Featured Replies

Honestly now parents, coaches, and big brothers, what do you think about teaching a kid (12-14 yrs old) about how to throw a curve ball, and promote throwing it? Do you think it is true that throwing a curve ball is like the number of beats in a heart... you only have so many?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly now parents, coaches, and big brothers, what do you think about teaching a kid (12-14 yrs old) about how to throw a curve ball, and promote throwing it? Do you think it is true that throwing a curve ball is like the number of beats in a heart... you only have so many?

 

I think it's OK to teach them how to throw one, but the promotion of it sometimes gets out of hand. Kids that age need to learn how to hit their targets before they start getting "fancy" with their stuff.

I don't think they should use a CB at that age, the arm is still way to young. Learn the basics, then once you have matured a bit then let it loose.

I think they should work on a their fastball and a change-up along with location. These two pitches, with good location, will go along way in the 12-14 year old age group.

This is a subject that I have been asked for years.

Many coaches tell parents that if you teach an 11-14yr old to throw the curve correctly it will not injure the player’s arm. WRONG!

I have seen coaches use a multi colored ball to make sure that the pitcher is releasing the ball in a so called natural snap at the release. I have been told if the ball is released in a downward snap that it will not cause injury. At the 15 and above coaching level I see a lot of young players with injuries from being taught these methods. Believe me if you have a young player, you should not teach a curve or breaking pitch until about 14 years old and only use very limited amount of these pitches.

Teach good control making the fastball move with different pressure of the fingers and a change-up. Watch the amount of pitches that the player throws

Especially on cold days.

A post on this site has an excellent max pitch count for players.

The 12-14 age group is too broad to answer this question in my opinion. I personally think that 14 is fine to start throwing a curve, 12 however is much too young. I started learning how to throw a cb when I was 13, I would only throw it every now and then with my dad in the back yard, by the time I was 14, I had learned to use it pretty well and began throwing it in games. A good curve ball can be deadly against another 14 year old batter.

 

A lot of this has to do with parents pushing their kids too hard. There is no reason to teach an average 12 or 13 (or any age for that matter) pitcher to throw junk pitches when he cant control his fastball yet. If I were a coach of that age group I would limit the teaching of a curve to a couple of my elite pitchers.

 

At that age a good fastball is good enough to win games. Throw in a cut fastball and a changeup and you've got an allstar on the mound. I'd take a young kid with great control over a kid who can throw a bunch of junk pitches everyday of the week.

I believe in a compromise for a 12 yr. old wanting to throw a breaking ball.

 

Grab a seam just as you were going to throw a curve ball, but instead of snapping it off....simply have your thumb and middle finger at 9 o clock and 3 o clock respectively at the point of release. It's more of a football release. If thrown properly.....it breaks just enough to qualify as a decent curve ball (It's really more of a slider..) and saves the elbow of youngsters.

 

My 2 cents...

I think if a kid has their location down and throws a decent fastball, its OK to teach them the curve ball. It really depends on the maturity of the kid IMO. But if a kid is say 13 or 14 and already throwing mid 50's maybe low 60's, there is no point in teaching them the CB because they will already be dominant with their fastball.

 

I've umpired games and saw 7 and 8 year olds throwing curveballs and one kid even throwing a knuckleball. Now thats too young.

I don't think they should use a CB at that age, the arm is still way to young. Learn the basics, then once you have matured a bit then let it loose.

 

I agree, it's applying to much pressure to the elbow. I'd teach it to them around 14-15,16 when they are maturing.

I think if a kid has their location down and throws a decent fastball, its OK to teach them the curve ball. It really depends on the maturity of the kid IMO. But if a kid is say 13 or 14 and already throwing mid 50's maybe low 60's, there is no point in teaching them the CB because they will already be dominant with their fastball.

 

I've umpired games and saw 7 and 8 year olds throwing curveballs and one kid even throwing a knuckleball. Now thats too young.

Why on the knuckleball? I thought it put no pressure on the arm.

It depends on how the knuckle ball is thrown. If you're behind the ball and flick it like a fastball, it's ok. Most people throw it from the side which isn't as bad as a curveball but still not ideal. As for the question, 14 is by far the youngest that a kid should be throwing breaking pitches. If we had more kids that would locate a fastball and simply throw a change-up we'd have a lot mroe pitchers than throwers.

 

ASMI says this and I agree:

 

Survey - Age Recommendation for Learning Various Pitches

Pitch Age

Fastball 8 - 10

Change-Up 10 - 13

Curve ball 14 - 16

Knuckle ball 15 - 18

Slider 16 - 18

Fork ball 16 - 18

Screw ball 17 - 19

I was at the NK Little League meeting and they were passing out booklets on how to protect your pitcher's arm.

 

They made an interesting point. Could the next sports lawsuit be.....

 

My son had a Roger Clemens arm and the LL manager had him throwing curveballs and overpitching him which has ruined his arm. Now that he is in HS, he can't pitch and has lost the chance at a college scholarship. Better protect yourself.

I think they should work on a their fastball and a change-up along with location. These two pitches, with good location, will go along way in the 12-14 year old age group.

Great advice. Teaching a kid how to pitch is most important. Also teaching proper warm up and takng care of the arm after throwing goes a long way in preventing arm problems.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.