Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach of the Year

Featured Replies

Enough of the season has been played while plenty more is left between the rest of the regular season, conference tournaments, and the NCAA tournament. Who do you think is Coach of the Year to this point? My selections to this point are:

1) Rick Pitino-The man can flat out coach and get it done regardless of age or where he’s at. What he has done with St. John’s has been very impressive with his short time there. Even the thought that Pitino could potentially take a fourth team to the Final Four is something that no one else won’t likely come remotely close to. Pitino is my front runner right now.

2) Pat Kelsey-In Kelsey’s first season that’s not completed yet, has by far overachieved what many considered possible, Louisville fans included. I know that the ACC isn’t as strong as other conferences, but for Kelsey to do what he has considering Louisville’s past two seasons and how far they had fallen is highly impressive.

3) Bruce Pearl-After exiting last year’s tournament in the first round, Pearl may have his best team he’s coached and put together at Auburn that could go on this year to win a national championship. I know Auburn has been better than many teams overall over the past few seasons, but his team is playing very good basketball. 
 

I also believe that Todd Golden and Mark Pope are good candidates too. What are other thoughts on this?

 

Dennis Gates of Missouri went 0-18 in conference last year, currently has team ranked in the top 25. He has them in position to possibly get a top 4 seed in SEC Tournament.

Do we know when this is voted on? 

Right now it would be Bruce Pearl I think. 

Right now my vote would be Rick Pitino.

Ricky Pitino by a landslide!!

  • Author
2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Do we know when this is voted on? 

Right now it would be Bruce Pearl I think. 

It is on 3/14. 

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Do we know when this is voted on? 

Right now it would be Bruce Pearl I think. 

I think you're right that Pearl wins it.  He's certainly deserving.

I personally would go with Rick Pitino or Todd Golden.

3 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Dennis Gates of Missouri went 0-18 in conference last year, currently has team ranked in the top 25. He has them in position to possibly get a top 4 seed in SEC Tournament.

And there's another good suggestion. 

4 hours ago, hrcarrier said:

Enough of the season has been played while plenty more is left between the rest of the regular season, conference tournaments, and the NCAA tournament. Who do you think is Coach of the Year to this point? My selections to this point are:

1) Rick Pitino-The man can flat out coach and get it done regardless of age or where he’s at. What he has done with St. John’s has been very impressive with his short time there. Even the thought that Pitino could potentially take a fourth team to the Final Four is something that no one else won’t likely come remotely close to. Pitino is my front runner right now.

2) Pat Kelsey-In Kelsey’s first season that’s not completed yet, has by far overachieved what many considered possible, Louisville fans included. I know that the ACC isn’t as strong as other conferences, but for Kelsey to do what he has considering Louisville’s past two seasons and how far they had fallen is highly impressive.

3) Bruce Pearl-After exiting last year’s tournament in the first round, Pearl may have his best team he’s coached and put together at Auburn that could go on this year to win a national championship. I know Auburn has been better than many teams overall over the past few seasons, but his team is playing very good basketball. 
 

I also believe that Todd Golden and Mark Pope are good candidates too. What are other thoughts on this?

 

You’re top 3 is how I would rank them too. I would then have Missouri’s coach as a close 4th. 
 

Also correct on Pitino possibly leading a 4th team to the final four. The only other coach that could even possibly have a chance is Calipari. Considering Cal and Pitino are the only coaches ever to lead 3 different coaches to a final four. Pitino definitely has a chance to add a 4th to his resume, while currently not looking great in regards to Cal eventually adding a 4th. 

I could see Pearl winning National COY, but not conference COY.

1 hour ago, okie1 said:

I could see Pearl winning National COY, but not conference COY.

Definitely could happen, as I could see either Florida or Missouri's coach winning conference coach of the year. 

On 2/12/2025 at 10:13 AM, Jumper_Dad said:

Dennis Gates of Missouri went 0-18 in conference last year, currently has team ranked in the top 25. He has them in position to possibly get a top 4 seed in SEC Tournament.

Saw his Cleveland State teams in the HL. The guy is a good coach and is getting Missouri back on the map.

2 hours ago, okie1 said:

I could see Pearl winning National COY, but not conference COY.

Definitely possible. 

From Jeff Borzello this is an amazing stat. Some in New York as the Godfather of College Basketball.

IMG_7304.thumb.jpeg.046d7fcd99a53e8f7da3a5d63a126039.jpeg

  • Author
1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

From Jeff Borzello this is an amazing stat. Some in New York as the Godfather of College Basketball.

IMG_7304.thumb.jpeg.046d7fcd99a53e8f7da3a5d63a126039.jpeg

Pitino was the man and still is in my opinion. I personally think he’s of the select very few who’s truly greatest coach of all time for college basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.