Lyon County vs. Harlan County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)

Lyon County vs. Harlan County   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16®) Championship

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/23/2024 at 11:36 PM

image.png.6fabe260b504140408834085e6b58f2a.pngvs. image.png.466cd14171a10fa6e207dedcdcfbe53d.png

Lyon County (35-3) lead by Mr. Basketball and University of Kentucky signee Travis Perry will be playing in their first ever Sweet 16 Championship game against the Black Bears of Harlan County (34-4) lead by South Carolina signee Trent Noah.

Lyon County made it to the finals with wins over Ashland, Adair Co., and Great Crossing. Harlan County defeated last season's champs Warren Central, Campbell Co. and Evangel Christian.

These two have a several very good quality opponents in Frederick Douglass, Ashland and Bowling Green. Lyon Co. defeated all 3 of these teams by scores of 86-66, 45-43, and 90-89. Harlan Co. were 1-2 vs. these 3 programs losing 70-60 to Douglass and 73-62 to Bowling Green and the Black Bears defeated Ashland 80-70.

Just now, mcpapa said:

This is the matchup a whole bunch of us were hoping for when the bracket was released. 

Almost makes me feel young.  Next thing you know I will have mashed taters running down my face. 

• Haha 1

Both schools playing for their first state championship. Lyon County had not advanced past the second round before this season while Harlan County had only played one state tournament game in history, a first round loss in 2017. For the Lyons, they'll try to be the first Region 2 team to win it all since Christian County in 2011; Harlan County is looking to be the first Region 13 team to cut the nets since Clay County in 1987 (current 13th Region member South Laurel was still in the Region 12 when they won it in 2005).

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to Lyon County vs. Harlan County Predictions/Updates (KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16® Championship)

Harlan County is the first team from the 13th Region to compete for the state championship since 1988, when Richie Farmer hung 51 on Allan Houston and Ballard in defeat. 

Will we see another prolific scorer from the mountains put on a similar show tonight?

Of the 15 schools that over time have combined and consolidated to get to Harlan County High School, only three teams ever played in the state tournament: Benham, first round losers in 1931 and 1935, and Cumberland, first round victims in 2003.

I suspect there will be a good deal of cheering tonight from some old Evarts Bulldogs and Highsplint Ramblers; probably a lot of rooting from former Cumberland Redskins, Benham Tigers, East Benham Rams, Lynch Bulldogs, and Lynch West Main Pirates; some hooting and hollering from some past Cawood Trojans, Loyall Indians, Black Star Eagles, Hall Gamecocks, Cawood City Wildcats, Grays Knob Yellow Jackets, and Yancey Bulldogs; and a little familial excitement from myself, whose family left Wallins (home of the Purple Devils), almost a century ago exactly.

Good luck to the Black Bears!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If Lyon County wins, they would be the first non-football playing school to win the title since University Heights in 1992. They would be the first public non-football school since Earlington in 1967. I don’t think Earlington had football but I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FSfan said:

If Lyon County wins, they would be the first non-football playing school to win the title since University Heights in 1992. They would be the first public non-football school since Earlington in 1967. I don’t think Earlington had football but I may be wrong. 

Earlington had football prior to World War II but by the time they won the basketball title in 1967 the pigskins were long gone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Earlington had football prior to World War II but by the time they won the basketball title in 1967 the pigskins were long gone.

For some of us, that championship loss ached like a phantom limb for over 40 years. Winning cures many things.

• Like 1

How much is the tv broadcast? I can’t get the site to load currently? I’m old school and love listening on the radio but I’d like to actually see this one. Good luck to both teams. 

The stats about the history of the schools is awesome but insane as well. I was there when South Laurel won it all. The pre-game hype and intro for the title game is better than a UK game. Good luck to both teams.

4 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

The stats about the history of the schools is awesome but insane as well. I was there when South Laurel won it all. The pre-game hype and intro for the title game is better than a UK game. Good luck to both teams.

I have always thought it was too much.

• Haha 1