Most Suitable High School Gyms that are NOT Regional Host Sites

What high school gyms across the state are the most suitable for hosting a regional tournament in terms of size, parking, facilities etc... but do not ever get a chance to do so? 

Adair County has a nice place for a regional but they fall a few hundred seats short of being able to host one as their capacity is 2000. Green Co. for example nearby gets to host the 5th region and they only hold 2300-2400.

24 minutes ago, se7ens said:

What high school gyms across the state are the most suitable for hosting a regional tournament in terms of size, parking, facilities etc... but do not ever get a chance to do so? 

The 12th Region has rotated boys and girls between Lincoln County and Pulaski County for over a decade. Prior to that, there was a rotation of about a dozen schools that hosted. There are several in the region large enough to host, and occasionally Mercer County and McCreary Central make a little noise about wanting to bring back a rotation, but it seems like most of the schools are pretty content to keep it where it is, which is centrally located in the region.

I'll add, there are three college gymnasiums in the region (Centre, Asbury, CU-Harrodsburg) but none have anything close to enough seats to host a region tournament.

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

The 12th Region has rotated boys and girls between Lincoln County and Pulaski County for over a decade. Prior to that, there was a rotation of about a dozen schools that hosted. There are several in the region large enough to host, and occasionally Mercer County and McCreary Central make a little noise about wanting to bring back a rotation, but it seems like most of the schools are pretty content to keep it where it is, which is centrally located in the region.

I'll add, there are three college gymnasiums in the region (Centre, Asbury, CU-Harrodsburg) but none have anything close to enough seats to host a region tournament.

I'll be honest - Mercer County is what made me ask this question. I just think their facilities would be absolutely perfect to host the regional.

9 minutes ago, se7ens said:

I'll be honest - Mercer County is what made me ask this question. I just think their facilities would be absolutely perfect to host the regional.

They’ve got good parking for sure.  How many do they seat?

I could see Wayne and McCreary having an issue with the distance.

52 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

They’ve got good parking for sure.  How many do they seat?

I could see Wayne and McCreary having an issue with the distance.

They are listed at 2500. 

About a half hour farther than Lincoln County for both Wayne and McCreary. And honestly, I think maybe you rotate it between Pulaski, Mercer, Lincoln, McCreary, Wayne, and Casey County and you could keep most everyone happy. At least those would be the six gyms in the 12th I would choose. Rockcastle is a tad smaller than all of those but it would be my next suggestion, then probably Boyle which is at 3000 capacity.

3 minutes ago, se7ens said:

They are listed at 2500. 

About a half hour farther than Lincoln County for both Wayne and McCreary. And honestly, I think maybe you rotate it between Pulaski, Mercer, Lincoln, McCreary, Wayne, and Casey County and you could keep most everyone happy. At least those would be the six gyms in the 12th I would choose. Rockcastle is a tad smaller than all of those but it would be my next suggestion, then probably Boyle which is at 3000 capacity.

No way the AD’s are going to agree for Casey County to be in on the regional rotation. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, se7ens said:

They are listed at 2500. 

Are you sure those numbers are right?  I don’t think there is anyway Boyle holds 500 more than Mercer. 

3 hours ago, se7ens said:

I know you're talking about the regular regional tournament but I'd like to see Burgin excluded from the 12th Region Class A tournament.  Danville, Somerset, or Somerset Christian would all be better alternatives.  

As far as Pulaski goes I think they could improve things if they'd open a second concession area in the flat space at the end of the gym or in the hall where you come in from the lower parking lot.  I think they'd actually sell more concessions if people didn't have to wait in line.  

I might also help if they had a couple of golf carts to shuttle older folks up from the lower parking lot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24Rocks said:

As far as Pulaski goes I think they could improve things if they'd open a second concession area in the flat space at the end of the gym or in the hall where you come in from the lower parking lot.  I think they'd actually sell more concessions if people didn't have to wait in line.  

I might also help if they had a couple of golf carts to shuttle older folks up from the lower parking lot.  

They used to have concession stands on both ends of the lobby.  I'm not sure when they stopped.  

2 hours ago, BasketballFan24 said:

Are you sure those numbers are right?  I don’t think there is anyway Boyle holds 500 more than Mercer. 

That surprised me too. Pulled them right off the KHSAA site.

In the 4th, I used to love seeing the regional at Barren County. Enough seating, parking, etc. It’s just an 84ft floor. When it’s the BG/WC Invitational, Diddle just makes more sense.