Most Suitable High School Gyms that are NOT Regional Host Sites

Tilghman might could host too but not sure if their bathroom situation is good enough. I really wish they’d use some of the high schools in the 1st region.  Would be a much better atmosphere!!!

On 3/12/2024 at 2:43 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

The 12th Region has rotated boys and girls between Lincoln County and Pulaski County for over a decade. Prior to that, there was a rotation of about a dozen schools that hosted. There are several in the region large enough to host, and occasionally Mercer County and McCreary Central make a little noise about wanting to bring back a rotation, but it seems like most of the schools are pretty content to keep it where it is, which is centrally located in the region.

I'll add, there are three college gymnasiums in the region (Centre, Asbury, CU-Harrodsburg) but none have anything close to enough seats to host a region tournament.

I will say after this year 12th region needs to take a look at how they are doing it. Lincoln's gym is past its prime to host region.  During player intros players couldn't hear their names for starting lineups for the girls.  Lighting is bad there and not enough room for a big game.  I would play both the boys and girls every year at Pulaski or look at adding Mercer.  Mercer has the newest gym in the region and holds more than Lincoln.  I'm not here really to make a push for Mercer. Pulaski has the best place to host in the region and its not even close.  

On 3/12/2024 at 7:23 PM, se7ens said:

That surprised me too. Pulled them right off the KHSAA site.

If you go in both gyms it is obvious Mercer holds more than Boyle.  I would say they hold more than Lincoln also.  Mercer's bottom and top level both look larger than Lincoln's.  

18 minutes ago, titan101 said:

I will say after this year 12th region needs to take a look at how they are doing it. Lincoln's gym is past its prime to host region.  During player intros players couldn't hear their names for starting lineups for the girls.  Lighting is bad there and not enough room for a big game.  I would play both the boys and girls every year at Pulaski or look at adding Mercer.  Mercer has the newest gym in the region and holds more than Lincoln.  I'm not here really to make a push for Mercer. Pulaski has the best place to host in the region and its not even close.  

I think, size wise, Pulaski County is the best spot for the boys and Lincoln County is the best spot for the girls (just because the girls tournament typically doesn't draw quite as big of crowd).

7 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

The rumor at the boys tournament in the 12th this week was that Pulaski was looking to expand their floor to the same length as college. If that’s the case, I would think they may get to host every year. 

I also think this may play out if the region loses some of the northernmost schools in realignment.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 5:57 AM, TheBarber said:

In the 4th, I used to love seeing the regional at Barren County. Enough seating, parking, etc. It’s just an 84ft floor. When it’s the BG/WC Invitational, Diddle just makes more sense. 

I think in all likelihood, there are three venues in the 4th that could host it.  In addition to Barren County, I believe Allen County-Scottsville and Bowling Green both have the capacity to host.  Bowling Green has never hosted in their current arena (and I'm confident will never get to), and AC/S last hosted the boys in 2000.  But as you noted, it doesn't make sense not to use Diddle given the recent history of teams that make it, and the fact it is a neutral court.  Little is even gained by travel holding it at either of the venues outside of Warren County.

27 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Bowling Green has never hosted in their current arena (and I'm confident will never get to)...

Hasn't Bowling Green hosted the NAIA Mid-South Conference tournament a few times in recent years? I'm assuming they have a 94-foot floor, shot clocks, etc. Obviously it will stay at Diddle Arena but Bowling Green seems more than capable as you said.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

The rumor at the boys tournament in the 12th this week was that Pulaski was looking to expand their floor to the same length as college. If that’s the case, I would think they may get to host every year. 

Interesting. I would assume they would cut into the concession stand end where all the open space is?

44 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

I would be ok with both boys and girls being at Pulaski every year.  They have the nicest gym in the region. 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Hasn't Bowling Green hosted the NAIA Mid-South Conference tournament a few times in recent years? I'm assuming they have a 94-foot floor, shot clocks, etc. Obviously it will stay at Diddle Arena but Bowling Green seems more than capable as you said.

Exactly correct. The capacity isn’t as large as Barren County but the arena itself is top notch. If Bowling Green weren’t as good as they are, I could see them hosting it if Diddle were unavailable. But no way any team in this region agrees to it being hosted there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 12th Region Fan said:

What would they gain from that?  

On 3/13/2024 at 8:30 AM, Joe Tracy said:

Marshall, Graves, and McCracken County.

I agree on Graves and Marshall. They have actually been used before. McCracken is not big enough or have the proper seating. Their end zones for the students are great but their upstairs seating is not good. You can't even sit in the 1st few rows because you can't see the floor. 

• Like 1