BluegrassPreps.com Class 5A Football Rankings 10/16

TheDeuce

Before we ever get to comparing quality wins, BG has two losses, Highlands only has one. That one loss is to the undefeated #1 team in 4A. 

THEN you factor in VoR's analysis, the "debate" gets even more clear, IMO. 

I'm surprised so many are adamant about Highlands not being #1. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brown said:

BG 2 wins better than Highlands.  They are 9 points away from being undefeated.  Polls are just that but BG should be #1.

They are also 6 seconds and one hook and lateral away from having 3 losses. So just depends on how you look at things.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Astro Domino said:

They are also 6 seconds and one hook and lateral away from having 3 losses. So just depends on how you look at things.

Honestly, this is the one that sticks out to me.  If Bowling Green deserves to be #1 despite having to have that to win, then it implies that South should've been #1 if they had held on.  I don't know that I agree that the winner of that game was guaranteed to ascend to the top spot but that feels like what is being said here. 

Now, if the argument is that Bowling Green should have already been #1 previously - and maybe that's where this is coming from - that might be a different matter.

• Like 1

I will add this to the discussion. My opinion is it is very rare that a team should drop in the rankings after a win. In other words, for someone to jump ahead of Highlands, Highlands will need to lose. Regardless of what teams behind them do and who they beat, they should not move ahead of Highlands if Highlands keeps winning. That's not a Highlands thing, that is a ranking philosophy.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I will add this to the discussion. My opinion is it is very rare that a team should drop in the rankings after a win. In other words, for someone to jump ahead of Highlands, Highlands will need to lose. Regardless of what teams behind them do and who they beat, they should not move ahead of Highlands if Highlands keeps winning. That's not a Highlands thing, that is a ranking philosophy.

Bowling Green had won a few weeks in a row and ultimately got taken down. Even with their losses, they remained #1 for weeks.  

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Before we ever get to comparing quality wins, BG has two losses, Highlands only has one. That one loss is to the undefeated #1 team in 4A. 

THEN you factor in VoR's analysis, the "debate" gets even more clear, IMO. 

I'm surprised so many are adamant about Highlands not being #1. 

There is no debate.  It’s obvious.

26 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This is incorrect.

4 hours ago, Purple88 said:

First and foremost, anyone creating a ranking list is set up to take criticism and I have a lot of respect for the BGP lists each week.

As you know I'm biased for BG.  With that said, BGs top 2 wins are better than the top 2 wins for Highlands and Scott County by quite a bit:

BG best wins:  South Warren (6-2) #3 in the BGP 5A Poll/RPI #2 in 5A and Owensboro (5-3) #5 in the BGP 5A Poll/#9 in 5A RPI

Highlands best wins:  LexCath (4-4) #2 in BGP 3A poll/#11 in 3A RPI and maybe Cooper (7-2) #7 in BGP 5A Poll/#14 in 5A RPI

Scott County best wins:  Woodford County (5-2) #6 in BGP 5A Poll/#7 in 5A RPI and maybe South Oldham (6-3) probably 10-15 in the BGP 5A Poll/#10 5A RPI.

My perspective is this is a poll for right now and this past week's outcome weighing the most and why BG should likely be #1.  Are they the #1 team in 5A?  Not 100% sure without bias.  But after last week's win, IMO they should be ranked there.  I'm cool with where they are though; always differing opinions, which is why this site is so good.  I'm sure Highlands guys say Highlands are #1 and Scott County fans have them at #1.

This is correct.