Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

September 11th

Featured Replies

Where were you? I was in a dorm room at Lincoln Christian College in Illinois. Such a scary day. I've not heard much about it today, I hope we as a country never forget what, may have been, the last time we were united. 

Got a page to get up and get into work...

On my way to work, heard on the radio about the first plane.  After I settled in at work, heard about the 2nd plane.  Pretty much just had the TV on the rest of the day in shock as it all unfolded.

Sophomore year, geometry class. The school receptionist came in and said we need turn on the TV. We didn't change classes that morning, and reported to our home room for the rest of the day after lunch. 

I remember walking VERY fast to my car in downtown Cincinnati later that morning when we told to go home.  A few of us were looking back at the Carew Tower (the biggest building in Cincinnati at that time) to see if it was going to get hit by a plane too.

It was my second day on my current job. I was at the city building in Covington signing papers.

Was getting dressed to go to my morning classes at NKU watching Sportscenter. They broke in to say a commercial plane had hit the first tower. I was like “Holy Moly”, but kept getting ready. For the first time in my life of 19 years I turned on 700 WLW to hear the news. Turning to get onto 471-S from 10th street in Newport they had a lady on the phone from an apartment building in NYC. She just screams “oh my gosh an explosion a bomb just went off!!!”. The guy talking to her said “that wasn’t a bomb another plane hit the other tower!”. I felt sick. Still went to class. Our Literature teacher had no idea what was going on so she held class. By the time I got to my theology class both towers had collapsed and I just left and went home. Went to work at UPS that night and everyone just worked in almost silence. Supervisors did the best they could to make sure big brown was still doing its job but it was a tough few days for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

Was getting dressed to go to my morning classes at NKU watching Sportscenter. They broke in to say a commercial plane had hit the first tower. I was like “Holy Moly”, but kept getting ready. For the first time in my life of 19 years I turned on 700 WLW to hear the news. Turning to get onto 471-S from 10th street in Newport they had a lady on the phone from an apartment building in NYC. She just screams “oh my gosh an explosion a bomb just went off!!!”. The guy talking to her said “that wasn’t a bomb another plane hit the other tower!”. I felt sick. Still went to class. Our Literature teacher had no idea what was going on so she held class. By the time I got to my theology class both towers had collapsed and I just left and went home. Went to work at UPS that night and everyone just worked in almost silence. Supervisors did the best they could to make sure big brown was still doing its job but it was a tough few days for sure. 

I have shared this before but 9/11 was the only time in my life I sat in a room full of police officers and it was silent. 

I’ve thought about it often, but would it be fair to say we all had some sense of “Survivors Guilt”? 

42 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

I’ve thought about it often, but would it be fair to say we all had some sense of “Survivors Guilt”? 

I know what you mean, but I don’t think I’d characterize it as survivors guilt. More of “Damn, that could have been me.”

How many one here themselves signed up for the military or knew someone who did because of 9/11? I was thinking Navy while in highschool because my grandpa did 14 years before, during and after WW2. Then the “you have to go to college” barrage began so I didn’t. Fast forward to a year later and I again really thought about the military after 9/11. My dad and I had a serious discussion about it and he said I’d a good fit because I liked discipline and a schedule. My mom very much talked me out of signing up and I think about it almost everyday since. I could be dead, maimed, mentally Ill or just fine. No way to know.

I was at work, teaching a group of visiting managers when my wife called me. 

I remember asking my bosses, bosses, boss if we should cancel classes as a few attendees asked to be excused to go home and got an incredulous look from him. Three hours later I was told to send everyone back to their own stores.

Looking back what strikes me the most was how slowly the gravity of what was happening took to sink in for everyone. 

Remember also just a few days later the Antrax mail attacks started and went on for about a month. Then just over a year after 9/11 the country was dealing with the DC Sniper killing spree.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.