A.J Green Retires

He's one of the best players to ever wear a Bengal jersey.

He's also one of the few first round picks to not be a bust in the franchise history.

Before Burrow and Chase you could make the argument that he was the most successful first round pick since Willie Anderson or Takeo Spikes.

He will be forever overshadowed by Chad and now Chase but he was a special special talent.

1 hour ago, Coach112 said:

He's one of the best players to ever wear a Bengal jersey.

He's also one of the few first round picks to not be a bust in the franchise history.

Before Burrow and Chase you could make the argument that he was the most successful first round pick since Willie Anderson or Takeo Spikes.

He will be forever overshadowed by Chad and now Chase but he was a special special talent.

Mike Reid (DT-1970)- Multiple pro bowls and All-Pro first and second selections

Vernon Holland (T-1971)- 10 year career- 9 with Cincy

Issac Curtis (WR-1973)- He's Issac Curtis

Eddie Edwards (DE- 1977)- 12 years with the Bengals- 83.5 career sacks (some before it was a stat)

Ross Browner (DE- 1978)- 10 years, mostly with the Bengals- All-Rookie Team

Anthony Munoz (T-1980)- He's Anthony Munoz

Brian Blados (T-1984)- 10 years, mostly with Bengals- All Rookie Team

James Francis (LB- 1990)- 10 years- mostly with Bengals, All-Rookie Team

Big Daddy Wilkinson (DT- 1994)- Very respected 13 year career, only a few with the Bengals unfortunately

Willie Anderson (T- 1996)- He's Willie Anderson

Takeo Spikes (LB- 1998)- Very respected 15 year career, Only a few in a Bengals uniform

Justin Smith (DE- 2001)- 14 year career, half with the Bengals, multiple acolades

Carson Palmer (QB- 2003)- People in Cincy don't like him but not a bust

Johnathon Joseph (CB- 2006)- 15 year NFL Career, combines with Leon Hall to possibly be best back to back 1st round picks by Bengals

Leon Hall- (CB- 2007)- 12 year NFL Career, combines with Joseph to possibly be best back to back 1st round picks by Bengals

Dre Kirkpatrick (CB- 2012)- 10 year NFL career, frustrating at times, far from a bust

Kevin Zeitler (G- 2012)- 10 year NFL career, still going, not a bust

Jonah Williams (T-2019)- 4 year starter so far, frustrating at times, but if the Bengals put him on the block teams would come knocking quickly and that doesn't happen for busts

You recognized some of them from this list, and there are definitely some years when things were rough with draft picks, but to say he's "one of few" not to bust is crazy. They weren't all to AJ Green's level, but most picks aren't, even in the first round. 

• Thanks 2

The Bengals haven't had a ton of first round "busts", but the ones that were were spectacular.  Namely, KiJana Cater, David Klingler and John Ross.    Even the borderline busts (Dave Rimington, James Francis, Alfred Williams, Jack Thompson) were serviceable NFL players for Cincy and other teams.   They aren't as bad at the draft as the media wants to make out.

• Like 3

Getting off track here but to add perspective to draft pick success. Only 31% of NFL 1st round draft picks sign a second contract with the same team that drafted them. About 20% of 1st round picks don't last long enough in the NFL to sign a second contract. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

I think AJ is the best receiver in team history.  Chase may overtake him eventually.  In my opinion its...

1. AJ

2. Chad

3. Issac

incomplete - Chase & Higgins

Carl Pickens, Chris Collingsworth and Eddie Brown need to be in that conversation too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Mike Reid (DT-1970)- Multiple pro bowls and All-Pro first and second selections

Vernon Holland (T-1971)- 10 year career- 9 with Cincy

Issac Curtis (WR-1973)- He's Issac Curtis

Eddie Edwards (DE- 1977)- 12 years with the Bengals- 83.5 career sacks (some before it was a stat)

Ross Browner (DE- 1978)- 10 years, mostly with the Bengals- All-Rookie Team

Anthony Munoz (T-1980)- He's Anthony Munoz

Brian Blados (T-1984)- 10 years, mostly with Bengals- All Rookie Team

James Francis (LB- 1990)- 10 years- mostly with Bengals, All-Rookie Team

Big Daddy Wilkinson (DT- 1994)- Very respected 13 year career, only a few with the Bengals unfortunately

Willie Anderson (T- 1996)- He's Willie Anderson

Takeo Spikes (LB- 1998)- Very respected 15 year career, Only a few in a Bengals uniform

Justin Smith (DE- 2001)- 14 year career, half with the Bengals, multiple acolades

Carson Palmer (QB- 2003)- People in Cincy don't like him but not a bust

Johnathon Joseph (CB- 2006)- 15 year NFL Career, combines with Leon Hall to possibly be best back to back 1st round picks by Bengals

Leon Hall- (CB- 2007)- 12 year NFL Career, combines with Joseph to possibly be best back to back 1st round picks by Bengals

Dre Kirkpatrick (CB- 2012)- 10 year NFL career, frustrating at times, far from a bust

Kevin Zeitler (G- 2012)- 10 year NFL career, still going, not a bust

Jonah Williams (T-2019)- 4 year starter so far, frustrating at times, but if the Bengals put him on the block teams would come knocking quickly and that doesn't happen for busts

You recognized some of them from this list, and there are definitely some years when things were rough with draft picks, but to say he's "one of few" not to bust is crazy. They weren't all to AJ Green's level, but most picks aren't, even in the first round. 

Fair, I guess my point is that as many times as they have been in the top 10, he lived up to that billing not just a serviceable player with a long career.

And you named 18 guys in 49 years.  So, they hit at 37% clip, that's not otherworldly.

49 minutes ago, Coach112 said:

Fair, I guess my point is that as many times as they have been in the top 10, he lived up to that billing not just a serviceable player with a long career.

And you named 18 guys in 49 years.  So, they hit at 37% clip, that's not otherworldly.

AJ had some tremendous catches as a Bengal, but one of my all-time favorite moments from him was choking Jalen Ramsey and whipping him to the ground...and then throwing punches from the bottom of the pile!  Obviously hated losing him to the ejection...but, loved the dawg in him!

4 hours ago, Coach112 said:

There were others that could likely be named, probably closer to 50%.

Think of your best drafting teams and I bet they “hit” on 1st rounders 50% of the time or so. The Bengals issue for a long time was being too cheap to retain/entice talent, and drafting poorly in the middle rounds. 

Actually, the fact that they have been the exact opposite of that recently is just as much a reason for their success as drafting Burrow.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:53 PM, REALSPORT said:

I think AJ is the best receiver in team history.  Chase may overtake him eventually.  In my opinion its...

1. AJ

2. Chad

3. Issac

incomplete - Chase & Higgins

Agreed! For me I love Chase, but I still think at least at this point AJ Green in his prime was better than Chase. Burrow gives Chase all kinds of chances to make plays. We saw Green miss out on quite a few opportunities, by having an average QB literally leading him out of bounds numerous of times not even giving Green a chance to make a play. Yet even with that Green was still putting up huge numbers. Just imagine what he could have done in his prime with Burrow as his QB. 

I also would still take Chad Johnson in his prime over Chase at the moment. 

• Like 1

OchoStinko has never been one of my favorites. The biggest ME the Bengals ever had. Such a distraction. Are you old enough to have watch Isaac Curtis in his prime? Pure class.

4 hours ago, 9068 said:

OchoStinko has never been one of my favorites. The biggest ME the Bengals ever had. Such a distraction. Are you old enough to have watch Isaac Curtis in his prime? Pure class.

I saw the tail end of Curtis's career.  He was still a good receiver but was beginning to be overtaken by the likes of Collinsworth.  But he never had a tantrum about it.  As you said, the man was pure class.