Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Georgia State Title Game Horrendous Call

Featured Replies

This play was ruled a TD in the last minute of the game. How does something like this happen? BGP servers would have crashed if this had happened in Kentucky. ? 

I hate it for everyone involved, it doesn't even look close. 

There were two awful calls yesterday. That one obviously.

 

The other was in the Ware County vs Warner Robins game. The defender deflected a pass but the WR caught the tip. As soon as he grabbed it the same defender hit him causing the ball to bounce out where another defender made the easy INT and returned it 20-30 yards.

Initially and inexplicably it was ruled incomplete. At least in this case; the officials huddled and ended up awarding an INT just not the return due to an inadvertent whistle.

What is crazy about both is Georgia actually has replay allowed for the finals. An awful call like four or five years ago cost a team the title. For whatever reason they chose not to use it for this play.

 

 

4 hours ago, ATLCat said:

There were two awful calls yesterday. That one obviously.

 

The other was in the Ware County vs Warner Robins game. The defender deflected a pass but the WR caught the tip. As soon as he grabbed it the same defender hit him causing the ball to bounce out where another defender made the easy INT and returned it 20-30 yards.

Initially and inexplicably it was ruled incomplete. At least in this case; the officials huddled and ended up awarding an INT just not the return due to an inadvertent whistle.

What is crazy about both is Georgia actually has replay allowed for the finals. An awful call like four or five years ago cost a team the title. For whatever reason they chose not to use it for this play.

 

 

Are you sure about that?  Here's what is written in two articles that I read about the game: 

At the heart of the blown call is the lack of an instant replay system in Georgia high school football -- even at the state championship level -- a problem that has altered the outcome of state championships before. 

And

The lack of an instant replay system at the state championship level for Georgia high school football will hopefully get analyzed this off-season. It’s not the first time a blown call has cost a team a state championship in the state of Georgia, either. In 2017, Peach County lost to Calhoun. Noah Whittington clearly crossed goal line with the football in his hands, and it should have been called a touchdown. However, referees ruled the pass incomplete.

 

Everything I have read says that they don't use replay in the Georgia State Finals. 

 

Looks like he was maybe 1/2 yard short to me. That was a 3rd down play. I wonder if they would have kicked the field goal to tie the game or gone for it on 4th down?

Didn't the other official on the sideline see that?.....or when the umpire came up to get the dead ball spot did he not notice how far short it was???

In 2019 the school I graduated from Oxford High School won the 6A title. It's last title came in 1993. On a running play inside the 5 yard line officials said our running back fumbled the ball and the other team recovered. Our coach threw the red flag for a challenge. Replay showed that he was down before the other player took the ball away from him. We scored on the next play to win the game with 10 seconds left. I believe there should be replay in all state final games.

4 hours ago, Mayfieldsportsfan said:

In 2019 the school I graduated from Oxford High School won the 6A title. It's last title came in 1993. On a running play inside the 5 yard line officials said our running back fumbled the ball and the other team recovered. Our coach threw the red flag for a challenge. Replay showed that he was down before the other player took the ball away from him. We scored on the next play to win the game with 10 seconds left. I believe there should be replay in all state final games.

I agree we need it in Kentucky.  We don't even put our top officials in the state final games so the least the KHSAA could do is add replay. This year alone it probably would have changed the 6A game and it would have changed others in the past. 

3 hours ago, theguru said:

I agree we need it in Kentucky.  We don't even put our top officials in the state final games so the least the KHSAA could do is add replay. This year alone it probably would have changed the 6A game and it would have changed others in the past. 

I thought that they rated the refs and the highly rated refs got to work the championship games?
 

50 minutes ago, happ said:

I thought that they rated the refs and the highly rated refs got to work the championship games?
 

I thought they rotated the refs to give a lot of them the opportunity.  I could be wrong, anyone?

On 12/11/2022 at 8:05 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Are you sure about that?  Here's what is written in two articles that I read about the game: 

At the heart of the blown call is the lack of an instant replay system in Georgia high school football -- even at the state championship level -- a problem that has altered the outcome of state championships before. 

And

The lack of an instant replay system at the state championship level for Georgia high school football will hopefully get analyzed this off-season. It’s not the first time a blown call has cost a team a state championship in the state of Georgia, either. In 2017, Peach County lost to Calhoun. Noah Whittington clearly crossed goal line with the football in his hands, and it should have been called a touchdown. However, referees ruled the pass incomplete.

 

Everything I have read says that they don't use replay in the Georgia State Finals. 

 

I think this may be correct and I may be mistaken.

 

That Peach County call was so bad I thought it spurred the change but looks like I was wrong. Definitely seems like now should be the time to revisit that.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:23 PM, theguru said:

I thought they rotated the refs to give a lot of them the opportunity.  I could be wrong, anyone?

This is correct. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.