Saint Xavier 28 Owensboro 14

TheDeuce

Tiger defense yields one score and good goal line stand to keep a high powered Owensboro offense from getting the win.

Owensboro scored off a pick 6 in 1st quarter and Owensboro RB Carbon ripped off long run.

St. X QB Adam Boone and RB Dontre Richardson were the workhorses for St. X with each running for 2 touchdowns.

Good game for both teams to learn from. Good luck to Owensboro the rest of the season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tigerpride94 said:

Tiger defense yields one score and good goal line stand to keep a high powered Owensboro offense from getting the win.

Owensboro scored off a pick 6 in 1st quarter and Owensboro RB Carbon ripped off long run.

St. X QB Adam Boone and RB Dontre Richardson were the workhorses for St. X with each running for 2 touchdowns.

Good game for both teams to learn from. Good luck to Owensboro the rest of the season.

This.

Good game to start the season off.

Props to Owensboro to leaving everything out there. Played really aggressive. Not much more could be done on that end.

Congratulations St. X on the opening win. Tigers looking strong.

Great job on the streaming broadcast too.  Radio guys are good at what they do.  

• Like 3

O needs this game each year.  I think this game will pay dividends all year and if the O-line stays healthy, O is going to be a force in 5A.  X - great defense, because that’s a really good O offense at full strength.  Congrats Tigers and good luck!

• Like 3

What a game to open the season!  Got to sit next to my man @Tigerpride94 for all the inside X scoop!

I thought X looked good for the first game, although they had too many penalties.  QB Havill threw a poor Pick 6, but SR QB Boone made up for that with a ton of plays with his feet tonight.  But against the Big 6A teams, he will have to hit some of those downfield passes.  I think he can do that.  Just needs more reps!  I was also really impressed with X's downfield blocking.  RB Richardson is very good back.  He's going to be a baller.  Also really liked the Freshman WR.

The X defense was very good as advertised.  They did make one containment mistake on the Carbon TD, but other than that, they had a great goal line stand as O really wanted that last TD.  Great first game from a Tigers perspective.

For Owensboro, I expected them to play well and they really impressed me.  They come to Louisville first game of the year and open with a 40-45 yard Pick 6.  That was huge obviously.  Then the Carbon speed bolt was ultra impressive!  I know they didn't score on that last offensive possession, but I think I was most impressed by that drive.  QB Boone made some clutch throws.  Throws he didn't make last year I don't think.  I think he really stepped up this game.  Know he wanted that last TD, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  Maybe flare to Carbon???

The Owensboro defense, who didn't give up the Kick 6, played really well and made X work to earn their yards.  Remember it was 21-14 at the half, so X only scored 1 TD in the second half with a TON of guys going both ways!

Really impressed with the following Red Devils:

RB/DB Carbon - to me, the best player on their team.  That bolt TD run against X typically does not happen.  That was special.  Can I get that man a scholarship!  Played both ways some.

RB/DB Winstead - this dude's comin.  Once Carbon launches to college next year, this is the next guy and he's varsity ready right now.  Played both ways some.

OLB/TE Goodwin - @Brownhas been trying to sell me on this guy.  Well tonight I bought in.  He was all over the field (making big tackles; he got stuck on a TE catch, but still caught the ball).  Impressive.  Played both ways.

DE - Hines - Best DLineman on the team.  Was loose when most O DLine was not.  Made alot of plays. 

I'm not sold on the O LBs.  That's an area to exploit IMO.  O played their best guys on kicks too!  They came to win.  Their playcalling was really good tonight overall.  That hasn't always been the case, but it was impressive tonight.  Would have loved to have had a Wildcat with Carbon there at the end on the goal line, but oh well.

This is a team that can win 5A this year.  If I have to pick today, I'd pick O vs FD.  As TPride said, what a game that would be.  But alot of football to go.  I hope O can keep attention to detail while putting 50 burgers on everybody they play now.  That's a real thing because South Warren or BG will be calling Week 2 and it will be a game again.  But well done tonight Red Devils!

As @thegurusaid, there are two really good teams!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

What a game to open the season!  Got to sit next to my man @Tigerpride94 for all the inside X scoop!

I thought X looked good for the first game, although they had too many penalties.  QB Boone threw a poor Pick 6, but he will learn from that and he made a ton of plays with his feet tonight.  I was also really impressed with X's downfield blocking.  RB Richardson is very good back.  He's going to be a baller.  Also really liked the Freshman WR.

The X defense was very good as advertised.  They did make one containment mistake on the Carbon TD, but other than that, they had a great goal line stand as O really wanted that last TD.  Great first game from a Tigers perspective.

For Owensboro, I expected them to play well and they really impressed me.  They come to Louisville first game of the year and open with a 40-45 yard Pick 6.  That was huge obviously.  Then the Carbon speed bolt was ultra impressive!  I know they didn't score on that last offensive possession, but I think I was most impressed by that drive.  QB Boone made some clutch throws.  Throws he didn't make last year I don't think.  I think he really stepped up this game.  Know he wanted that last TD, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  Maybe flare to Carbon???

The Owensboro defense, who didn't give up the Kick 6, played really well and made X work to earn their yards.  Remember it was 21-14 at the half, so X only scored 1 TD in the second half with a TON of guys going both ways!

RB/DB Carbon - to me, the best player on their team.  That bolt TD run against X typically does not happen.  That was special.  Can I get that man a scholarship!  Played both ways some.

RB/DB Winstead - this dude's comin.  Once Carbon launches to college next year, this is the next guy and he's varsity ready right now.  Played both ways some.

OLB/TE Goodwin - @Brownhas been trying to sell me on this guy.  Well tonight I bought in.  He was all over the field (making big tackles; he got stuck on a TE catch, but still caught the ball).  Impressive.  Played both ways.

DE - Hines - Best DLineman on the team.  Was loose when most O DLine was not.  Made alot of plays. 

I'm not sold on the O LBs.  That's an area to exploit IMO.  O played their best guys on kicks too!  They came to win.  Their playcalling was really good tonight overall.  That hasn't always been the case, but it was impressive tonight.  Would have loved to have had a Wildcat with Carbon there at the end on the goal line, but oh well.

This is a team that can win 5A this year.  If I have to pick today, I'd pick O vs FD.  As TPride said, what a game that would be.  But alot of football to go.  I hope O can keep attention to detail while putting 50 burgers on everybody they play now.  That's a real thing because South Warren or BG will be calling Week 2 and it will be a game again.  But well done tonight Red Devils!

FYI... Havill threw the pick 6 not Boone.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I thought X looked good for the first game, although they had too many penalties.  QB Boone threw a poor Pick 6, but he will learn from that and he made a ton of plays with his feet tonight.  I was also really impressed with X's downfield blocking.  RB Richardson is very good back.  He's going to be a baller.  Also really liked the Freshman WR.

That was a great read @Purple88, thanks for all of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Actually Boone had 1 TD. One score was kickoff return.

3 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I thought X looked good for the first game, although they had too many penalties.  QB Havill threw a poor Pick 6, but SR QB Boone made up for that with a ton of plays with his feet tonight.  But against the Big 6A teams, he will have to hit some of those downfield passes.  I think he can do that.  Just needs more reps!  I was also really impressed with X's downfield blocking.  RB Richardson is very good back.  He's going to be a baller.  Also really liked the Freshman WR.

Best play calling I’ve seen from O in a big game in years. Hats off to Red Devil coaching staff. They had this team ready to go. 

• Like 2

After watching the replay late last night here are a few take aways:

The X defense is really good. The long TD run the DL doesn't get into the B gap and the the O RB hits that crease with nothing to slow him down other than the goal post. The X ILBers were really impressive to me. The two had last year were really good but the 2022 version seem faster and equally has good. The preseason talk about this defense being the fastest in the Coach Wallace era lived up to the hype in my opinion, they were flying all over the place. 

The X offense was able to take advantage of some running lanes to keep the Red Devils at arms length. It's the first game so as a fan I'm not too concerned about the next thing I'll just yet, but they have to become more efficient in the passing game. Either Boone or Havill have to be able to do that. As stated earlier, it takes reps and I think they'll be able too, but I think it may be Boone just because he does seem to make the read faster and get the ball out of his hand. The accuracy will get better.

I was impressed with Owensboro from the eye test. They sure do look the part. #25 on defense was very good, and overall thought their line play was very good. A lot of the time the line play is what trips teams up against the X's and T's of the world, but they had the dudes upfront to win these types of games. I really liked watching their RT; he's a dude!

Overall, both teams have the potential to be their at the end, good luck to both teams during the rest of the season. 

• Like 2