Saint Xavier 28 Owensboro 14

TheDeuce

44 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

After watching the replay late last night here are a few take aways:

The X defense is really good. The long TD run the DL doesn't get into the B gap and the the O RB hits that crease with nothing to slow him down other than the goal post. The X ILBers were really impressive to me. The two had last year were really good but the 2022 version seem faster and equally has good. The preseason talk about this defense being the fastest in the Coach Wallace era lived up to the hype in my opinion, they were flying all over the place. 

The X offense was able to take advantage of some running lanes to keep the Red Devils at arms length. It's the first game so as a fan I'm not too concerned about the next thing I'll just yet, but they have to become more efficient in the passing game. Either Boone or Havill have to be able to do that. As stated earlier, it takes reps and I think they'll be able too, but I think it may be Boone just because he does seem to make the read faster and get the ball out of his hand. The accuracy will get better.

I was impressed with Owensboro from the eye test. They sure do look the part. #25 on defense was very good, and overall thought their line play was very good. A lot of the time the line play is what trips teams up against the X's and T's of the world, but they had the dudes upfront to win these types of games. I really liked watching their RT; he's a dude!

Overall, both teams have the potential to be their at the end, good luck to both teams during the rest of the season. 

#25 is Goodwin - if he’s not an all-state LB they need to quit sending it out for votes (Frakes noted this in his tweet last night).  The RT is Miller - he’s a load.  We lost him early vs. Freddie last year and it went down hill.  The LT also has D1 offers (Lindsay).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tigercat said:

A great game to watch. X had some good speed in the backfield. Impressed with Owensboro. They will win a lot. How many for O went both ways?

O line and D line are all one way.  the ILB’s are one way, QB.  The starting safeties are one way.  Goodwin is a full time TE/OLB, Carbon plays RB and subs in at CB/S (didn’t seem to as much last night), Rogers is WR and subs in at CB.  

So mainly Pendleton WR/OLB and Goodwin TE/OLB.  Carbon and Rogers play some series on defense as well at CB.

• Like 1

I am so very often surprised by how people get worked up over these things. Really? I guess if you can turn that into bulletin board material and motivate kids, roll on. But surely that doesn't truly bother anyone. You have to work hard to get offended by that or be really sensitive.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am so very often surprised by how people get worked up over these things. Really? I guess if you can turn that into bulletin board material and motivate kids, roll on. But surely that doesn't truly bother anyone. You have to work hard to get offended by that or be really sensitive.

One of my biggest sports pet peeves, generating fake bulletin board material. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Killowatt59 said:

Wallace has been known to take some digs at some teams with good reason, but that’s not what he was doing here.

It was pretty clear he was talking about his own players taking steps back in their performance.

Especially being an offensive and OL guy, the OL had their struggles with false starts and a few bad snaps. False starts are mental mistakes that come back to bite you against good teams, and he knows that. Coach Wallace probably also knows there were some points left out there and some of those points were left out there because of their own doing. But like he said they were able to beat a good team to open up the Sean and that's always a plus.

• Like 2

Not said by anyone yet, but I want to give a shout out to Owensboro for playing Saint X and to Saint X for playing Owensboro. There are far too few matchups between Louisville and State schools. I like them. They are good for everyone, especially football in Kentucky.

• Like 6