A Look Ahead on our playoff structure

BlueRaider

I know we've talked playoff structure until we are blue in the face, but I was wondering if someone could clarify how the playoff system will be modified this season? I know that sister districts will be paired based on their seeding ie. 1 seed from district A plays the 4 seed from district B, 2 plays 3 and 3 plays 2. But when does RPI come into play within the process? Will it still happen during round 3, or will it start during round 4? Thanks in advance for any clarification you all can help me with!

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to A Look Ahead on our playoff structure

The only two rounds that are different are the first two. After that RPI kicks in and the 1 from east plays 4 from east, so on so forth. Then fourth round is where final four teams are ranked in RPI regardless of region. Then state championship. 

6 minutes ago, DearToday said:

The only two rounds that are different are the first two. After that RPI kicks in and the 1 from east plays 4 from east, so on so forth. Then fourth round is where final four teams are ranked in RPI regardless of region. Then state championship. 

I still don't think this is the correct or perfect solution... but I am liking this format a whole lot better than any other previous iteration.

I like the fact that if you have two heavyweights from the same district, you at least can kick the can to the Semi's potentially before they have to see each other again. Seeing one of the the Top 5 teams in a class bowing out after a hard fought Round 2 loss to another Top 5 team never felt fair to me.

• Like 7

Someone mentioned to me if RPI was used then why not seed the whole playoffs with it and I said we’ll probably the traveling would be the reason they don’t. I like this new cross district in the first two rounds. Should get to see some fun matchups. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ATLCat said:

I still don't think this is the correct or perfect solution... but I am liking this format a whole lot better than any other previous iteration.

I like the fact that if you have two heavyweights from the same district, you at least can kick the can to the Semi's potentially before they have to see each other again. Seeing one of the the Top 5 teams in a class bowing out after a hard fought Round 2 loss to another Top 5 team never felt fair to me.

Yeah, I agree. I think it's steps in the right direction. Like cheese said, I would love to see a full wide class rankings like NCAA where 1 plays the bottom seed and so on, but for driving purposes I'd say that will never happen. 

• Like 1

There seems to be a ton of confusion around the playoff format in my area.  I can't seem to find the updated information on the KHSAA website either?  Some coaches have told me they play inner district for round one, then cross with the sister district in round 2 and RPI in round 3.  Others have said first 2 rounds are cross and then RPI.  There is also some confusion about which districts are going to be sister districts.  Seems like this information should be on the KHSAA website since its game week but unless I am overlooking it, it's not there??

1 hour ago, ApolloFan98 said:

There seems to be a ton of confusion around the playoff format in my area.  I can't seem to find the updated information on the KHSAA website either?  Some coaches have told me they play inner district for round one, then cross with the sister district in round 2 and RPI in round 3.  Others have said first 2 rounds are cross and then RPI.  There is also some confusion about which districts are going to be sister districts.  Seems like this information should be on the KHSAA website since its game week but unless I am overlooking it, it's not there??

https://khsaa.org/05-05-21-board-of-control-approves-football-playoff-format-changes-for-2023/

This link discusses the “new” playoff format.

https://khsaa.org/02-18-22-football-first-2-rounds-of-playoffs-glove-reminder-rules-changes/

This link discusses that they will be implemented this season as opposed to next season.

Neither are the most transparent but I hope they help.

Seems as if sister districts are: 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 in every class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hard Work said:

Seeding/RPI is the worst. KHSAA should stop and leave football alone. 

Seeding is wonderful.  As in, seeding based on wins and losses within the district.  The RPI is an abomination and so utterly believable that the KHSAA implemented it out of thin air when they did. 

22 hours ago, WishboneCity said:

https://khsaa.org/05-05-21-board-of-control-approves-football-playoff-format-changes-for-2023/

This link discusses the “new” playoff format.

https://khsaa.org/02-18-22-football-first-2-rounds-of-playoffs-glove-reminder-rules-changes/

This link discusses that they will be implemented this season as opposed to next season.

Neither are the most transparent but I hope they help.

Seems as if sister districts are: 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 in every class.

Appreciate this!  That's how I thought it was but it seems there are still some that are confused by it.  This should clear it up.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, Hard Work said:

Seeding/RPI is the worst. KHSAA should stop and leave football alone. 

RPI isn't perfect by any means and needs tweaks but there is no doubt that the state title games have been more exciting and closer since going to the RPI system.  Fewer blowouts.

30 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

RPI isn't perfect by any means and needs tweaks but there is no doubt that the state title games have been more exciting and closer since going to the RPI system.  Fewer blowouts.

Agree with this, however I believe the real fix to having more competitive playoff games and subsequent championships lies in having less than 6 classes. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, teeroy said:

Will it be the same sister districts every year or will it rotate?

It has typically been the same sister districts each year. What changes the teams within the district is the redistricting process that happens when the KHSAA reclassifies schools. So you will see a difference within the districts next season since the KHSAA is set to reclassify this upcoming offseason. 

• Like 1