Manual Baseball Coach Terminated, but Fights Back

Purple88

On 8/15/2022 at 12:16 PM, The Double Deuce said:

Wow, if it is even possible, I think the AD comes across looking even worse than the Principal.  Maybe.  

I'd imagine JCPS should have all they need to reach a quick and speedy resolution on this one.

So freaking disappointing, "leaders" acting impulsively on "brown water", and then ending people's careers over playing time and then threatening people to take it in stride or it will be bad for you.  Gross.

The AD has no power in hiring/firing.  They have 1-year contracts just like every coach.  This isn’t college where AD’s have all the power in an athletic program.  All decisions to hire/fire are made by the principal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brooksville said:

The AD has no power in hiring/firing.  They have 1-year contracts just like every coach.  This isn’t college where AD’s have all the power in an athletic program.  All decisions to hire/fire are made by the principal. 

Thanks, aware of all of those things.  However, he could have certainly diffused the situation along the way by managing the Principal as he was spinning off the rails, he also SHOULD have spoken up during the meeting as the coach reports to him, and again to protect the principal who was playing daddy-ball with a man's career, and he DEFINITELY shouldn't have doubled down with a veiled threat in a text message after the fact.  If he meant well in that text, and at this point he looks like an empty bag in the principal's pocket, he should have met with the coach 1 on 1 to ease the termination, not send a text mafia-style (you'll go away quietly if you know what is good for you).  He showed cowardice throughout and seemed only concerned with protecting his own butt and self-interests.  Weak!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

Thanks, aware of all of those things.  However, he could have certainly diffused the situation along the way by managing the Principal as he was spinning off the rails, he also SHOULD have spoken up during the meeting as the coach reports to him, and again to protect the principal who was playing daddy-ball with a man's career, and he DEFINITELY shouldn't have doubled down with a veiled threat in a text message after the fact.  If he meant well in that text, and at this point he looks like an empty bag in the principal's pocket, he should have met with the coach 1 on 1 to ease the termination, not send a text mafia-style (you'll go away quietly if you know what is good for you).  He showed cowardice throughout and seemed only concerned with protecting his own butt and self-interests.  Weak!!!

As a former high school AD who crossed paths with their AD on a few occasions on opposite sides of the fence, what he did in this instance doesn't surprise me at all. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

How long has this clown been principal at Manual? What about the gimped AD?

What a disgrace on all fronts. I've seen a lot of laughable/headscratching parent statements/complaints/shots fired over the years, but have never had anyone suggest including ROE as part of a players' overall BA. That is .. astonishing. 

I wonder if there's an alternative side to this we haven't heard. Doubtful...and no one seems to be arguing the other side. If not, both P/AD need to be sent packing. 

Yet another reminder to never, ever assume that a position/title automatically means someone is sane or has integrity. 

And, mannnn do I feel awful for that kid. 

• Thanks 1

After reading the exchanges, the Principal appears as an entitled, unprofessional "Daddy-Ball" type bully and has zero business leading an institution of the caliber of Manual High School.  The AD needs to grow a spine or find another line of work.  Neither of them has any place in high-level athletics.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:19 AM, The Double Deuce said:

The AD is position is a 1 year stipend position as well I would say!  He is not risking his neck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Falcon Pride said:

So who is the Head Coach of the baseball program at DuPont?

KHSAA website says Ryan Blackwell, but I'm not sure who that is (former assistant coach or not).

I coach archery at Manual and will try to ask one of my archers whose also on the baseball team about that if I can think of it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2023 at 3:04 PM, Purple88 said:

KHSAA website says Ryan Blackwell, but I'm not sure who that is (former assistant coach or not).

I coach archery at Manual and will try to ask one of my archers whose also on the baseball team about that if I can think of it.

You are a man of many coaching hats. Great that you commit your time to helping kids.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

You are a man of many coaching hats. Great that you commit your time to helping kids.

As you know from coaching track, the more you put into your effort for the kids, the more you get out of it.

That plus just getting to spend that time with the kids is invaluable and really inspires me to be my best.  They keep me young I think!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

As you know from coaching track, the more you put into your effort for the kids, the more you get out of it.

That plus just getting to spend that time with the kids is invaluable and really inspires me to be my best.  They keep me young I think!

All true. Makes you feel younger even though not. Lol.

• Like 1