Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Murray coach to Louisville?

Featured Replies

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Archie Miller from Dayton to Indiana?  Eric Musselman from Nevada to Arkansas?  Porter Moser from Loyola to Oklahoma? 

When I'm talking mid-major, I'm talking a true mid (or lower) major. Dayton is in the Atlantic 10 but probably the closest example you can draw. The other two (Arkansas and OU) I'm not considering big boys of college basketball (think UK, UNC, UCLA, etc.). Murray State's last coach went to Iowa State, Cronin to UC... that is more along the lines of what you see which is akin to the Moser example.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • No.

  • Carl Spackler
    Carl Spackler

    Archie Miller from Dayton to Indiana?  Eric Musselman from Nevada to Arkansas?  Porter Moser from Loyola to Oklahoma? 

  • Recruiting, that's about it from the way I see it.  Him having played at Louisville does nothing for me.

11 hours ago, bugatti said:

When I'm talking mid-major, I'm talking a true mid (or lower) major. Dayton is in the Atlantic 10 but probably the closest example you can draw. The other two (Arkansas and OU) I'm not considering big boys of college basketball (think UK, UNC, UCLA, etc.). Murray State's last coach went to Iowa State, Cronin to UC... that is more along the lines of what you see which is akin to the Moser example.

UCLA has done it a few times: Jim Harrick, who won a National Title, and also Walt Hazzard.  Tom Crean went from Conference USA to Indiana.  And of course you've got Coach K and Bobby Knight from Army to Duke and Indiana. 

On 3/7/2022 at 4:46 PM, bugatti said:

You don't normally see a big boy high major school take a flyer on a mid-major coach. I actually don't know a time it has ever happened and don't anticipate this being any different. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It happens for years.

South Carolina took a shot at Darren Horn a good while ago.  He went from Western (Which I believe was in the SunBelt at the time?) to SC in the SEC.   That didn't work out for SC, but eventually did for NKU.

12 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

UCLA has done it a few times: Jim Harrick, who won a National Title, and also Walt Hazzard.  Tom Crean went from Conference USA to Indiana.  And of course you've got Coach K and Bobby Knight from Army to Duke and Indiana. 

Thank you for understanding what I was saying. Your Walt Hazzard one is good. Harrick made the leap from Pepperdine, so that is a good one too, although he had previously been an assistant at UCLA. Again, it is incredibly rare.

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

South Carolina took a shot at Darren Horn a good while ago.  He went from Western (Which I believe was in the SunBelt at the time?) to SC in the SEC.   That didn't work out for SC, but eventually did for NKU.

 

10 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

It happens for years.

I can give you 500 examples on the Darren Horn level. South Carolina is not college basketball royalty. That is just your run of the mill mid-major to power 6 transition. Mick Cronin was hired to UCLA from Cincinnati. He was not hired from Murray State to UCLA. The overwhelming majority of these schools hire guys that are "made men" so-to-speak. 

2 hours ago, bugatti said:

 

I can give you 500 examples on the Darren Horn level. South Carolina is not college basketball royalty. That is just your run of the mill mid-major to power 6 transition. Mick Cronin was hired to UCLA from Cincinnati. He was not hired from Murray State to UCLA. The overwhelming majority of these schools hire guys that are "made men" so-to-speak. 

So what does Payne bring to the table?

15 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

UCLA has done it a few times: Jim Harrick, who won a National Title, and also Walt Hazzard.  Tom Crean went from Conference USA to Indiana.  And of course you've got Coach K and Bobby Knight from Army to Duke and Indiana. 

With the exception of Tom Crean, none of those were within the last forty years. College basketball has changed drastically since then. And you mention Crean in Conference USA but that version of C-USA was much different than today's. Crean had recently went to the Final Four with a Marquette program that has been consistently good and even owns a national championship.

3 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

So what does Payne bring to the table?

Former Louisville player. Coached with a hall of fame coach in Calipari for several years at UK. Now an assistant coach in the NBA.  Hard to argue that he doesn’t know what it takes to become/develop an NBA talent.  Not a huge name in head coaching searches but that’s likely in part due to his lack of experience as a head coach. 

8 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

So what does Payne bring to the table?

Don't know and not advocating for or against Payne and didn't say anything about him. He has been a lead assistant at one of these major schools and an assistant for an NBA team. So, more of a made man, IMO.

As an aside, I think some of these blue-blood programs could benefit from taking a flyer on one of these low mid-major type coaches, but I think these schools often look at the connections (i.e. recruiting), which I get. They view it as more of a risk. Different sport and circumstance, but I think about Jim Tressel being hired at Ohio State.

49 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

So what does Payne bring to the table?

Recruiting, that's about it from the way I see it. 

Him having played at Louisville does nothing for me.

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Recruiting, that's about it from the way I see it. 

Him having played at Louisville does nothing for me.

This is where I was when Travis Ford was a hot name to replace Billy G.

I don’t really understand Duke and North Carolina being so adamant on keeping it in the family. 

I don’t really care if the guy after Cal can point out Kentucky on a map. Just be a decent guy and win games…

19 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

This is where I was when Travis Ford was a hot name to replace Billy G.

I don’t really understand Duke and North Carolina being so adamant on keeping it in the family. 

I don’t really care if the guy after Cal can point out Kentucky on a map. Just be a decent guy and win games…

If Payne is the best available, I'm fine with that hire. There is a portion of the fan base (and a bunch of older players) that seem to think it's Payne or bust. 

Scott Drew is another name that has been thrown around. If Drew is interested, there's zero scenario I take Kenny Payne over Scott Drew. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Former Louisville player. Coached with a hall of fame coach in Calipari for several years at UK. Now an assistant coach in the NBA.  Hard to argue that he doesn’t know what it takes to become/develop an NBA talent.  Not a huge name in head coaching searches but that’s likely in part due to his lack of experience as a head coach. 

That's like me watching surgeon operate, could I perform the same operation?  The answer would be no.  Hiring Payne would be the same gamble as hiring a mid major coach.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.