2022 Boys' Sweet 16® Bracket

2 hours ago, brooksville said:

The KHSAA doesn’t mandate that districts seed, so I never see the state tournament being seeded.  

Some district requires seedlings, some don’t. If it’s all under the KHSAA umbrella, either seed them all (district, region and state championship) or blind draw them all… just be uniform across the board. That’s all I’m saying. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Some district requires seedlings, some don’t. If it’s all under the KHSAA umbrella, either seed them all (district, region and state championship) or blind draw them all… just be uniform across the board. That’s all I’m saying. 

With the Sweet 16 being the big money maker for KHSAA, I don’t see them seeding.  You would get some very bad first round games. 

• Like 2

I don’t think the regions or state tournament will ever go to seeding brackets. That works okay for districts because each team is required to play the other district teams twice during the season. That produces a natural seeding from head to head play.
I realize the colleges seed but It’s easier to seed college tournaments because they have so much analytical material to base their placements. Not so much for high schools. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Professor said:

I don’t think the regions or state tournament will ever go to seeding brackets. That works okay for districts because each team is required to play the other district teams twice during the season. That produces a natural seeding from head to head play.
I realize the colleges seed but It’s easier to seed college tournaments because they have so much analytical material to base their placements. Not so much for high schools. 

They are not required to play twice. Many districts only play once. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:54 AM, brooksville said:

With the Sweet 16 being the big money maker for KHSAA, I don’t see them seeding.  You would get some very bad first round games. 

First, I'm against seeding, but you will have some lopsided first round games either way.

• Like 1

With seeding you’re forcing the hand that seeds 1-4 have a smoother path to the semi’s. Sure, nothing’s for sure and in seeding still an underdog can squeak through.

We know that the unexpected can happen, and not trying to stop a top dog, blind draw ensures that an underdog might have a better chance of stepping forward. If a top team is unstoppable they’ll end up champs anyhow, but I like that underdogs don’t automatically get tossed into a rough ride from the get go.

We know that with 16 regions the entire field of the Sweet 16 is not the top 16 teams of the state. Again taking nothing away from highly ranked teams, but there’s something magical in high school ball that if a team can string together 4 good games then just maybe they have a chance to shock the experts. They’re worthy of the chance by merit of making it to the Sweet 16. Honestly, who doesn’t like to see some team rise up just at the right time, and make the goosebumps pop up when seeing extreme dreams come true?

Seeding in the NCAA is acceptable and right (though still not an exact science), but high school ball offers that special something, (where the majority of the players will not play at the next level) where it’s hugely exciting to feel that each team in the Sweet 16 no matter their ranking has at least a hair of a chance to make some magic. 

• Like 3

29th only plays each other district team once - which struck me as very odd when I moved to Oldham County.  I guess I've gotten used to it, although it seems with a 28 game schedule, you'd have room for more district games.......

5 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

I know of the 32nd, 34th, 35th, 36th, and 37th Districts only play each other once. I believe the 33rd is changing from playing twice to once next season. 

I like the idea of playing each other twice per season. It adds meaning and importance to the games. They’re not the district tournament atmosphere but our district games have a different feel to them than other games on the regular season schedule. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Polar Bearcat said:

Will the games be broadcast on NFHS network?

From the KHSAA Press Release last week:

Each game of the Boys’ and Girls’ Sweet 16® will be webcast live at KHSAA.tv for subscribers of the NFHS Network. By purchasing a month-long pass to the NFHS Network, fans can watch all 30 games of the Girls’ and Boys’ Sweet 16® for just $10.99 along with every live and on-demand broadcast by the KHSAA and the more than 45 participating state associations.

• Thanks 2

Question.  Does RPI factor in the strength of schedule?

If it does, I sort of see the RPI argument.  If RPI does not take in consideration the strength of schedule, then we should never even consider using it.  There are some teams across the state that have padded their schedule.  JMO....

7 minutes ago, Reno said:

Question.  Does RPI factor in the strength of schedule?

If it does, I sort of see the RPI argument.  If RPI does not take in consideration the strength of schedule, then we should never even consider using it.  There are some teams across the state that have padded their schedule.  JMO....

Yes, but RPI doesn’t factor point differential and out of state teams count as an average team(RPI of 0.5) . At least this is what I’ve been told 

• Like 1