Kentucky 78 Vanderbilt 66

16thBBall Fan

Good win, any win on the road is a good win especially at Vandy. With that said I’m still not a fan of their big lineup Cal uses. It seems like anytime Hopkins is in at the 3, the offense stalls. With that said I do think Hopkins gave some better minutes today than he has given. However, the offense as a whole still stalls and other team goes on a run when the big lineup is in. 

It seemed like Calipari really wanted to utilize the bigger lineup tonight.  Not because it was working but perhaps looking at a future match up?  I've said for a while that this team is built like some of the good Villanova teams of recent.  Great guard play, shooters, scorers and we have a beast in the middle of the paint.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

With that said I’m still not a fan of their big lineup Cal uses. It seems like anytime Hopkins is in at the 3, the offense stalls. With that said I do think Hopkins gave some better minutes today than he has given. However, the offense as a whole still stalls and other team goes on a run when the big lineup is in. 

Sure stalled big time in the first half when Hopkins, Toppin and Collins were in the game together. Vandy went on a 8-10 point run.

Then of course being up 28 and took the dogs off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Sure stalled big time in the first half when Hopkins, Toppin and Collins were in the game together. Vanda went on a 8-10 point run.

Then of course being up 28 and took the dogs off.

I feel like that's one of those moments they really miss Wheeler at point.  That was a sloppy mess to start the 9-0 run for Vandy and then UK quit looking for shots which let it get closer. 

• Like 1

Just now, sportsfan41 said:

I feel like that's one of those moments they really miss Wheeler at point.  That was a sloppy mess to start the 9-0 run for Vandy and then UK quit looking for shots which let it get closer. 

No doubt. Wheeler makes a big difference there. Not something I am concerned with. I am sure Cal is annoyed though.

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I don't know if I've enjoyed watching a big man play like I do Tshiebwe. Love his energy, his will. And finesse for a big fella.

My favorite Cat to watch since maybe Anthony Davis.  He was dominant tonight.  Of course, Vandy's interior defense was terrible and never really made many adjustments.  Oscar sealed defenders all night and his teammates repeatedly fed him.

10 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Good win, any win on the road is a good win especially at Vandy. With that said I’m still not a fan of their big lineup Cal uses. It seems like anytime Hopkins is in at the 3, the offense stalls. With that said I do think Hopkins gave some better minutes today than he has given. However, the offense as a whole still stalls and other team goes on a run when the big lineup is in. 

I like Hopkins but I'd like to see him run with four starters at some point during the game. Maybe a lineup of Wheeler, Washington, Grady, and Oscar (or Washington, Grady, Mintz, and Oscar if Wheeler is still out). It feels like some of these second string guys never get quality minutes with the first string and subsequently look bad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I like Hopkins but I'd like to see him run with four starters at some point during the game. Maybe a lineup of Wheeler, Washington, Grady, and Oscar (or Washington, Grady, Mintz, and Oscar if Wheeler is still out). It feels like some of these second string guys never get quality minutes with the first string and subsequently look bad.

I completely agree with Hopkins.  When he comes in with Collins and Toppin, you don't really get to see what he's maybe capable of.  I'd like to see them maybe try a lineup of Wheeler, TyTy, Grady, Hopkins and Tshiebwe.

12 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

It seemed like Calipari really wanted to utilize the bigger lineup tonight.  Not because it was working but perhaps looking at a future match up?  I've said for a while that this team is built like some of the good Villanova teams of recent.  Great guard play, shooters, scorers and we have a beast in the middle of the paint.

They mentioned that in the radio broadcast last night - Cal is forcing minutes to some of the bigs to get them experience and prepare for games to come where UK will need them.

12 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

I kind of hear you with the comparison, but I wish UK has that other guy that can break you down.