Cincinnati Chili..

Glider

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Interesting. Doesn't look like my thing, but I will give it a try sometime.

Honest truth...I thought it sounded gross the first time I heard about it. Lol, I was even hesitant to take a bite the first time I ordered one. It's definitely not an all the time food, but as seldom as I make it to Dixie, living in Louisville currently, I definitely have one each time I go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Honest truth...I thought it sounded gross the first time I heard about it. Lol, I was even hesitant to take a bite the first time I ordered one. It's definitely not an all the time food, but as seldom as I make it to Dixie, living in Louisville currently, I definitely have one each time I go.

I am not a pickle on a sandwich person. Plus, I put mayo on almost every sandwich but it just doesn't sound right on that one. But I am intrigued now. I just have to get one of the kids to get off their Skyline fixation and go to Dixie Chili with me.

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Empress *is* the original Cincinnati style chili. It was originally made by two Greek brothers who operated a hot-dog cart out front of the Empress Theater...an old Presbyterian Church-turned-burlesque theater that allegedly had a brothel operating out of it as well.

The brothers eventually opened their first storefront next door to the theater (later named the Gayety Theater) because of how popular their chili dogs were with the patrons. Both the theater and the original Empress Chili parlor were demolished to make way for and expansion of the Cincinnati Public Library.

Not sure whether or not Empress has tweaked their recipe over the years, but there used to be a location up in Hartwell near the office of a general contractor I used to work for. I ate there about once a week because they had great deli sandwiches in addition to the chili. Their chili was a little sweeter than most of the others I've had.

large.jpg

image-asset.jpeg

Years ago Ted Kiradjieff was my brother's baseball coach.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I know this isn't exactly about the chili, but I had my first Gold Star cheeseburger the other day and it definitely lived up to the hype.  I was very pleased.

It it a go-to for me during Cincy Burger Week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I know this isn't exactly about the chili, but I had my first Gold Star cheeseburger the other day and it definitely lived up to the hype.  I was very pleased.

I can second that. Gold Star’s burgers are a nice change of pace. I like to get the chili burger as well there. 

• Like 1

I definitely eat Skyline the most, but they're all very similar to me, minus Gold Star, which is a little lacking in the flavor department. 

The best single chili item I've had is the 6 way at Blue Ash with the jalapeño caps.  Pretty amazing.  

The worst is the 6 way at Dixie, with the garlic.  I'm a garlic fan, but I can't understand that dish at all. 

5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

An alligator is __________ ?

Ok, I will give the other answer, from Wikipedia:

An alligator is a crocodilian in the genus Alligator of the family Alligatoridae. The two extant species are the American alligator (A. mississippiensis) and the Chinese alligator (A. sinensis). Additionally, several extinct species of alligator are known from fossil remains. Alligators first appeared during the Oligocene epoch about 37 million years ago.[1]

The name "alligator" is probably an anglicized form of el lagarto, the Spanish term for "the lizard", which early Spanish explorers and settlers in Florida called the alligator.[2] Later English spellings of the name included allagarta and alagarto.[3]