College Football Playoffs - Who figures to make it?

theguru

Also for some more perspective Walter. When Georgia played the games that you’re saying aren’t impressive.  They beat #3 Clemson, #8 Arkansas, #11 Kentucky and #18 Auburn.  They also played in the SEC which right or wrong, is much more impressive. I like UC and want them in the playoffs because I think they’ve earned it. But don’t try to oversell them.  No one that knows anything about college football would say that UC had a tougher schedule than Georgia. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Also a win over #22 Kentucky, which was ranked as high as 12th this season. 

Kentucky isn't in the CFP Top 25... That's why I didn't include them in my original post. They might be ranked this coming week. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Also for some more perspective Walter. When Georgia played the games that you’re saying aren’t impressive.  They beat #3 Clemson, #8 Arkansas, #11 Kentucky and #18 Auburn.  They also played in the SEC which right or wrong, is much more impressive. I like UC and want them in the playoffs because I think they’ve earned it. But don’t try to oversell them.  No one that knows anything about college football would say that UC had a tougher schedule than Georgia. 

The point of my post wasn't to discredit anything Georgia has done or say UC has played a tougher schedule. Georgia is very clearly the best team and have dominated their opponents. I don't think their schedule was a "gauntlet" though, as another poster used to describe it.

How they handled their schedule was impressive and I don't think UC would have dominated the same schedule the way Georgia did, but winning againt three 6-6 SEC East teams, a 6-6 Auburn that lost their only marquee OOC game to Penn State, a 2-10 Vandy team, a 7-5 Tennessee squad that lost to Pitt in their only marquee OOC game, and beating UK at home just isn't as tough as that poster made it out to be. Arkansas was clearly not a top 10 team which is why they have been in and out of the bottom of the top 25 since that UGA game. Tougher to do than what UC did? Absolutely. No arguments there.

I'm just not a fan of using a team's conference as a reason for why they should be considered better than another team or saying they are more deserving of a ranking. We really don't know how UC would do against the same schedule so why throw out "UC wouldn't be undefeated against the same schedule." Honestly, who cares? It just comes off as being bitter that a certain team has had success and looking for a way to discredit what they have done.

I am asking for someone to do "work" here but can anyone list the games that matter this weekend and the time they are played?  I have to be really organized to watch them all and watch all the Kentucky High School State Championship games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I am asking for someone to do "work" here but can anyone list the games that matter this weekend and the time they are played?  I have to be really organized to watch them all and watch all the Kentucky High School State Championship games. 

12/3 8pm #11 Oregon vs #17 Utah (Rose Bowl implications)

12/4 12pm #8 Baylor vs #7 Ok. St. (Potential CFP implications with an Ok. St. win)

12/4 4pm #1 Georgia vs #3 Alabama (Obvious CFP implications)

12/4 4pm #24 Houston vs #4 Cincinnati (CFP implications)

12/4 8pm #5 Michigan vs #16 Iowa (CFP implications)

12/4 8pm #17 Pitt vs #18 Wake (Orange Bowl implications)

IMHO those are the games that matter and why.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Tones said:

12/3 8pm #11 Oregon vs #17 Utah (Rose Bowl implications)

12/4 12pm #8 Baylor vs #7 Ok. St. (Potential CFP implications with an Ok. St. win)

12/4 4pm #1 Georgia vs #3 Alabama (Obvious CFP implications)

12/4 4pm #24 Houston vs #4 Cincinnati (CFP implications)

12/4 8pm #5 Michigan vs #16 Iowa (CFP implications)

12/4 8pm #17 Pitt vs #18 Wake (Orange Bowl implications)

IMHO those are the games that matter and why.

Thanks @Tones!

• Like 1

Who gets in this scenario?

Alabama beats Georgia 

Oklahoma State beats Baylor

Cincinnati beats Houston 

Michigan beats Iowa

Alabama would be a lock, Michigan would be a lock but which two of Georgia, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State would get in?

Based on what we've seen, short of getting boat raced by Bama UGA has been the most dominant team all season with their only loss being to a top 3 team. Oklahoma State would have 3 or 4 top 15 wins and UC has their ND and Houston wins as their key moments.

Does UGA get left out?

Does OK State or Cincy get left out?

I can't wait to watch it all play put today.

43 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Who gets in this scenario?

Alabama beats Georgia 

Oklahoma State beats Baylor

Cincinnati beats Houston 

Michigan beats Iowa

Alabama would be a lock, Michigan would be a lock but which two of Georgia, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State would get in?

Based on what we've seen, short of getting boat raced by Bama UGA has been the most dominant team all season with their only loss being to a top 3 team. Oklahoma State would have 3 or 4 top 15 wins and UC has their ND and Houston wins as their key moments.

Does UGA get left out?

Does OK State or Cincy get left out?

I can't wait to watch it all play put today.

I don't think they should get left out but I'm already preparing myself for UC to get left out tomorrow if things play out like that and Bama beats Georgia. 

Bama v Georgia is the game that has the most impact on the CFP and UC. Georgia wins and it doesn't matter what happens in the other games , as far as UC goes. 

20211203_142650.jpg

43 minutes ago, Walter said:

I don't think they should get left out but I'm already preparing myself for UC to get left out tomorrow if things play out like that and Bama beats Georgia. 

Bama v Georgia is the game that has the most impact on the CFP and UC. Georgia wins and it doesn't matter what happens in the other games , as far as UC goes. 

20211203_142650.jpg

Lee Corso was adamant today that they don't belong in the CFP. He seems to have an unnatural dislike for them.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

20211203_142650.jpg

If Baylor beats OSU today, that would pretty much lock UC in regardless of the Bama/UGA outcome too. So go Bears!

• Like 1