College Football Playoffs - Who figures to make it?

theguru

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

Makes sense to me, Notre Dame probably doesn't belong. 

Quite honestly is they get in it would be by default. So if they were to get in, it would be because no one else really belonged either. Because the teams they would have made it in over, also would have been very flawed and or lost to a team they shouldn’t have. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I don’t think if Bama wins next week makes it interesting at all. Georgia is in win or lose to Bama. The top 4 going into next week is probably Georgia, Bama, UC, Michigan. So if Bama wins the only thing that changes is probably Bama goes to 1 and Georgia to 2 or 3.  For it to be interesting, then would need Bama to lose. If Bama loses a close game, they still may put a two lost Bama in, a Big 12 champ, or Notre Dame. 

We are talking about different things.  A Bama win next week means the championship is wide open to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theguru said:

We are talking about different things.  A Bama win next week means the championship is wide open to me. 

Ok got ya. Honestly I think its wide open no matter what. I do think Georgia is very good, but I don’t think they are as good as some of the top playoff teams from previous years. I honestly think if Notre Dame somehow sneaked in, they would actually be competitive against a Georgia team in the playoffs. Whoever gets in this year, I think any of the 4 seeds truly would have a chance at it. I don’t think this years playoffs would have as strong of teams as were use to seeing. 

7 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I don’t think if Bama wins next week makes it interesting at all. Georgia is in win or lose to Bama. The top 4 going into next week is probably Georgia, Bama, UC, Michigan. So if Bama wins the only thing that changes is probably Bama goes to 1 and Georgia to 2 or 3.  For it to be interesting, then would need Bama to lose. If Bama loses a close game, they still may put a two lost Bama in, a Big 12 champ, or Notre Dame. 

Totally agree!

Just now, futurecoach said:

Ok got ya. Honestly I think its wide open no matter what. I do think Georgia is very good, but I don’t think they are as good as some of the top playoff teams from previous years. I honestly think if Notre Dame somehow sneaked in, they would actually be competitive against a Georgia team in the playoffs. Whoever gets in this year, I think any of the 4 seeds truly would have a chance at it. I don’t think this years playoffs would have as strong of teams as were use to seeing. 

I tend to agree college football is weaker this year including at the top.  Assuming that is the case, I am all in on wanting UC to win it all. 

• Like 1

If the championships go by the chalk it should be easy. 

Georgia, Michigan, Cincinnati and Oklahoma State. 

Why not ND - Two score loss, at home, to a top team.  Best win - #18 Wisconsin.  However this win was heavily diminished today with Wisconsin losing to Minnesota and not going to the championship game.  ND will not have a win against a top 20 team. 

Why Oklahoma State - Close loss to in conference Iowa State AT Iowa State.  Conference play on the road can lead to these things.  But with a second win over ranked Baylor OSU would have three (3) wins vs. top 20 teams. 

Its not ND's fault (directly) that the traditional powers it schedules are down or that the ACC is a dumpster fire.  But that is the case.  A win over a fading Wisconsin does not match OSUs record against ranked teams.  If OSU wins next week and the committee still takes ND, it will be a very bad look.  

• Like 1

I'm a Notre Dame fan but the team will need a lot of help to make it in.  Do I think we're a top 4 team this year?  Not really, but I'll take an 11-1 finish because I thought we'd lose 3-4 games this year after we had to rally late to beat Toledo.  As noted already, strength of schedule wasn't good for the Irish because traditionally good teams like Florida State and USC imploded, UNC wasn't as good as advertised to start the year, and VA Tech was just not up to snuff.  One of those cases where the ACC tie-in hurt the team.

Only reason to really get in the playoff is to help recruiting out.  But I think to get in we need a win by Georgia and a Baylor win over Oklahoma State.  Probably also need Houston to upset Cincinnati.  And all of that still might not be enough.  And if it's not?  I'll still be okay with it and watch the New Year's Six bowl the Irish get to be a part of.

• Like 1

ESPN Power Rankings:

1. Georgia

2. Michigan

3. Cincinnati

4. Alabama

5. Oklahoma State

6. Notre Dame

7. Ole Miss

8. Baylor

9. Michigan State

10. Ohio State

Not sure Ohio State all the way down at 10 makes sense considering they beat Michigan State 56-7... I think they're probably at 5 or 6 in the CFP Rankings on Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1