Owensboro at Frederick Douglass Predictions/Updates

16thBBall Fan

Owensboro vs. Frederick Douglass  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances to the state chamionship at Kroger Field?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/27/2021 at 12:32 AM

17 minutes ago, theguru said:

Outside fans looking in:  How do 2021 Oboro and FD compare to 2020 Oboro and FD?

I think Douglass is pretty similar to the 2020 team if anything their O-line and in turn the running game may not be quite what is was last year and for sure not up to what is was in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Owensboro fans: Is Owensboro a better team right now than they were this time last year?

FD fans: Is FD a better team right now than they were this time last year?

Owensboro is about the same on defense maybe slightly a bit more athletic with more team speed. Special teams are better. Offense IMO is leaps and bounds better as they are better at every position except QB (but the efficiency is similar) any player on the offense can be used to beat you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owensboro great secondary.  20 interceptions lead state.  Clark with 3 pick 6’s.  Owensboro intercepted Graves 6 times in 2 games.  No running game last year, this year 2 great backs and 2 D1 offensive linemen. All around several guys that should play college ball.  Defense is better overall.   Offense has weapons everywhere.  Special teams much much better with Moorman, Rogers and Carbon.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2GUCew

Check out this interception by safety Johnson last week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Brown thank you. I definitely under sold the Defense and there accomplishments. I’m sure if the Devils come ready to play that the Defense should speak for itself. As far as special teams goes I believe last yr we fair caught mostly every punt. That’s has to be the best improvement made that doesn’t get talked about enough. Overall the Devils are just better this yr. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Killowatt59 said:

Owensboro fans: Is Owensboro a better team right now than they were this time last year?

FD fans: Is FD a better team right now than they were this time last year?

Where I was going with this is if the teams are very close than FD will win.

I watched the game last year and FD did everything they could to lose that game. If FD wasn't as good this year or Owensboro wasn't that could change my opinion.

BUT if the teams are close this year I would think FD wins this game. They should have won it last year.

Plus I didn't know how bad losing their D1 QB would hurt Owensboro. Hard to say because of Owensboro schedule. 

8 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Where I was going with this is if the teams are very close than FD will win.

I watched the game last year and FD did everything they could to lose that game. If FD wasn't as good this year or Owensboro wasn't that could change my opinion.

BUT if the teams are close this year I would think FD wins this game. They should have won it last year.

Plus I didn't know how bad losing their D1 QB would hurt Owensboro. Hard to say because of Owensboro schedule. 

Lot of woulda, coulda and shoulda's in there!  Maybe there's a reason for that.

I may be in small company for saying this, but I believe Owensboro is a better all around team with Boone at QB than Wimsatt.  Just my opinion.  That has to do with the level of play I've seen out of the rest of the team.  I think the rest of the team has raised their level of play since Wimsatt isn't there now.  That's all I'm saying and not a shot at Wimsatt at all.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Purple88 said:

Lot of woulda, coulda and shoulda's in there!  Maybe there's a reason for that.

I may be in small company for saying this, but I believe Owensboro is a better all around team with Boone at QB than Wimsatt.  Just my opinion.  That has to do with the level of play I've seen out of the rest of the team.  I think the rest of the team has raised their level of play since Wimsatt isn't there now.  That's all I'm saying and not a shot at Wimsatt at all.

I'm going with FD if the teams are close. FD gave the game away last year, I wouldn't think they would do it again. 

I'm runnin' with the Devils - I can hear the bass intro in my head as I'm typing this.

Owensboro shouldn't be overwhelmed with the D1 talent across the field, because they saw it last year and bested it. Plus, the Boyle County game gives me pause as far as picking Douglass here. Boyle showed what great coaching and discipline combined with selfless playmakers can do to the Broncos. I think Douglass will be better prepared, but Owensboro pulls it out, maybe by a 2-3 scores If Douglass is without its two FBS linebackers.

• Like 2

I can't speak to Douglass but I don't have any doubt that Owensboro is a better team right now than they were at any point last season.  The biggest area of improvement would be on special teams and in the running game.  Barksdale has been a huge difference maker.  Especially since moving to RB full time.  I think the WR's are better and the team just has more balance right now.  It would be silly to suggest that Boone is any an upgrade from Wimsatt but I do believe it has forced Owensboro to become more balanced on offense and it has really helped their passing game, if that makes any sense.  While they have a lot of the same players on the defensive side, they are all more experienced now and seem to be very comfortable in their roles.  Look no further than the Graves County domination as proof of that.  Every single player is a better version of themselves in 2021 as opposed to 2020.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Killowatt59- I don't think they gave the game away at all.  Yes they missed a 25 yard FG at the horn that they could have hit, but Owensboro picked them off twice and dominated the 1st half.  Freddie dominated the 2nd half, until Wimsatt drove Owensboro down for the final score.  Did they not play well the first half?  Sure, but that had to do with Owensboro playing well.

10 minutes ago, Brown said:

@Killowatt59- I don't think they gave the game away at all.  Yes they missed a 25 yard FG at the horn that they could have hit, but Owensboro picked them off twice and dominated the 1st half.  Freddie dominated the 2nd half, until Wimsatt drove Owensboro down for the final score.  Did they not play well the first half?  Sure, but that had to do with Owensboro playing well.

From what I saw FD gave Owensboro the game who then went on to get smoked in the title game.

• Haha 2