Open Job: Lexington Catholic

WOFOJP61

On 11/20/2021 at 1:56 PM, 9068 said:

What about Bob Sphire?

When he was hired by Highlands, Sphire said in a couple of interviews that Highlands was the one job he would have been willing to come back to Kentucky for. I guess we'll find out whether or not that's true, but my suspicions are that with a former player of his as AD, and with the his son on staff and prepared to take the torch whenever Coach Sphire chooses to pass it on, he's more than likely staying put in Fort Thomas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

When he was hired by Highlands, Sphire said in a couple of interviews that Highlands was the one job he would have been willing to come back to Kentucky for. I guess we'll find out whether or not that's true, but my suspicions are that with a former player of his as AD, and with the his son on staff and prepared to take the torch whenever Coach Sphire chooses to pass it on, he's more than likely staying put in Fort Thomas.

I would assume Coach Sphire still has a lot of friends currently at LexCath and one could make the same arguments about Coach Sphire returning to LexCath.

In a vacuum I would stay at Highlands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FrankNicodemus said:

With the people that matter, they love Bob and will make sure whatever he needs he gets.....

Highlands better approach it that way.  If Coach Sphire were to leave after one year it would be a very bad sign for the Bluebirds.  At that point I would hire an alum period. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

Highlands better approach it that way.  If Coach Sphire were to leave after one year it would be a very bad sign for the Bluebirds.  At that point I would hire an alum period. 

Totally agree, if Bob snuck out in the middle of the night, it would make the Eddie James "pivot" look like child's play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

With the people that matter, they love Bob and will make sure whatever he needs he gets.....

You might rephrase that. All of us that pay school tax in the big FT matter. I would also replace needs with wants. Many of us have supported the school and athletic program for a long time even though it's been a while since we've had kids in the system. If he's the guy you want great. Just remember.....really good players make coaches really good!

19 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

What about them?  What are you trying to say here, but confused.

Real simple. You need better players. Maybe they will improve. 5-6 without Moeller or Boyle. Don't be blaming the "previous regime" because you sure wouldn't have given them any credit if the Birds had gone 9-3 or so. Special team play is about organization, assignments, and desire. Two of those three are players.

6 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Real simple. You need better players. Maybe they will improve. 5-6 without Moeller or Boyle. Don't be blaming the "previous regime" because you sure wouldn't have given them any credit if the Birds had gone 9-3 or so. Special team play is about organization, assignments, and desire. Two of those three are players.

Was Highlands poor on special teams because of the players, lack of scheme and or lack of coaching?