8. Oklahoma (9-0)

7. Michigan State (8-1)

6. Michigan (8-1)

5. Cincinnati (9-0)

4. Ohio State (8-1)

3. Oregon (8-1)

2. Alabama (8-1)

1. Georgia (9-0)

Gotta be thrilled if your an OSU or UC fan, I think both might be in if they win out.

• Like 2

So just for kicks let say Purdue beats Ohio State then they have 3 top 5 wins on their resume and a loss to a top 10 ND team.  Then 2 other bad losses.  Where do they get ranked?  Are they Top 10?  Are they knocking on the door if the win the Big 10 Championship game as well which whomever they play would be Michigan, Michigan St or OSU so that team would be in the Top 10 for sure.  I think this scenario would be the committee's biggest nightmare.  No way a 3 loss Purdue team is even sniffing Top 4 or does this scenario leave the Big 10 without a team.  For sake of argument which is more important the 3 losses in the first half of the season or the 4 Top 5 wins in the second half of the season?

Being the cynic, at what point do the top teams in your conference get a call go there way because if that team were to lose your conference loses millions of dollars.  Not saying this has happened but it has crossed my mind.  Do you not make that holding call on a certain team when they score the go ahead TD that locks in their spot in the BCS playoff?  

25 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

Is the committee anticipating a Michigan State loss to OSU?  Leaving the Michigan OSU game as a playoff game itself?

I don't think the committee is doing that and I don't think they can do that.  They should be looking at what every team has done so far in their schedule and ranking them based strictly on that. The nuance in this though is they are using subjective judgment, call it the eye test, to also factor if they think one team is better than another.  I guess that is their explanation for why a team who was beaten by a 3 win team is #3 and Michigan State is #7.

4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't think the committee is doing that and I don't think they can do that.  They should be looking at what every team has done so far in their schedule and ranking them based strictly on that. The nuance in this though is they are using subjective judgment, call it the eye test, to also factor if they think one team is better than another.  I guess that is their explanation for why a team who was beaten by a 3 win team is #3 and Michigan State is #7.

I agree they shouldn't but what is in the heads of people is not always what "they should do."

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I again fall back onto my theory that the committee decides what teams they want to put in there...and THEN they find the criteria that is needed to satisfy those results.  No way can you say one week that head to head matters, and then the very next week, say that it doesn't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The team at #3 has a MUCH better win than any thing Michigan State has. Oregon is getting a serious boost from going into Columbus and winning, as they should.