Covington Catholic 10 Ryle 3

A couple thoughts from tonight:

1. A really nice win against a good team. We were the tougher, more physical and more disciplined team and deserved the win. 

2. The rain definitely helped us more than Ryle. Having said that, I thought their receivers were well covered all night. We’re well coached and playing at a pretty high level defensively right now.  

3. I’m not sure what our record would be without Preston Agee, but I don’t think we’re 7-3. He was almost 100% of the offense. I hope he gets a lot of time in the cold tub because he’s getting over 20 carries next week too. 

4. Big night for the seniors up front with Wilson, Dietz and Sullivan all had really nice games. All very good, big, physical high school players.

5.  Gabe Savage is a really good player with a great name and the fact he also wears #21 is incredible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First off -- it was an honor to be on the field with my brother for his senior night and I'm proud of the way he and all his fellow seniors played tonight. It was my first time being back at Dennis Griffin in over a year and the atmosphere and game was awesome. 

I feel like that was our best defensive performance of the year, and our best win of the year overall against a solid Ryle squad. The D-Line played solid against the run the entire night and our secondary flew to the ball and was all over their receivers. 

Our special teams play was very solid too besides the one turnover we had on the punt return. Didn't give them favorable field position much at all on some booming punts.

I loved all the noise we brought and it certainly didnt help Ryle. They had quite a few penalties and I believe two/three false starts on one drive on consecutive plays.

Its Playoff time -- Go Colonels!!!!!

• Like 1

CovCath kept Ryle from establishing the run and it was a difficult night to pass. The Ryle drive at the end of the first half that ended at the 6 hurt. They had wasted a couple of time outs they could have used. Continued lack of discipline on false starts by Ryle killed a couple drives. Total yardage was probably even for the game or slightly in Ryle’s favor. CovCath deserved the win and congrats to them. Two evenly matched teams. Good Luck to both moving forward.