BluegrassPreps Class 2A Football Rankings 10/25

TheDeuce

There are level headed Mayfield fans on here.  We just aren't as loud 🤐

Murray executed better than Mayfield last week, and that's all there is to it.  Don't know the exact count, but Murray won the time of possession battle easily.  Mayfield defense was fatigued in the second half and just couldn't come up with stops.  Did Mayfield have a chance to make plays and win the game?  Absolutely.  Missed on two deep TD passes, and had the fumble at the end that gave the ball back to Murray.  Seems like Murray's style of play just matches up well with Mayfield.  The Cards are used to playing spread teams.  Playing defense against Murray requires assignment football, and Mayfield didn't play disciplined enough to win.  Maybe this will be a wakeup call for them.  If these two teams manage to meet up again, it will be interesting to see what Mayfield's defensive strategy will be.  They stayed in a 4 man front the entire game, I'm guessing to limit the big play outside, and instead were beat to death up the middle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BadaBing said:

There are level headed Mayfield fans on here.  We just aren't as loud 🤐

Murray executed better than Mayfield last week, and that's all there is to it.  Don't know the exact count, but Murray won the time of possession battle easily.  Mayfield defense was fatigued in the second half and just couldn't come up with stops.  Did Mayfield have a chance to make plays and win the game?  Absolutely.  Missed on two deep TD passes, and had the fumble at the end that gave the ball back to Murray.  Seems like Murray's style of play just matches up well with Mayfield.  The Cards are used to playing spread teams.  Playing defense against Murray requires assignment football, and Mayfield didn't play disciplined enough to win.  Maybe this will be a wakeup call for them.  If these two teams manage to meet up again, it will be interesting to see what Mayfield's defensive strategy will be.  They stayed in a 4 man front the entire game, I'm guessing to limit the big play outside, and instead were beat to death up the middle.

It is interesting that Murray has won two in a row against Mayfield, especially since Mayfield has dominated the series seemingly forever. Is there any particular reason Murray has had success? Often long losing streaks become mental barriers. Maybe Murray is realizing they can beat high level teams like Mayfield?

11 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

It is interesting that Murray has won two in a row against Mayfield, especially since Mayfield has dominated the series seemingly forever. Is there any particular reason Murray has had success? Often long losing streaks become mental barriers. Maybe Murray is realizing they can beat high level teams like Mayfield?

The game last season Murray out played us. This season they were lucky. 

• Haha 1

Probably ball control, physicality and getting over the mental barrier are the main links. Its interesting to me that the two wins came from two different coaches with very different styles. Murray also lost a ton of talent from last year. I think they have less than thirty on the team this year.

• Like 1

Hope Mayfield and Murray get to meet again, as a Beechwood Fan, I’m kind of hoping the cardinals get to come up here so I can see them in person. At the same time seeing Murray win again would be a state wide shock I believe. You’d think there’s no way they can make it 3 in a row? Right? 

1 hour ago, gchs_uk9 said:

You have to remember, this Murray team was told over and over they could never live up to last years team because of the amount of senior talent that left.  Their former head coach and DC jumped ship the week before dead period.  How do these young men respond...

The culture is changing!! Since Coach Bowling's first day in July, he has implemented a hard nose, impose your will type of play that these young Tigers are embracing.  On day 1, Murray had around 50+ kids come out for football.  They are now fielding around 28-30 players.  He demands accountability and excellence from his kids and understand that they can deliver. Now its not just the football team, the community is rallying around the program and there is an aura that they will be in every game they play.

I still think they are lacking personnel in certain areas and their depth is almost non-existent but they will come at you with everything they have.  Personally, I am proud of these kids for overcoming so much adversity this year!  Even if they don't get past the second round, I think you can call this a successful season.

• Like 4

I agree last year Murray was the better team.  This year Mayfield just didn't grab the bull by the horns.  In the past, they've had alphas that would have gone up and gotten both of those potential touchdown passes, or would have had better ball security late in the 4th quarter when all they needed was a couple first downs to bleed the clock.  That is why I haven't classified them as championship caliber.  No alphas and no killer instinct.

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

For starters, Murray seems to have more talent on their roster the past 2 or 3 years than they've had in quite a while.  Secondly, as previously mentioned, their offensive philosophy allows them to shorten the game and maintain control of the clock, which keeps them competitive with more talented teams.  Lastly, its obvious the new coach is good at what he does, and he seems to have unified the team and has them believing in each other.

• Like 1

The talented class with this Murray team is the sophomore group. The rest are just very average I think. The Sr. qb has done a heck of a job though with the offense. Coach Bowling definitley didnt just stumble into a 38 game win streak and 4 state championships without knowing how to win some football games. Someone told me the other day that his weight program is really what sets him apart. Ive always thought Murray may have lacked in that area.