Tubby Smith Name is Heading to the Rafters

okie1

45 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

More details on this story please. What is happening?

An assumption became fact Tuesday as Kentucky announced it will honor former coach Orlando “Tubby” Smith before the game against High Point on Dec. 31. UK will retire a jersey in Smith’s honor, the school said. It will hang in the Rupp Arena rafters.

“It’s very humbling,” Smith said in a virtual appearance on the “BBN Tonight” television show. “We’re very grateful to have had an opportunity to lead that program.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article255131667.html#storylink=sectionheadlines

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

I agree with most of the above comments, but didn't Tubby basically get ran out of Lexington?

So did Adolph Rupp and Joe Hall...it's part of the job...just like another year like last year for Cal and folks will be wanting his head!

8 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Yes.  But he was clearly on the decline when he left.

That said, this honor is very deserving.  Tubby is a good dude.

I wouldn't say that Tubby was on the decline, just isn't cut out to recruit the highly sought after, often entitled elite players.  I think that Tubby wanted blue collar, humble guys like himself and unfortunately that doesn't sell recruits in this day and age.

I have always said if I could create the perfect coach, I would have Cal recruit them, Pitino prepare them and let Tubby be the in game coach. 

• Like 3