"Just Sayin'" - Any Thoughts ?

5-oh

After reading the article, I was curious if there were any opinions or thoughts on the topics discussed?  

- NKY Coaches Top 10 teams.

- Ninth Region's Top 10 Basketball Players voted on by Coaches.  (I think Campbell County is a 10th Region team?)

-  CCH schedule, "Anybody, Anywhere."  "Trinity, St. X, Lex Cath, and a number of 9th Region teams won't schedule us... 8/30." 

https://www.rcnky.com/articles/2021/10/08/dan-webers-just-sayin-cov-caths-ruthsatz-finds-home-nky

How in the world is there not a regular season game with Highlands for Covington Catholic?  The article alludes to schools not wanting to play Covington Catholic and lists Trinity St X and Lex Cath as schools that won't play Covington Catholic.  I seriously doubt that is the case with the defending state champs so what gives?

1 hour ago, cincyswords said:

How in the world is there not a regular season game with Highlands for Covington Catholic?  The article alludes to schools not wanting to play Covington Catholic and lists Trinity St X and Lex Cath as schools that won't play Covington Catholic.  I seriously doubt that is the case with the defending state champs so what gives?

That is very much the case, Highlands won't schedule in boys basketball at any level.

Any thoughts on NKY Coaches top teams or 9th Region top players?  Any teams / players left off ?  There will be lots of new teams with '21 graduations and some who have several returning players and contributors.  Who are the dark horses?

Where did the McGillis boy come from?  The article mentioned him being new, but didn't specify if he was from another school or just up from JV last year.

Also any idea who the other start will be (after Starks, Mitchell and Ipsaro)?

This article makes CovCath look like the victims lol.  It is no secret why the schools in NKY do not want to play.  As for the other catholic schools, I'm not sure for their reasoning.  Ruthsatz made it sound like all the schools are just scared to play, which isn't the case.  But if I'm a NKY school, if I have to play CovCath I would want it to be in the post-season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PP1 said:

Article kind of speaks for itself.

It does but it doesn't -- what grounds would Trinity, St. Xavier, or LexCath have to take a stance against anyone?  I mean, they can't all be lacking every ounce of their self-awareness, can they?  The hypocrisy would be so overwhelming, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Hoopoop said:

Where did the McGillis boy come from?  The article mentioned him being new, but didn't specify if he was from another school or just up from JV last year.

Also any idea who the other start will be (after Starks, Mitchell and Ipsaro)?

Pretty sure McGillis came from Ohio and played mostly JV last season.  McGillis will possibly start this season along with the three you mentioned.  No idea on the 5th starter.  Either way, they'll  be a very difficult matchup for any team in the 9th Region.    

On 10/13/2021 at 3:47 PM, The Double Deuce said:

It does but it doesn't -- what grounds would Trinity, St. Xavier, or LexCath have to take a stance against anyone?  I mean, they can't all be lacking every ounce of their self-awareness, can they?  The hypocrisy would be so overwhelming, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

St. X played them last year. Nothing says have to play them every year. They have played some other years but never really been a every year commitment.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, 5-oh said:

Any thoughts on NKY Coaches top teams or 9th Region top players?  Any teams / players left off ?  There will be lots of new teams with '21 graduations and some who have several returning players and contributors.  Who are the dark horses?

This summer I was fortunate enough to be able to catch several summer scrimmages, including 8 of the coaches top 10, excluding Highlands & Beechwood. 

I think the coaches preseason rankings seems to be pretty on point based off what i was able to watch this summer.  I dont see anyone challenging Cov Cath in NKY this year unless its just one of those special games or performances. 

In regards to "dark horse" teams.   

If Holy Cross can get some production from Javier and Big Sam Gibson they could be a top 3-4 team in the region. 

ST Henry- Of all teams i watched this summer, i was most impressed with how well St. Henry played especially after losing so many seniors.  I couldnt believe how much size they still had. If they get some good guard play this team could really surprise some teams.

Lloyd- I was really impressed with how hard Coach Walker had these guys playing this summer. They have really good combination of size and guard play.  I look for Lloyd to make some noise and move up in the rankings.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, 5-oh said:

Pretty sure McGillis came from Ohio and played mostly JV last season.  McGillis will possibly start this season along with the three you mentioned.  No idea on the 5th starter.  Either way, they'll  be a very difficult matchup for any team in the 9th Region.    

McGillis is from Little Miami in Ohio.

Crazy I missed this thread last week!  I think this is very interesting and probably will gain more attention once everyone moves past football season and puts their minds into Basketball.  

I think it is incredible that Coach Listerman has totally snubbed his school Cov Cath not even answering the call to potentially play them.  

He is already become a LEGEND at Highlands winning State last year, but this move has put the cherry on top of his Fort Thomas Legendary Status!  I love it!!!!!!

#GO BIRDS

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Crazy I missed this thread last week!  I think this is very interesting and probably will gain more attention once everyone moves past football season and puts their minds into Basketball.  

I think it is incredible that Coach Listerman has totally snubbed his school Cov Cath not even answering the call to potentially play them.  

He is already become a LEGEND at Highlands winning State last year, but this move has put the cherry on top of his Fort Thomas Legendary Status!  I love it!!!!!!

#GO BIRDS

There is a LOT of history between the Listermans and CovCath, most of the recent stuff is not good, and not only with Kevin.  Say what you want, from where you want, with whatever color of blue you wear....this rivalry both on and off the court is getting more intense if that is even possible.

Too bad they don't play at Highlands this year.  I GUARANTEE there would have been a ring ceremony, state title video, some type of tribute in the Fort on that night. Probably before each game and at halftime.  LOL....

• Like 3
  • Haha 4