Jon Gruden is out

On 10/18/2021 at 7:12 AM, PurplePride92 said:

Did they say something derogatory about Goodell?  

I’ll be honest, I haven’t really kept up with the situation outside of the headlines.

Was Gruden fired only for comments against Goodell ? I assumed he was let go based on racist/homophobic/sexist comments?

48 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t really kept up with the situation outside of the headlines.

Was Gruden fired only for comments against Goodell ? I assumed he was let go based on racist/homophobic/sexist comments?

Technically he was fired for all of it but I am of the belief that if he had never spoken ill of Goodell then we would have never heard anything about the emails.    

• Like 2

Just now, PurplePride92 said:

Technically he was fired for all of it but I am of the belief that if he had never spoken ill of Goodell then we would have never heard anything about the emails.    

This is my belief too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

I’m not informed enough to share that opinion I suppose.

I believe he resigned based on his racist/homophobic/sexist comments.

If we look through the lyrics of any hip hop artist who has preformed on behalf of the NFL in the last 10 plus years, we’d find much worse. 

10 hours ago, MBWC41 said:

I’m not informed enough to share that opinion I suppose.

I believe he resigned based on his racist/homophobic/sexist comments.

If we look through the lyrics of any hip hop artist who has preformed on behalf of the NFL in the last 10 plus years, we’d find much worse. 

Which gives more credence to my theory about these emails remaining hidden had he not mentioned Goodell.  

Initially when the racist emails were exposed nothing happened to him.  It wasn’t until his emails surfaced about Goodell that the push to get him out happened.   When Raiders owner Mark Davis was asked about it his reply was “ask the NFL, they have all of the emails.” 

11 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

Which gives more credence to my theory about these emails remaining hidden had he not mentioned Goodell.  

Initially when the racist emails were exposed nothing happened to him.  It wasn’t until his emails surfaced about Goodell that the push to get him out happened.   When Raiders owner Mark Davis was asked about it his reply was “ask the NFL, they have all of the emails.” 

You may be overthinking this one. Think Ray Rice. He gets ousted once TMZ makes the video public. In this case the NYT released a single racist email. The NFL, Gruden, et. al figured they could survive just one as Gruden was not a coach at the time but rather an ESPN employee. The NYT released a series of emails thereafter and Gruden resigns. Davis and all owners pay Goodell to be the front man for bad publicity. He spends everyday getting talked about (publicly and privately), in a negative sense, by all sides. Point being, saying something bad about Goodell is probably the least egregious thing he did, it’s a past-time for these guys. 

13 minutes ago, bugatti said:

You may be overthinking this one. Think Ray Rice. He gets ousted once TMZ makes the video public. In this case the NYT released a single racist email. The NFL, Gruden, et. al figured they could survive just one as Gruden was not a coach at the time but rather an ESPN employee. The NYT released a series of emails thereafter and Gruden resigns. Davis and all owners pay Goodell to be the front man for bad publicity. He spends everyday getting talked about (publicly and privately), in a negative sense, by all sides. Point being, saying something bad about Goodell is probably the least egregious thing he did, it’s a past-time for these guys. 

I could be overthinking it.  That is possible.  It won’t change my opinion though.  We know now that the NFL knew about these emails for months before they released them.   Why did they get released now and why were more emails released after it appeared that being racist wasn’t enough for him to be removed from his job?   The whole thing just stinks.  This was a calculated hit job IMO.  Being racist and homophobic is second nature to a large percentage of the NFL decision makers.  The NFL would have us believe that Jon Gruden is the only person who was racist and homophobic through emails?   Yeah, right.  

I can’t help but wonder what happens if he never calls Goodell what he called him.   

And with all of this they will have Dr. Dre(assaulted a woman), Snoop(killed a guy) and Eminem(world’s favorite homophobe) performing at the Super Bowl in what will be a very entertaining halftime show.   

• 3 weeks later...

Jon Gruden is suing the NFL saying they sought to destroy his career and reputation.  

I like that he is suing the NFL even though they exposed his true colors.  They did so to ruin his career and reputation.  Otherwise they would have exposed the racist, homophobe owners and not the sacrificial lamb, Jon Gruden.  

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 3:44 PM, PurplePride92 said:

Jon Gruden is suing the NFL saying they sought to destroy his career and reputation.  

I like that he is suing the NFL even though they exposed his true colors.  They did so to ruin his career and reputation.  Otherwise they would have exposed the racist, homophobe owners and not the sacrificial lamb, Jon Gruden.  

Discovery would be interesting. But no way it gets that far, the NFL will settle with him to keep their closet closed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Discovery would be interesting. But no way it gets that far, the NFL will settle with him to keep their closet closed.

...but will he settle with the NFL? I could see Gruden turning down a big offer to stick it to the league.

58 minutes ago, Tones said:

...but will he settle with the NFL? I could see Gruden turning down a big offer to stick it to the league.

I think he would, for the right price.

Then again, football is his life and it's likely he'll never have a job in or around football again. So he may, just like you say.