Walter

Irish or Bearcats  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Will Coan be playing?

Looks like we should know more today... 

"The quarterback situation is such, and I think I mentioned it after the game, if Jack is healthy, Jack would be our starter. But Tyler felt really good yesterday at treatment, so he declared himself feeling really good, so that that's good for us. That allows us to get him back into the mix. We'll see when we get on the field tomorrow. We're not on the field today, so I really can't give you an assessment of how [Jack] is relative to throwing the football. I think tomorrow we'll make a decision on how he feels and how he looks. If he looks good, he'll be our starter and Tyler Buchner will play, like we had before we went into this game, this last game. If he can't, then Drew is ready to go and it appears that Tyler is going to be in pretty good shape to play for us. So, the two quarterback situation, it just depends on what two from that standpoint."

More from Brian Kelly from Monday's presser:

On UC's offense:

“Week 5, it’s Cincinnati. Great opponent, nationally ranked and deservedly so. This is a well coached football team. Very talented in all phases offensively. I think you start with Desmond Ridder, the quarterback, he's a playmaker He reminds me of the kid we went against, Perkins at Virginia, a couple years back. Very athletic, makes plays with his feet, deceptively accurate, strong arm, talented. It's a really good quarterback and he's got a lot of experience. He's played a lot of football, a lot of college football, a lot of winning football. He has won a lot of football games. So, I think you start there on the offensive side of the ball. He's surrounded with some really good players. I really like the Pierce kid. He's Ben Skowronek in a sense. He's tall rangy, athletic, he runs really good routes. Two outstanding tight ends that are really part of what they do. Ford is a big play guy. He had a huge run against Georgia, I think a 79-yard run, so he's got the speed to break away from from talented players. This is a really good offense led by a veteran talented quarterback and I think we all know in college football, you start there. Veteran leadership at the quarterback position, skill players on the perimeter and they got speed at the slot, a go-to guy in Pierce, two really good possession guys at the tight end position and then a big play back. There's enough there to really cause you some concern."

Brian Kelly on UC's defene:

"From a defensive standpoint, they return a lot of veterans to a defense that obviously has a new defensive coordinator but has a very, very similar scheme to what they've been running. Really, a lot of good depth from from a defensive structure. In the back end of the defense, probably as talented that we're going to see. They're going to challenge every throw. You're going to get an assortment of different coverages. I really like Bryant at corner to the field and then Gardner into the boundary. Gardner's long, athletic, likes to press. Two really good corners. Up front, Malik Vann is physical, plays with great leverage. Sanders, the defensive end, is 6-5 and athletic. It's a really good defense with depth at all positions, so they can send seven or eight guys at you from a defensive standpoint in their front, which is a little bit unusual for most defenses today. Great depth there, linebacker play is excellent. I really like the way the Pace kid is playing for them. Local kid out of Colerain. He's really taken a step up. So, veteran defense, really good speed, going to challenge in the back end, they are well coached. Luke has done a great job obviously at Cincinnati and they're deserving of where they're ranked. This is clearly, from our perspective, the best team that we played up to this point."

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

I was hoping for the actual comments and not a video, can you sum it up?

Absolutely! Kelly was asked about scheduling his former employer and he answered by stating that he likes to give those schools the "opportunity" to play a Notre Dame. He added that he has scheduled others like UC and referenced Central Michigan. He said that most times when you offer a school like them (Central Michigan and UC) they jump on the chance to play a school like Notre Dame. 

It seems many in the UC camp took offense to this answer. Many are appalled that he would lump the #7 ranked team in the nation alongside Central Michigan. Others think it was a chance to give one more jab at UC as to why he couldn't refuse the Notre Dame job. As if they're in an entirely different class or tier. 

My opinion is that the lumping of UC and CMU was goofy, but he isn't entirely wrong. UC did jump on that opportunity and it is because they realize until you can compete with/beat teams like Notre Dame they are a level above you! I have no problem with the comments. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Absolutely! Kelly was asked about scheduling his former employer and he answered by stating that he likes to give those schools the "opportunity" to play a Notre Dame. He added that he has scheduled others like UC and referenced Central Michigan. He said that most times when you offer a school like them (Central Michigan and UC) the jump on the chance to play a school like Notre Dame. 

It seems many in the UC camp took offense to this answer. Many are appalled that he would lump the #7 ranked team in the nation alongside Central Michigan. Others think it was a chance to give one more jab at UC as to why he couldn't refuse the Notre Dame job. As if they're in an entirely different class or tier. 

My opinion is that the lumping of UC and CMU was goofy, but he isn't entirely wrong. UC did jump on that opportunity and it is because they realize until you can compete with/beat teams like Notre Dame they are a level above you! I have no problem with the comments. 

I agree based on the way you summed it up and Central Michigan, lol.