#7 Cincinnati at #9 Notre Dame Predictions/Updates

Walter

Irish or Bearcats  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, John Anthony said:

The winner of this game gets to coach ND next year.

I would absolutely hate that after a UC win. I love Fickell and can't wait for his big school opportunity, but I'd hate it. 

With that said, if Fick ended up at ND, does Freeman get the head job at UC?

37 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I would absolutely hate that after a UC win. I love Fickell and can't wait for his big school opportunity, but I'd hate it. 

Ha who knows, mostly me being hyperbolic but OSU and ND are Fick’s can’t say no’s.  I do think ND would be ready to bring in the new if UC pulls it off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

34 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Ha who knows, mostly me being hyperbolic but OSU and ND are Fick’s can’t say no’s.  I do think ND would be ready to bring in the new if UC pulls it off.

Kelly said in an interview not too long ago that the next Notre Dame football coach is already on his staff... Marcus Freeman. 

And how do we know Fick doesn't view UC as his "big school opportunity?" 

Not to get too far off topic of the thread, but things have been pretty good for Fick during his time at UC.

- In 5 years, the University has raised/spent $180 million on facility upgrades for their two biggest sports.

-They're currently in the middle of a $5 million dollar project to upgrade the gameday locker room at Nippert. 

- They're in the architect/design/planning phase for a $60 million Indoor Practice Facility. 

- They've gone 34-6 over the past 4 years and were a missed FG away from beating arguably the most talented team in the country last season. 

- He's making $3.4 mil to coach a team currently ranked in the Top 10.

- Despite the conference affiliation, UC is still recruiting at a high level and he's been able to assemble a roster that has NFL scouts regularly at games/practices (Eleven different teams sent scouts to the Indiana game and 17 franchises will have 27 scouts at the Notre Dame game)

From the Thamel article:

While driving his Lexus SUV over to the radio show, Fickell’s excitement comes through as he discusses Cincinnati’s future. He states definitively that the Big 12 spot incentivizes him to stay at Cincinnati. “Yeah, it does,” he said. “As long as you're growing, you feel like, 'Hey, we can continue to do things.' And for me, that's a big deal. Could we still grow? Yeah, I think we could've and you kept telling yourself you will. But with this, I think you have to.”

Amy Fickell loves the family’s Midwestern Mayberry, living on the same street as Bengals owner Mike Brown. “If you can continue to get better, that's really what drives Luke, really,” she said. “And that opportunity is definitely there [with the Big 12], so it's very exciting.”

....“We’re not movers,” says Amy Fickell, as she and Luke have never lived full-time out of the state of Ohio.

6 hours ago, John Anthony said:

The winner of this game gets to coach ND next year.

Kelly is by far the most successful coach ND has had since Holtz.  Unless Kelly chooses to move on, ND would be foolish to move on.  I've been a fan since as long as I can remember which is the mid 80's.   Despite the lack of any recent national championships, ND is having a better run than they had in the last 30 years.  That 91 or 92 Rick Meier lead team was the last time the Irish were as good as they are now.  That team was better but you know what I mean.  

55 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

Kelly is by far the most successful coach ND has had since Holtz.  Unless Kelly chooses to move on, ND would be foolish to move on.  I've been a fan since as long as I can remember which is the mid 80's.   Despite the lack of any recent national championships, ND is having a better run than they had in the last 30 years.  That 91 or 92 Rick Meier lead team was the last time the Irish were as good as they are now.  That team was better but you know what I mean.  

Sounds a lot like Massillon high school football in Ohio.

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Kelly said in an interview not too long ago that the next Notre Dame football coach is already on his staff... Marcus Freeman. 

And how do we know Fick doesn't view UC as his "big school opportunity?" 

Not to get too far off topic of the thread, but things have been pretty good for Fick during his time at UC.

- In 5 years, the University has raised/spent $180 million on facility upgrades for their two biggest sports.

-They're currently in the middle of a $5 million dollar project to upgrade the gameday locker room at Nippert. 

- They're in the architect/design/planning phase for a $60 million Indoor Practice Facility. 

- They've gone 34-6 over the past 4 years and were a missed FG away from beating arguably the most talented team in the country last season. 

- He's making $3.4 mil to coach a team currently ranked in the Top 10.

- Despite the conference affiliation, UC is still recruiting at a high level and he's been able to assemble a roster that has NFL scouts regularly at games/practices (Eleven different teams sent scouts to the Indiana game and 17 franchises will have 27 scouts at the Notre Dame game)

From the Thamel article:

While driving his Lexus SUV over to the radio show, Fickell’s excitement comes through as he discusses Cincinnati’s future. He states definitively that the Big 12 spot incentivizes him to stay at Cincinnati. “Yeah, it does,” he said. “As long as you're growing, you feel like, 'Hey, we can continue to do things.' And for me, that's a big deal. Could we still grow? Yeah, I think we could've and you kept telling yourself you will. But with this, I think you have to.”

Amy Fickell loves the family’s Midwestern Mayberry, living on the same street as Bengals owner Mike Brown. “If you can continue to get better, that's really what drives Luke, really,” she said. “And that opportunity is definitely there [with the Big 12], so it's very exciting.”

....“We’re not movers,” says Amy Fickell, as she and Luke have never lived full-time out of the state of Ohio.

Indiana is the Midwest, his recruiting ties are the same.  I’d actually say better in South Bend, then there’s the devout Catholic aspect.  I’d be shocked if he said no to ND.

3 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Indiana is the Midwest, his recruiting ties are the same.  I’d actually say better in South Bend, then there’s the devout Catholic aspect.  I’d be shocked if he said no to ND.

I don't think we'll have to worry about it. If Brian Kelly says Marcus Freeman is their next head coach during an interview, odds are that is something that has already been discussed with Marcus. 

11 hours ago, Walter said:

I don't think we'll have to worry about it. If Brian Kelly says Marcus Freeman is their next head coach during an interview, odds are that is something that has already been discussed with Marcus. 

It's not Kelly or Marcus that really matter in that scenario. Schools and coaches say lots of things when it's not crunch time. 

14 hours ago, Walter said:

I think Marcus Freeman is trying to get through year 1.  The refs were very friendly against Toledo.  Who knows?

16 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I think Marcus Freeman is trying to get through year 1.  The refs were very friendly against Toledo.  Who knows?

Not to mention, I don't care what promises ND made, if they know Fickell (proven HC) has interests there is no chance Freeman (unproven as a HC) beats him for the job. Especially if his defense continues to rank between 65-70 in D1 CFB.