#7 Cincinnati at #9 Notre Dame Predictions/Updates

Walter

Irish or Bearcats  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Absolutely! Kelly was asked about scheduling his former employer and he answered by stating that he likes to give those schools the "opportunity" to play a Notre Dame. He added that he has scheduled others like UC and referenced Central Michigan. He said that most times when you offer a school like them (Central Michigan and UC) they jump on the chance to play a school like Notre Dame. 

It seems many in the UC camp took offense to this answer. Many are appalled that he would lump the #7 ranked team in the nation alongside Central Michigan. Others think it was a chance to give one more jab at UC as to why he couldn't refuse the Notre Dame job. As if they're in an entirely different class or tier. 

My opinion is that the lumping of UC and CMU was goofy, but he isn't entirely wrong. UC did jump on that opportunity and it is because they realize until you can compete with/beat teams like Notre Dame they are a level above you! I have no problem with the comments. 

If you're a UC fan, what is there to take offense about? Playing ND as a G5 school is a big deal. It's a big deal for anyone that doesn't play ND regularly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Absolutely! Kelly was asked about scheduling his former employer and he answered by stating that he likes to give those schools the "opportunity" to play a Notre Dame. He added that he has scheduled others like UC and referenced Central Michigan. He said that most times when you offer a school like them (Central Michigan and UC) they jump on the chance to play a school like Notre Dame. 

It seems many in the UC camp took offense to this answer. Many are appalled that he would lump the #7 ranked team in the nation alongside Central Michigan. Others think it was a chance to give one more jab at UC as to why he couldn't refuse the Notre Dame job. As if they're in an entirely different class or tier. 

My opinion is that the lumping of UC and CMU was goofy, but he isn't entirely wrong. UC did jump on that opportunity and it is because they realize until you can compete with/beat teams like Notre Dame they are a level above you! I have no problem with the comments. 

He gave a pretty honest answer. It’s not like they just decided to schedule them right before this year. He scheduled them back in April of 2019. So at the time when he decided to schedule them, it was not like UC as a program was where they are now. So it truly was giving UC a chance to play a team like Notre Dame. Much like he will be giving the other team he coached before a chance in Central Michigan. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, futurecoach said:

He gave a pretty honest answer. It’s not like they just decided to schedule them right before this year. He scheduled them back in April of 2019. So at the time when he decided to schedule them, it was not like UC as a program was where they are now. So it truly was giving UC a chance to play a team like Notre Dame. Much like he will be giving the other team he coached before a chance in Central Michigan. 

No argument from me. I agree

• Like 1

Here's the video of what was being discussed. I personally have no problem with it. He more than gave UC and Fickell credit for how good they are this year and had a lot of good things to say about the program with other comments in the same interview.

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

Regardless of who you're a fan of, I highly recommend reading the above story. Thamel absolutely knocks it out of the park with this detailed, inside look at Luke Fickell, his players, and the UC program. 

I am sure it is a great story but I am stoked about the game.  I am ready to tune in and watch right now.

5 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I like UC to win this one.  I seriously still remember Brian Kelly's betrayal and consistently hope it comes back to bite him.  That said, I do hope Michael Mayer plays well; he is a special talent.

Betrayal? Not sure I would define it as such. BK said all along that the only job he would leave for would be at ND. BK took a lot of heat for the timing of his departure but at the time the recruiting window dictated the timing of coaches departing rather than sticking it out through bowl games. In most cases, the coaches changing schools were caught between a rock and a hard place. At the end of the day, both programs are successful and fans on both sides should be happy. I look forward to a great game as I am a fan of both teams. And yes, Baby Gronk is special. By the way, when will they start calling Gronkowski the "Adult Mayer"?