Joey Votto

On 8/16/2021 at 2:00 PM, sportsfan41 said:

Not sure what his plans are but I would hope to see him retire from Cincinnati and not go somewhere else for a year or two before calling it quits. 

I see him as a Reds lifer.   The only team I could conceive of him being on, other than Cincinnati, would be the Toronto Bluejays.  Given his Canadian roots, he might want to end his career in his home country.

Votto's constant temper tantrums over called strikes are wearing thin with me.  He obviously expects preferential treatment.  While he is having a good year on the diamond, he is living up to his "prima donna" status that he has earned throughout his career. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Votto's constant temper tantrums over called strikes are wearing thin with me.  He obviously expects preferential treatment.  While he is having a good year on the diamond, he is living up to his "prima donna" status that he has earned throughout his career. 

It is extremely rare that he is wrong on called strikes and balls. Perhaps the greatest I have ever seen at batting eye. He is demanding the same level of accuracy out of unpires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mustang said:

That's not just a Votto thing.  Probably just seems that way because you see more Reds games than any other team.   Ball and Strike calls have gotten absolutely horrible in the last decade.   Angel Hernandez is the poster child for it, but there are a lot of bad, inconsistent strike zones.

10 hours ago, The Raven said:

That's not just a Votto thing.  Probably just seems that way because you see more Reds games than any other team.   Ball and Strike calls have gotten absolutely horrible in the last decade.   Angel Hernandez is the poster child for it, but there are a lot of bad, inconsistent strike zones.

Agree 1000%.  And the audacity of some of these umps to have short fuses if someone questions their calls, just adds to my belief that we would be better off with robo-umps calling the balls and strikes.

Either that, or you have to have a heart-to-heart talk with the umpires' union about replacing/demoting/penalizing umps who are consistently bad.  There is absolutely no reason why Angel Hernandez should still be doing MLB games right now.

Honestly thought the ump from Sunday that we had, cheated the Reds, I do not have a belief that they can be that bad.  He literally was as bad as a little league guy, and it made their pitcher who is normally bad look great.  Was interesting that Vegas had the Marlins as favorites the last two games of the series.  That guy should not be allowed behind the plate again.  Our players and coaches were visible upset, Suarez and manager tossed.   Reds let him have it after the game as he was walking off and they should have.  He stuck us

• 2 years later...

If it was his final game as a Red and he is not on a team at the start of the 2024 season, I hope the Reds find a spot for him in their organization.   Fan relations or something like that.   Or, if they really want to have mercy on us that watch them on TV, put him in the booth with Sadak and spare us the pain of listening while Barry Larkin says nothing for innings on end.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

If it was his final game as a Red and he is not on a team at the start of the 2024 season, I hope the Reds find a spot for him in their organization.   Fan relations or something like that.   Or, if they really want to have mercy on us that watch them on TV, put him in the booth with Sadak and spare us the pain of listening while Barry Larkin says nothing for innings on end.

Get rid of Sadak and Larkin. Bring Thom back and pair him Votto or Graves.