Scrimmage Week

On 8/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, Brcatz said:

Any info on the Simon Kenton vs Lex Cath scrimmage from last night?

Well if someone was counting Lex Cath 7TD to SK 2TD, but it was a controlled scrimmage, no touching QB, 10 plays. LC has some nice new and old weapons back, SK has some dudes on the line, especially that one DE.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

Well if someone was counting Lex Cath 7TD to SK 2TD, but it was a controlled scrimmage, no touching QB, 10 plays. LC has some nice new and old weapons back, SK has some dudes on the line, especially that one DE.   

Lexington Catholic did 7 on 7 at St.X couple weeks ago and I was impressed with them. They have some good skill guys and QB.

• Like 1

Tonight:

BG vs Male - any video?

X at Freddie’s Farm on NFHS

Simon K at CovCath

Caldwell at Owensboro NFHS 8 central

scott county vs Central on NFHS

Hoptown at McCracken- video?

LCA at South Oldham

North Hardin at Franklin county

Graves vs Henderson

• Like 1

Went to the Male v BG scrimmage at Nelson County.  Significant weather delayed the Nelson County vs Seneca scrimmage so when I got there those teams were warming back up after a weather delay and played another 2 quarters which pushed BG and Male back obviously.  (that game wasn't very entertaining - sorry and lol).

BG vs Male scrimmage included 2 full varsity quarters (had planned on 3 before weather delay) and 1 12 minute running clock for the JV squads (as BG wanted to get home).

Male won the varsity scrimmage 14-0.  On BGs opening possession after Male punted, BG went about 4 or 5 plays and had to punt.  On the punt, the long snapper snapped it over the punters head. The BG punter for whatever reason looked up to see what or who was around him before he had the ball and when he did that the Male player fell on the ball in the end zone 7-0.  The second Male TD was courtesy  of Mr. Anthony who just took the ball away from 2 BG defenders who I think are good enough to play on Saturday somewhere.  But it was also a good throw by Schutte.  Was obviously impressed with Brown (at times unblockable), #17 LB, Anthony (terrific catch and athlete) and #7 RB (if you play Male and you struggle in your front 7; you are going to get a healthy diet of #7 and he's a load!).  Play makers all over the field.  I thought their OLine was good but not great.  Make no mistake I was impressed with all these guys, but the guy I may have been "most" impressed by was QB Nic Schutte.  He was patient, he can scramble, he finds the 3rd or 4th option (that killed BG for field position tonight).  He isn't the fastest guy, but he is deceptively quick and elusive, knows went to run and uses his blockers well.  He makes nice throws.  He put that TD where Anthony could go make a play on it and he did.  To beat Male this season in KY, IMO they are going to have be flat for a good portion of the game as they have too many guys that can hurt you.  Can they lose?  Yes, but I don't see a lot of weaknesses.

For BG, their defensive unit was great tonight!  They gave up the Anthony TD and some other good Male plays, but they also got sacks, got INTs, made tackles in the backfield and were sure tacklers downfield.  Very impressed with their effort.  Not many will play 2 quarters vs this Male squad and give up 1 offensive TD.

The BG offense never could get going.  Male had alot to do with that as Brown and #17 and company effectively shut down BGs run game for the most part and made BG QB try to beat them.  He made some good plays but they are predominantly short plays, which allowed Male to keep the pressure on inside 10 -15 yards of the line of scrimmage.  Hard to loosen that area up on a really solid Male D when you don't try a deep ball.  But BG won't see many defenses as good as the one tonight.

JV quarter was 0-0.  Male offense likely made more plays but BG D made 4th and goal line stand then marched back to midfield before turning it over on downs.  All about the reps.

Hope both teams can use this film to continue to improve.  I didn't see any major injuries for either team, which is key for a scrimmage!  On to Highlands!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/12/2021 at 10:38 PM, Tigerpride94 said:

Any word on how it went?

Dixie scored 6 times in the first half, Mason scored once at the end of the half. Then after a few JV plays, called due to lightning. Really cool to see kids from Newport show up to see coach Wynn. He will get Mason County on the road to right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1