John Brannen - Cincinnati Issues

Walter

1 hour ago, Walter said:

That's the way it's looking.

The AD needs to do something ASAP... The longer this drags out, the worse shape UC's program is going to be in. 

Agreed.

Pay the man or let him finish out the contract that both parties agreed to.

Actively looking for reasons to fire a coach is a terrible look for the entire athletic department.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

Agreed.

Actively looking for reasons to fire a coach is a terrible look for the entire athletic department.

I’d say he’s getting fired. They’re just trying to save themselves a few mill by finding a “for cause” reason. 

And just like that... Justin Williams drops an absolute bomb that explains why this process has been playing out so slowly. 

Not going to post exact quotes since the article is behind a paywall, but if comments made in his article from another former player and additional sources are accurate, John Brannen is going to find it extremely tough to find another head coaching job.

Some serious allegations regarding player safety and negligence when it comes to their health.

Brannen was apparently reprimanded earlier in the season for exceeding allotted practice hours (CARA violation) and then held a team meeting demanding to know who turned him in to administration.

Additional comments also mentioned methods Brannen used to get  information on his players and why there were so many trust issues not only with this year's team, but also last year's. 

2 hours ago, MBWC41 said:

Agreed.

Based on the most recent article regarding the situation, I'd say UC has legit cause and aren't just looking for a reason to fire a coach. 

Brannen has some serious personality and management issues that he needs to step away and try to correct.... Assuming these new source and player allegations are correct. 

On 3/17/2021 at 1:40 PM, Voice of Reason said:

@Walter

There is a thread on here somewhere that covered a lot about Carson Williams and Faulkner leaving and their issues with Brannen. @theguru called that smoke.  If it is smoke to this situation, let's call it heavy smoke leading to a multi-alarm fire.

@Walter

Here is the thread I was referring to. I read through it. I don't see anything really revealing in the thread other than two key players leaving the team. The last post in the thread does make this statement:

"Brannen has a reputation for a lack of honesty with his players."

I was the one raising the most questions about Brannen in this thread, and being chastised about it by a couple posters.image.gif.406f51ba044713c712193078b23c605c.gifimage.gif.406f51ba044713c712193078b23c605c.gifimage.gif.406f51ba044713c712193078b23c605c.gifimage.gif.406f51ba044713c712193078b23c605c.gifimage.gif.406f51ba044713c712193078b23c605c.gifAnyway, here is the thread related to the Williams and Faulkner transfers from NKU that you asked about in your original post.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2021 at 2:06 PM, Tomcats1990 said:

If I’m Cincy go get Mills from ORU and hope his 2 stud players will follow him.

If I am Mills I stay right where I am and wait for the next opportunity.  UC is a dumpster fire right now.  The AD has no one to blame except himself for the way this has been handled.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

If I am Mills I stay right where I am and wait for the next opportunity.  UC is a dumpster fire right now.  The AD has no one to blame except himself for the way this has been handled.

Cincy is still a huge step up in prestige and $$$ and I believe if a guy like Mills would take the job could turn Cincy back into a Contender.

1 hour ago, Tomcats1990 said:

Cincy is still a huge step up in prestige and $$$ and I believe if a guy like Mills would take the job could turn Cincy back into a Contender.

UC is a dumpster fire right now!  They obviously are grasping at straws to try and find anything to not have to pay Brannen his money.  If there was anything there, he would have been fired already.  If I am any coach with a promising future, why do I want to come in to a situation with this AD?  I will wait, there will be plenty of better opportunities.  I was to accept, I would have a phone conversation with Mr. Brannen first.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, bjknku02 said:

UC is a dumpster fire right now!  They obviously are grasping at straws to try and find anything to not have to pay Brannen his money.  If there was anything there, he would have been fired already.  If I am any coach with a promising future, why do I want to come in to a situation with this AD?  I will wait, there will be plenty of better opportunities.  I was to accept, I would have a phone conversation with Mr. Brannen first.

And the first question to Brannen is, Why did you walk off the floor on your own team?

All the he said they said arguments in the world can't explain away that one.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, bjknku02 said:

Another former player speaking out...

Jarron Cumberland was also VERY vocal at the beginning of this season and throughout last season about the issues he had with JB both on and off the floor. Blame the AD all you want but there's plenty of current and former players confirming UC program is a dumpster fire because of the coach and his lack of leadership/management/communication.  These players left because of the coach, not the AD.

The process is dragging because lawyers are involved. Cunningham has a law and compliance background. He isn't placing Brannen on administrative leave if he doesn't have cause to fire him. He is simply making sure they don't miss anything. The slow process is frustrating but I'm fine with John Cunningham doing everything he has to in order to save the University 5.25 mil. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

And the first question to Brannen is, Why did you walk off the floor on your own team?

All the he said they said arguments in the world can't explain away that one.

And I am sure John would admit that was a mistake.  Does he have a history of this, no.  Most likely frustrated, almost snuck in to the tourney and his team just got run off the floor.    

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Another former player speaking out...

Jarron Cumberland was also VERY vocal at the beginning of this season and throughout last season about the issues he had with JB both on and off the floor. Blame the AD all you want but there's plenty of current and former players confirming UC program is a dumpster fire because of the coach and his lack of leadership/management/communication.  These players left because of the coach, not the AD.

The process is dragging because lawyers are involved. Cunningham has a law and compliance background. He isn't placing Brannen on administrative leave if he doesn't have cause to fire him. He is simply making sure they don't miss anything. The slow process is frustrating but I'm fine with John Cunningham doing everything he has to in order to save the University 5.25 mil. 

I guess we will just sit back and wait to see what happens.  It is obvious this AD has nothing on Brannen and is going to be grasping at straws to get rid of him.  If he had anything, Brannen would have already  been terminated.  Hopefully, they look at Cunningham next after this is all over, for being an inept AD.