John Brannen - Cincinnati Issues

Walter

9 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

And I am sure John would admit that was a mistake.  Does he have a history of this, no.  Most likely frustrated, almost snuck in to the tourney and his team just got run off the floor.    

I hear you, but I have played, coached and watched a lot of sports and I have never seen a coach abandon his team like that. IMO - Big red flag to other problems and to his character.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bjknku02 said:

I guess we will just sit back and wait to see what happens.  It is obvious this AD has nothing on Brannen and is going to be grasping at straws to get rid of him.  If he had anything, Brannen would have already  been terminated.  Hopefully, they look at Cunningham next after this is all over, for being an inept AD.    

I agree with you on this point. Cunningham is putting his career on the line with this move also. He better be right or this fiasco will cost him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I hear you, but I have played, coached and watched a lot of sports and I have never seen a coach abandon his team like that. IMO - Big red flag to other problems and to his character.

Yeah. I completely agree. There are a lot of things that coaches do to “send a message”, but walking off like that, especially in the final game, is like violating an unwritten rule. Also, isn’t it odd how Cumberland was almost vilified last year, and now everyone is like “hey. He knew before anyone”? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

I guess we will just sit back and wait to see what happens.  It is obvious this AD has nothing on Brannen and is going to be grasping at straws to get rid of him.  If he had anything, Brannen would have already  been terminated.  Hopefully, they look at Cunningham next after this is all over, for being an inept AD.    

Again... The AD isn't placing his basketball coach on Administrative leave if he doesn't feel he has a case against him to fire for cause. There's also levels to that type of decision that people are ignoring. The President is likely very much aware of any accusations and also had a say in the decision along with any outside Legal counsel that UC is using to confirm the findings of their internal investigation.

Look at the language in JB's contract below. He can't just be fired without an investigation of allegations and then a 14 day written notice of a hearing to discuss the allegations that are being used against him to terminate for cause. 

So what AD Cunningham and outside legal counsel are doing right now is gathering all facts, conducting interviews, making sure stories match, interpreting those stories/allegations as to how they could be a breach of contract either on the NCAA or University level, and then they will proceed. 

See the Kansas situation when Les Miles was hired... That is a perfect example of why an AD must have ALL facts before proceeding with a firing with cause. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Again... The AD isn't placing his basketball coach on Administrative leave if he doesn't feel he has a case against him to fire for cause. There's also levels to that type of decision that people are ignoring. The President is likely very much aware of any accusations and also had a say in the decision along with any outside Legal counsel that UC is using to confirm the findings of their internal investigation.

Look at the language in JB's contract below. He can't just be fired without an investigation of allegations and then a 14 day written notice of a hearing to discuss the allegations that are being used against him to terminate for cause. 

So what AD Cunningham and outside legal counsel are doing right now is gathering all facts, conducting interviews, making sure stories match, interpreting those stories/allegations as to how they could be a breach of contract either on the NCAA or University level, and then they will proceed. 

See the Kansas situation when Les Miles was hired... That is a perfect example of why an AD must have ALL facts before proceeding with a firing with cause. 

They are dotting i's and crossing t's...which is the way it should be done.  

• Like 1

I would think, at this point,  Brannen is just waiting to be paid to go away.   Clearly the brass at UC don''t seem to want him.  If he quits he gets nothing, but I don't know why you'd want to be at a school that doesn't want you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

This is just me, but that seems to give an impression of "I may have done something wrong, but you're not the one who can do anything about it."  Trying to stay, based upon a technicality.  Again, just my impression.

I felt the same way reading it. 

10 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

This is just me, but that seems to give an impression of "I may have done something wrong, but you're not the one who can do anything about it."  Trying to stay, based upon a technicality.  Again, just my impression.

My understanding is Mars is trying to argue a technicality that may or may not apply to Brannen and would basically be determined by a judge. 

The Ohio state law has a section on administrative leave, but it is voided if the employee is under contract.

UC was going to put him on administrative leave last Tues but the issue above came up. UC sorted through everything to make sure they were doing things by the book and then placed him on administrative leave since there's nothing in his contract about administrative leave and how it has to be handled.